Why did LE seize BD's & SA's phones?

I understand LE can trace the info contained on disposable phones but I was wondering if the phone itself has like a Serial Number which possibly can be tracked to "ownership" and "when" and "where" it was purchased ... maybe --maybe -- a lead could come out of this ...

I know -- this is probably "grasping at straws" ... but just wondering ...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sounds doable to me..but, if they had possession of the phone, that's all they would need...the number allocated to the phone. imo

Sounds doable to me..but, if they had possession of the phone, that's all they would need...the number allocated to the phone. imo

I have to say yes, sorta. To buy it NOPE pay cash n you are gone. But to activate it and load min YES wel sorta. grr. By phone you can use check credit or debit. Traceable inless ya stole a credit card etc. To load ot with cash you have to walk into the cell phone store and show ID. My store photocooied mine... and kept it in a file so I wouldn't have to show it every time. I then passed it on to my dad, info didn't match and he had to show ID as well. can't sau it works that way everywhere tho.

Sure, but remember that he gave his interview well after the affidavit was released (in fact, he talks about a lot of the stuff in it). So he would have been well aware that LE had a record of who he called and when, and there would be no point in lieing about it. If he called HD, BD or anyone else he would have said so and given some reason for doing that, but he said he called his mom, so it is reasonable to conclude that that likely is true.

We can assume reasonable things when dealing with reasonable people. Remember though that we're dealing with people who, when Hailey first went missing, the LE had a heckuvatime sorting truth from fiction...which is why (LE claims) they had such a rocky start in her search.
Remember also that these are the people who claim to love her.

Well, I guess we won't know anytime soon what evidence/value the phone records hold. Didn't expect that they would be released and certainly don't want anything out there that could jeopardize the investigation or future prosecution of those responsible. Still, curious as heck! LE refused the request for them to be released under the Freedom of Information act...

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=343746

Well, I guess we won't know anytime soon what evidence/value the phone records hold. Didn't expect that they would be released and certainly don't want anything out there that could jeopardize the investigation or future prosecution of those responsible. Still, curious as heck! LE refused the request for them to be released under the Freedom of Information act...

If their refusing to release them it must be good.

One thing I was always curious about. BD could have used someone's computer and logged onto Verizonwireless to see what calls and texts were placed on her phone. She could have done that the day she reported Hailey missing. I would have done this immediately to make sure received or sent text messages hadn't been deleted from the phone and to get a list of numbers called and received.

Interesting ...

The Affidavits contain information regarding the cell phone "pings" of a certain person ... and we know who this person is ... (not sure if I can name him)

What we do not know and will not know because it would jeopardize the investigation is :

WHO is the person he called and / or text messaged ...

It seems to me that this person would be the "other person(s)" LE has their eyes on.

I hope that made sense ... :waitasec:

Prayers for Hailey and that she is found soon !

One thing I was always curious about. BD could have used someone's computer and logged onto Verizonwireless to see what calls and texts were placed on her phone. She could have done that the day she reported Hailey missing. I would have done this immediately to make sure received or sent text messages hadn't been deleted from the phone and to get a list of numbers called and received.

I think some WS members even advised Billie's friend how to do that when she first started posting here before Billie went on NG. IIRC, her friend said she would help Billie because Billie didn't have internet access. I wonder if she ever did...

BBM: This is a good point.

But then again, there's a lot of a things BD didn't do ...

Interesting ...

The Affidavits contain information regarding the cell phone "pings" of a certain person ... and we know who this person is ... (not sure if I can name him)

What we do not know and will not know because it would jeopardize the investigation is :

WHO is the person he called and / or text messaged ...

It seems to me that this person would be the "other person(s)" LE has their eyes on.

I hope that made sense ... :waitasec:

Prayers for Hailey and that she is found soon !

BBM

Makes perfect sense to me. :websleuther:

I am not familiar with disposable/pre-paid cell phones.

I am wondering do these types of phones have a Serial Number ? Not just the SIM Card but an imprinted serial number imbedded in there.

A serial number that can be traced and/or tracked ... possibly through another service provider and that may lead to another person, their debit or credit card purchase, their records ... ? a possible trail ...

Almost everything today has a Tracking Number or Bar Code on it ... especially electronics and communication devices.

Pre-paid phones are bought by people for various reasons, like limiting calls and limiting their children's calls, financial reasons, no contract commitments ...

But some people associate "disposable" and "pre-paid" cell phones with drug dealers ... for obvious reasons.

I hope I explained this so that it made some sense.

Prayers for Hailey, and I hope she is found soon.

I bought my son a t-mobile "disposable" phone -- thought I can't figure out why they call them disposable...I wouldn't throw it away. If you remove the battery, there's an ESN number on it.

The embedded ESN is generally located under or below the battery of a mobile device, or on the back of the device itself. Once embedded, the ESN is not easily alterable, which is why it can be used to electronically check the mobile device against fraudulent use or ownership.

Though, IMHO, the ESN number in disposable phones is used more as a factory locator/lot number for any returns/defects. The number can also be traced to the store where it was purchased, and ultimately to the owner (if paid by cc).

Once the telephone number is activated, the carrier can then go on to record all calls, texts, and pings.

MOO

Mel

They have the "supposed" phones that were used in the calls so it should be easy to trace the info contained on them and get the records. Without the phones, I'm not sure how they would get or track the info...unless backtracking from another number they knew they called. I've heard you must sign when purchasing the disposables to activate, but NOT sure. I'm oblivious to them too. What concerns me is if they had purchased one, used it, and it's unknown????? Especially, if they used cash to purchase it. ???

Here's some info:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5059009_trace-tracfone-number.html

For t-mobile you do. You either do this via the phone by entering your telephone number and buying minutes either by credit card, or by a pre-paid card. You can also log in on line and check your balance, add minutes, and look at your calls (that's what I do). We use it so much, we're now gold members (which means I get minutes cheap).

Even if you buy a phone by cash, once it's activated, the calls are traceable -- which no doubt would lead straight back to the owner :) It's hard to get around stuff these days!

MOO

Mel

OK! I am now certain LE is holding information about HD. :banghead:

:twocents: She's a minor, if she was "placed" elsewhere by LE those records are sealed and we won't be told jack. Apparently it's bad enough that the parents have not even been told.
I've felt it since they returned that vehicle so quickly. IT was IMO ***this is just MY BELIEF ONLY*** like midway through CSI techs got a call... Got a call from DPS there has been no murder/abductoin, child at this time is a ward of the state,the public incliding the family is not to be notified... return the car to the family. We will not be holding anymore scheduled press conferences and will advise the public accordingly. OUR POI has yet to be identified through DNA, however the victim alleges it was *John Doe* we will be removing the other child from the home. Andand placing suspect under 24 hr surveillence at this time. In TX it is a felony to commit **?** on a child under (is it 16 in TX) blah blah.
Sparky goes on TV goofy grin...
remember folks this may have been going on since she was 11!!!
Those are some pretty serious charges. It could be a while before they get the results.

Sooo I'm gonna wait right here with my glass half-full...
LE is watching the parents activity in the mean time... I know HD wants to livw with her daddy! But CLINT needs a come to Jesus meetin. OR whomever he worships...

IF and I do mean IF Haleigh told a judge that this had been going on 2+ years, and that her both of her parents knew about it and did NOTHING------
They just might not get her back.
I have a feeling LE will tell us soon. :woohoo:
*I'll hush now -sorry..

I am wondering why we are talking about disposable/throw away phones. I thought SA had a blackberry. I am not sure what BD had. But, a Blackberry is certainly not a throw away. Is there someplace that indicates their phones were throw away? tia

:twocents: She's a minor, if she was "placed" elsewhere by LE those records are sealed and we won't be told jack. Apparently it's bad enough that the parents have not even been told.
I've felt it since they returned that vehicle so quickly. IT was IMO ***this is just MY BELIEF ONLY*** like midway through CSI techs got a call... Got a call from DPS there has been no murder/abductoin, child at this time is a ward of the state,the public incliding the family is not to be notified... return the car to the family. We will not be holding anymore scheduled press conferences and will advise the public accordingly. OUR POI has yet to be identified through DNA, however the victim alleges it was *John Doe* we will be removing the other child from the home. Andand placing suspect under 24 hr surveillence at this time. In TX it is a felony to commit **?** on a child under (is it 16 in TX) blah blah.
Those are some pretty serious charges. It could be a while before they get the results.

LE is watching the parents activity in the mean time... I know HD wants to livw with her daddy! But CLINT needs a come to Jesus meetin. OR whomever he worships...

IF and I do mean IF Haleigh told a judge that this had been going on 2+ years, and that her both of her parents knew about it and did NOTHING------
*I'll hush now -sorry..

I think this would be a wonderful outcome, but I don't think LE or CPS plays these kind of games. This would be total deceit and I don't think it would be ethical. But, it is a good dream to have and I too would love for HD to be alive somewhere.jmo

*I'll hush now -sorry..

The only thing that I can't make work with your theory (which is a good one, imo) is that LE would allow local searchers and national search teams to continue searching for someone when LE knows her location. But, maybe they would depending on the circumstances - just seems very risky for LE to intentionally fool the public in such a way. If your theory is correct, it could explain why LE has not wanted TES involved in more expansive and technical search. I hope you're right gngr and that Hailey is alive and being protected...

I think some WS members even advised Billie's friend how to do that when she first started posting here before Billie went on NG. IIRC, her friend said she would help Billie because Billie didn't have internet access. I wonder if she ever did...

Is BD not savy to computers and online account access to cell phones? She seems to be savy enough to cruise the internet at work and find true crime stories to print, so I dunno yllek. Just saying if it were my daughter I would have walked over hot coals barefoot to figure out who she talked to that day, and at what time.

Also, knowing that teens will delete messages they don't want Mom to read, I would have needed to reassure myself by looking at the phone records online. Plus, at that time in the case she couldn't have been 100% sure that Hailey did not run away. That makes Hailey's calls and texts for the week prior all the more important!!

Finding someone with a computer and online access couldn't have been that hard ...

I don't think CPS is hiding Hailey. IMO Neither LE nor the state is going to allow searches to continue if she is hidden.
I think the phones hold evidence, not just clues but evidence that points to what and who harmed Hailey. jmoo

Ginger love the theory, but I don't think the LE would let searchers, LRC, Klass Kids come in and waste money if they knew Hailey was safe and sound. JMOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back