GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, State vs McCandless

Discussion in 'Trials' started by mojook, Oct 15, 2019.

1. ChicagoChic

ChicagoChic Well-Known Member

I didn't watch from the beginning either, but started during the final few days. I am now catching up. Looking at the timeline of events as reported on Court TV, I was stunned at how tight the sequence of events were--she was having sex with both Alex (the victim) and John (Jason's friend) at the same time--I didn't know that. That tight timeline makes me that much more confident of the jury's decision.

Ezra McCandless, 22, allegedly murdered 24-year-old Alex Woodworth on March 22, 2018, in the Town of Spring Brook. McCandless claims her actions were in self-defense. Prosecutors say she intentionally lured Woodworth to his death to rid herself of inner turmoil.

Here’s a timeline of events:

• Nov. 2017: Ezra McCandless and Alex Woodworth begin a sexual relationship while she’s dating Jason Mengal.

• Feb. 5: Mengal leaves for military training for two weeks.
    • Feb. 26: Mengal initiates a rape report to police after McCandless tells him she was sexually assaulted by his best friend, John Hansen. McCandless tells police she had sex with Woodworth during those two weeks as well.
    • March 3: Woodworth is interviewed in the rape investigation. He tells police McCandless told him she willingly had sex with Hansen, then regretted it.
    • March 22: McCandless shows up at a private residence covered in blood and mud. She is taken to a local hospital.
    • March 23: Woodworth’s body is found in the rear seat of McCandless’s car.
    • March 24: McCandless changes her statement.
    • April 6: McCandless is charged with first-degree intentional homicide.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019

2. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

Thank you. The maps you shared are very helpful.

I think there’s more to the story at the apartment as well. I also think there’s more to the dynamics between Alex, Jason and Ezra. I have a hard time believing there’s not more to it.

I wish we had a verified insider or local in here to help us understand all this a little better.
    jmo

3. TTF14

TTF14 Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert

10/24/19 Defendant's Ex-Boyfriend Says He 'Never Stopped Loving Her' - Court TV

Starting around 11:30, Jason's questioned by the defense attorney and she clearly does not want him to say he heard "Let him help you." She said, "you thought that's what you heard." He said, "NO. I heard that."

4. Tippy Lynn

Who is the guy who can help Alex and what does he need help with?

I would love to have an explanation on what that means.

5. TTF14

I wish someone would have asked her about that on the stand.

6. Tippy Lynn

Me tooooooo!

7. Gtw999

Gtw999 Member

Some musings after verdict

DA did well in closings. “One more lie” theme excellent. Of course defendant’s attorney didn’t like, tried to object

DA did well at swatting away the defendant’s expert’s testimony.

defendant’s attorney was weak. But he did have little to work with. He had wanted the experts to do the defendant’s work, but the DA had undermined that. So he was left with Ezra’s testimony, hard for anyone to take at face value.

I wonder about her plans that killing day. They were either (1) motivate Alex to do something for her, and kill him if he did not do so, or (2) just to kill him. DA was saying the first, but I think the second.

how did attack unfold? Clearly it started when he was out of car; only blood splatter on car is on door sill. Not possible she got knife from him and then attacked him as she says. Knowing he was subject to knife attack, he would have defended himself, have cuts on his hands, etc. I think first blow was to the head as Alex was standing at open door to get in. He would not have seen it coming, and probably been very confused. In this circumstance she was able to finish off her butchery, as he was unable to oppose. Maybe he tried to get back into car for protection, or she induced him saying she would drive to hospital.

At any rate, I see the head wound being the first, and being a total surprise to him. It might have surprised her that he was not immediately dead.

MajorHoople and Gardenista like this.
  8. TTF14

Was it to "let him help you? let him help you?"

bbm, rsbm

butwhatif? and MajorHoople like this.
  9. Rekamemoh

Rekamemoh Member

Tippy Lynn, you missed some very interesting and important parts of the trial!

That particular testimony was given by Jason, who was a medic, and who had previously testified that Ezra contacted him around December and asked him to come to Alex’s house to bandage a knife cut in Alex’s wrist. Ezra had used those same words speaking to Alex in December about letting Jason treat the wound, “Let him help you.” Ezra later told Jason that Alex had said he would kill himself if she didn’t become his exclusive girlfriend and Alex had cut his wrist back then in December, the wrist wound which Jason bandaged. Jason testified that when he overheard Ezra’s voice saying those same words again in Alex’s house on March 22, he ran into the house thinking Alex might be hurt.

123Whyaskme? and Tippy Lynn like this.
  10. kahluacream

kahluacream The only way out is through

Everything you said. The apartment is a big black hole. One thing that keeps coming back to me is what an unlikely femme fatale Ezra is.

Tippy Lynn, Rekamemoh and TTF14 like this.
  11. kahluacream

kahluacream The only way out is through

I was very skeptical about Jason overhearing Ezra saying "Let him help you" at the apartment that day. It seems to me that they are all prone to narcissism to one degree or another and I think it's possible Jason was inserting his special brand of empathy and attempting to make himself more relevant in the situation.

12. TTF14

I don't recall that testimony at all. On cross, the defense attorney doesn't even want to talk about that phrase. On redirect, it's not mentioned. (Start around 41 minutes here: 10/24/19 Defendant's Ex-Boyfriend Says He 'Never Stopped Loving Her' - Court TV)

Tippy Lynn likes this.
  13. ChicagoChic

I agree. Listening to Jason's testimony, he presents himself as so supportive and caring (and he may very well have been) but I found myself wondering why he distanced himself from her following the abortion that he didn't express a desire for her not to have--that didn't make sense to me. He went with her to have the procedure and didn't "verbally" tell her that he had an issue with it, but then didn't want to share a bed with her afterwards? He didn't commit this crime, but I find myself wondering about their relationship and how it set the whole thing in motion.

14. Rekamemoh

Rekamemoh Member

It’s true that the Defense lawyers did not want to talk about that. But if you will watch the Prosecution DA examinations of Jason Mendel, which is in 3 videos dated 10/23 on CourtTV website’s “Recent” list, including the police dash cam from the day of the murder, you will see Jason talk about that particular phrase. (Sorry that I cannot figure out how to put a link to those three videos here for you. I am not good at technology.)

Tippy Lynn likes this.
  15. TTF14

I have watched them, but I would go forward and back a lot so I may have missed it. Do you know which one it was in particular? No need to link, I know where to find them :).

16. TTF14

Maybe he was doing some math and realizing it might not be his baby? I mean, if he was thinking "did she abort that baby so I wouldn't find out it's not mine?" it would really mess with your head. Even more than the "ordinary" abortion. Or maybe it was a wake-up call for him that they needed to be more careful because the last thing Ezra needed was to become a mom because she would not be a good one. Girl clearly has issues.

17. Tippy Lynn

That’s why I think she had the abortion. She didn’t know who’s baby it was. Having the abortion on her birthday was another way for her to be a “victim”. Just like her rape accusations, she was the “victim”.

18. ChicagoChic

Gardenista and Tippy Lynn like this.
  19. Rekamemoh

Rekamemoh Member

In the dash cam video Jason very clearly says it to the police officer near the beginning of that 12 minute video.

Tippy Lynn likes this.
  20. TTF14

Yes, I know he says it. But you said this, and this is what I do not recall: "Jason testified that when he overheard Ezra’s voice saying those same words again in Alex’s house on March 22, he ran into the house thinking Alex might be hurt."