Why would the DT not use a mental defense?

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by Necelicious, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Broderick

Broderick New Member

Killers aren't insane, especially the ones that plan and are evil. They know right from wrong. They are just evil. If we start categorizing every killer that is a psychopath or sociopath as having mental illness our jails will be a lot thinner - but the hospitals will be full. You can't fix evil.

2. Marple

Marple Well-Known Member

The sociopath in my life, when questioned about an inconsistency says, "Oh, I'm sorry. You must have misunderstood." And if pressed that no, I did not misunderstand, he says, "I'm sorry. I must have miscommunicated what I was saying."

ETA: This particular socio is a former coworker who drove everyone batty before he was unceremoniously dumped by the company for doing sneaky and underhanded things for SPORT. The key word being SPORT. It's a cat/mouse game for sociopaths to see what they can get away with.

3. kathyn2

kathyn2 Active Member

Casey is not crazy. She is evil. Pure and simple. A bad seed as in the movie from the 1960s. Very scary but not crazy. She knows exactly what she does and she knows right from wrong but she has no conscience, only thinks of herself and has no feelings for anyone else. She enjoys pulling things over on people. Her parents didn't teach her to lie. She made an art form out of it and her whole family fell for it hook, line and sinker. They all walked on eggshells around her so poor Casey wouldn't get upset. She ruled the roost. I wonder how the heck that Baez thought he was going to pull this defense off on these jurors? Its so apparent what she is. I wonder if Baez is going to spend his life trying to save this woman who is just evil? I can just see him spending years trying to get her out of jail or off death row. The prosecution has shown that this woman tried to use every single person she knew and was evil to them to. I wish they could have shown them she was a thief etc. Now I just pray the State can prove that she murdered her baby that she no longer wanted or needed.

4. onamission

onamission Member

I could not agree more, KC has never been held accountable for her bad deeds, she is a spoiled brat who thinks that she is insurmountable. A few weeks with no car, no phone or other consequences (imposed upon her as a teen) may have had an impact instead she now faces the ultimate punishment.

5. Marple

Marple Well-Known Member

I always wonder what would have happened if the Cowboy hadn't swooped into Orlando and posted her bond. I think the lie would have stopped if she'd just had to sit there a while longer. JMHO

6. kaRN

kaRN Verified Health Professional - Registered Nurse

She doesn't have a treatable or diagnosable mental illness and she knows the difference between right and wrong so no insanity defense for ICA. Mercy will keep her off death row and free to mingle with all the other sociopaths.

7. miss plum

miss plum New Member

They would have just mucked up a mental defense anyway:

"Since my client was six years old, or was she fourteen, no she was defintely eight, she has been a 'Biped' I mean she has been 'Bipolar' and A-ha! that why she seems as cold as the North and South Poles, I rest my case."

8. BD1

BD1 Member

If I was on the jury I'd really hope to hear from a shrink as to her mental state. I'd be really, really wondering right about now just what her deal was.

9. krkrjx

krkrjx The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Same here. I would be thinking what much of the rest of the nation is thinking...that KC must be crazy. And I think right about now DT hopes like crazy (no pun) to get a mistrial declared so they can change their defense into one that includes mental illness. I am not sure KC would automatically win on a mental defense but I bet jurors are wondering why DT didn't go that way.

10. Kreeblim

Kreeblim New Member

She's sat for years now and she still doubled down on the bull.

11. 1Chump

1Chump New Member

For a mental defense, Casey would have to admit to killing Caylee.

12. sweetmop

sweetmop Active Member

Dear gngr~snap, God bless you.

13. sweetmop

sweetmop Active Member

Exactly! They probably labeled her as a sociopath!:maddening:

14. sweetmop

sweetmop Active Member

Oh, I sooooo agree with this!!!

15. costalpilot

costalpilot Active Member

bingo. i was wondering, but THAT is the anser

but they could have if she had said it was an accident and my "mental state" prevented me from admitting it for so long (right?)

and, imo, that may have really worked for the jury----but she couldnt do it.

WILL NOT ADMIT to anything that might even remotely make her look bad

imo

16. NocturnalLady

NocturnalLady New Member

Thanks. I missed that somehow.

My question is - can the defense doctor shop for a psychiatrist that will say whatever they want? Or is it the case that any doctor that sees Casey will produce a report which will then be available to the prosecution as well as part of discovery? I think the doctor's report does not become discovery unless the defense wants to use it in the case, correct? So if the defense got a doctor that came up with a diagnosis that the defense did not want made public could they ever toss that report aside in favor of a report they liked? Or do ALL doctor reports come into discovery even if the defense only wanted to use certain ones?

Hope I'm making sense there. I'm just shocked that Casey has not been diagnosed with any disorder when it seems so clear that SOMETHING is wrong with her. My immediate response is to think that whatever doctor the DT hired is about as good as the rest of their "experts" and they just missed whatever is wrong with Casey. That just seems more likely than the idea that nothing is wrong with her!

17. NocturnalLady

NocturnalLady New Member

Agree - she's definitely an "all in" kind of gal.

18. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

Both the lawyer and the client share similar personality traits that let them think they can pull off anything. In addition there was a lot of fame and fortune to be made from this case and it appealed to both.

19. Leomoon80

Leomoon80 Well-Known Member

I haven't read all these many posts on any of these threads, yet I know from the tone of other threads I've been on, that the majority of people wish to see Casey dead, in retaliation of her daughter's death, i.e. the Death Penalty.

I find this immensely sad as the human condition in the U.S. seems to be as in the Middle East, or "an eye for an eye" Retribution.

There is no doubt and never has been for me, that Casey is mentally ill.

We need only look at her fantasy life, all contrived as well as the so-called evidence of "heart stickers" which personally, I think she did put on the duct tape.

Why would someone do this if they were not mentally ill?

Certainly, IF it were someone in your family, your child, your granddaughter in such a terrible state as this, and being lambasted on that awful NG show each night for 3 years, (how can they ever find someone on a jury who didn't see this show?)
    Certainly, you would be able then to put yourself, in their shoes.

I just don't know why they did not opt for the mental illness defense from the "get-go" and took the attitude with the protective cocoon around her as this family did for months (how many months was it I forgot?)

All those months of appearing on TV insisting that Zanny was "real".......and all those months of flat out denial did nothing to help their daughter's growing, real and oppressive mental illnesses which must be legion by now.

20. USARDOG

USARDOG New Member

I thought the insanity defence only applied to people who could not tell right from wrong. ICA definitly knew right from wrong as evidenced by her attempting to hide the crime. As far as mentaly ill, I'm sure she is, IMO she is one sick little girl IMO, but did she know it was wrong to kill her daughter... She sure did!