WI - Armed Student Reportedly Holding High School Classroom Full of Hostages

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by KaylynnCouture, Nov 29, 2010.

1. KaylynnCouture

KaylynnCouture Well-Known Member

Presser Recap

-3:48pm dispatch center received a call from the high school principal reporting that a student acting alone was in a classroom was holding 23 students and 1 female teacher hostage. LE was notified, and state deputies and a number of other agencies responded.

-Male student was armed with a handgun, refused to release the other students. Was not willing to converse with law enforcement, but LE was able to speak with the teacher and determined no one was injured and no specific reasons were given.

-5 students were released first, debriefed, and they were only released because they had to use the restroom.

-Continued dialog with the teacher 'til 8:03 when officers heard 3 gunshots, went inside the classroom, and saw the suspect standing in front of the classroom.

-Suspect was injured in a self inflicted gunshot wound.

-Urgent care was provided to the gunshot victim. He has been transported to the hospital, condition is unknown.

-15 year old sophomore, regular member of the classroom. Had 2 handguns (22 caliber semi-automatic and 9mm semi-automatic). Gunshots came from BOTH guns.

-Family of the suspect has been notified. They are with their son now.

-Superintendent says the highschool will be closed tomorrow.

2. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Three gunshots; officers "breached the door, entered the classroom, saw the suspect standing in front of the classroom; as the officers approached him, the suspect fired one shot and injured himself with a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

3. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Officers outside heard three gunshots.

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

15 year old Marinette High School student; two handguns in classroom, .22 semi-automatic, .9 mm semi-automatic.

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Shots fired also prior to LE's arrival.

6. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates guys! I don't know if this post will go through, but WS completely bogged down on me.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

School superintendent: high school closed tomorrow; "We too will need to re-group."

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Teacher seems to be doing "quite fine."

9. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Frustrating to have to refresh a page 15-20 times and wait five minutes to load a page.

10. Texas Mist

Texas Mist Retired WS Staff

Marinette student held hostage talks

Updated: Monday, 29 Nov 2010, 10:55 PM CST
    Published : Monday, 29 Nov 2010, 10:42 PM CST
    Reporter: Ben Krumholz

MARINETTE - Austin Biehl, a student at Marinette High School, was held hostage Monday by a classmate.

"I was scared at the beginning, but as it progressed it was just be calm, stay relaxed. Everyone was fine, just relaxed, just like me, except for like two of them," Biehl said of the hostages’ mood during the crisis.

more here

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/Marinette-student-held-hostage-talks

11. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

Pithy statement wfgodot!

12. KaylynnCouture

Student Gunman in Grave Condition

Snipped from http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...dent-gunman-in-grave-condition-after-standoff

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Update: School Hostage Suspect Has Died

Marinette Police Chief Jeff Skorik says 15-year-old Samuel Hengel of Porterfield, the suspect in Monday's hostage situation, died about 10:45 Tuesday morning. An autopsy is now scheduled.

Police checked for evidence at Hengel's home. Police say they do not yet know the boy took the hostages.
    ---
    much more at
    http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=13584042

14. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

This story is soooo tragically sad. I was just reading about this. Those poor students were so brave, and tried to calm the gunman by talking to him. I can't imagine what would drive a 15 year old to do something like this at all.

Luckily, it doesn't seem like he had wanted to hurt the students or the teacher.

15. KaylynnCouture

I wonder what drove him to do this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family..this can't be easy for them right now.

16. reen

reen New Member

My guess has been that he was trying for "suicide by cop," but that he did the job himself when the police came in (maybe after talking with his classmates he decided he didn't want anyone else accidentally hurt by crossfire). And, now he's gone. What a tragic end to a young life.

17. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

This one really puzzles me. He seemed to be well liked, good student, no big red flags, I just don't get it. Outsider and bullying victim he did not appear to be, so what prompted this?

So so sad. I am glad he harmed no one but himself but wish he hadn't done that.

18. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

From the WBAY story:

"Chief Jeff Skorik gave another update Tuesday afternoon.
    He told reporters the situation likely started at about 1:30 p.m Monday. He says the first shots were fired sometime after that point."

Why have I not heard any reporters asking why they waited until 3:48 to notify LE of this situation?

I work at a Jr.High school, and if a class period ended and no one left my classroom, people would notice right away. How on earth did this go unnoticed by any students or staff outside of that room? Did school officials know something was up and try to handle it in-house?

19. annalia

annalia Active Member

I just heard that he passed away. So sad for all involved.

It is so puzzling what his motive could have been, what drove what appeared to be a relatively good kid from a good home to do such a desperate act. I can't imagine what his family and the other students are going through right now. My heart breaks for the boy as well, 15 years old much too young. I'm glad no one else was hurt.

I hope they can at least find out what drove him to this.

20. KaylynnCouture

Gunman Showed No Signs of Disturbing Behavior

Snipped from http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101130/GPG0101/311300174/-1/marinettehostages