WI WI - Audrey Good Backeberg, 20, Reedsburg, 7 July 1962

I wonder if her children are still looking for her. It must have been so hard on them...the not knowing. Somehow I have the feeling she came to harm. But being so young, with a whole live before her...she also could have chosen to leave her "old live" behind, even her children. I think that is still a possibility, but it doesn't sit well with me.

ABackeberg.jpg

Audrey Jean Good Backeberg
Missing since July 7, 1962 from Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: July 6, 1942
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 125 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Crooked left index finger.
    • DNA: Available.
    • Fingerprints: Not Available.
    • Dentals: Not Available.
Circumstances of Disappearance

Audrey married her husband in 1957, when she was 15 years old. She was a 20 year old mother of two children who resided on Vine Street in Reedsburg, Wisconsin.

The marriage was troubled and there were allegations of abuse. On July 4, 1962 Audrey filed a complaint.

Three days later she went to pick up a paycheck, leaving her children and husband at home. Audrey never returned home and has not been heard from again.

Audrey traveled with a 14 year old girl and they hitchhiked to Madison, Wisconsin where they boarded a Greyhound bus and traveled to Indianapolis, Indiana.

They both got off the bus, and the 14 year old turned herself into police as a runaway. Audrey was seen walking around the corner away from the bus stop. She reportedly stated that she did not want to return.

Audrey's family members insisted that she would not abandon her children.

The husband passed a polygraph exam conducted after Audrey's disappearance and has maintained his innocence in her disappearance.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Sauk County Sheriff's Department
Detective Scott Dadam
800-377-1195

Agency Case Number: C 1269
NCIC Number: M792335286

Source Information:

WISC-TV3
NamUs MP #9699
The Doe Network: Case File 163DFWI

I think this has a relation with this clipping, from 2002.....never another search after that? At least no info about it. That seems strange to me, because it was clear the dog handler sabotaged the search. IMO that doesn't mean Audrey isn't out there.

From Upthreat posted by me. In recent years, a tipster came forward, pointing investigators to an area where he believed Audrey’s remains would be found. The man had once been hired as a farm hand by Ron Backeberg. According to the witness, there was a particular area which Ron would never allow to be plowed. An extensive search, which included the use of a well-known search dog, was executed – however, the dog handler later admitted to having planted bones in the past, for her dog to find, in order to boost her reputation. They were no longer considered credible after that. I do not know if the area has been searched again. If it hasn’t, I hope it will be.

"Between her disappearance and June 1990 little happened on the case of the missing woman he said In 1990 family members told the department Backeberg was supposed to meet two men in Indiana “We were never able to substantiate that information” Stammen said"

So that's now two sources mentioning her going, or planning to go, to Indiana, right?

I agree with her loved ones that she wouldn't abandon her children. My personal theory is that was planning on coming home but something happened in Indiana and she lost her life. I would like to know more about these two men she was supposed to meet. Did Audrey tell her family about these men, or did someone else?

All MOO ofc

Audrey Jean Good Backeberg​

Updated: Jan 12, 2022

c6795b_1b330c9a333c4a3bbf5d19e3381ed131~mv2.jpg

Audrey Jean Good Backeberg married her husband Ronald Backeberg at the young age of 15. The couple settled in Reedsburg, Wisconsin and had two children together.

Sadly, Audrey and Ronald’s marriage was troubled and there were allegations of abuse, with a criminal complaint being filed just days before Audrey went missing.

In the complaint, Audrey claimed Ronald had beaten her causing head injuries, threatened to murder her and that he had loaded firearms in his vehicle.

Despite the criminal complaint Audrey remained in the home with her husband and children.

On July 7th 1962, the day after her 20th birthday, Audrey left her family’s home to retrieve her paycheck from the woolen mill where she worked. She never returned, spurring Ronald to reach out to many of her family members to inquire of her whereabouts.

Shortly after Audrey disappeared, the couples fourteen year old babysitter came forward. She claimed that her and Audrey had hitchhiked to Madison, Wisconsin and then caught a bus to Indianapolis, Indiana. Upon arriving, the teenager became nervous and wished to return home, she claimed Audrey refused to return and was last seen walking around the corner of the bus stop.

“The juvenile was interviewed again as an adult, maybe 15 years ago,” Detective Lt. Chris Zunker of the Sauk County Sheriff’s Office said. “She stated Audrey had taken a bunch of pills, put them in a Coke can and drank it before taking the bus down to Indianapolis. She reported Audrey potentially hooked up with some construction workers that may have been in the area.”

Audrey’s family members insist she would never abandon her children. Ronald passed a polygraph exam and always maintained his innocence.

In recent years, a tipster came forward with information that pushed authorities to search a rural area, but nothing was found. The credibility of the search was called into question when the search dog team admitted to planting evidence in other cases.

At the time of her disappearance Audrey Jean Good Backeberg was 20 years old, stood 5’5, and weighed 125 lbs. She had brown hair and hazel eyes and a crippled left index finger.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back