Identified! WI - Barron Co, Skeletal, found in Woodlot, Maple Grove, 3 Dec 2017 - Gary Albert Herbst

Are these the remains or the man from white bear lake, MN a 1982 cold case? There were remains identified in January of this year from Barron County, WI that were found to be a man from white bear lake, mn

Never mind sorry I cannot figure out how to delete my last post. I got this case mixed up with a different John Doe from a long time ago that was identified this year. Sorry!

Never mind sorry I cannot figure out how to delete my last post. I got this case mixed up with a different John Doe from a long time ago that was identified this year. Sorry!
That would be Kraig King. Assuming by the name, I take it you two share a home state.
Has anything new been released regarding his case, funeral, murder investigation etc?
I followed his case intently and his identification was like a Christmas gift as I first found out about it during a family holiday feast.

That would be Kraig King. Assuming by the name, I take it you two share a home state.
Has anything new been released regarding his case, funeral, murder investigation etc?
I followed his case intently and his identification was like a Christmas gift as I first found out about it during a family holiday feast.
I have not heard anything or seen anything but I will make sure I reply to you if I do.

Posted 8 minutes ago:
“DNA Doe Project Case Update: Barron County John Doe 2017

Working in conjunction with the Wisconsin Department of Justice (WDJ), the DNA Doe Project (DDP) has identified the remains recovered from a wooded area south of Barron, Wisconsin in December 2017 as those of Gary Albert Herbst, who was believed to be a homicide victim based on evidence of a gunshot wound to the head.

Special Agent Joe Welsch of the WDJ contacted DDP in January 2019 for assistance in identifying the unknown man. Following sequencing of the DNA in late 2019, advanced bioinformatics ultimately resulted in a usable file which could be uploaded to GEDmatch.com.

Research by DDP volunteer genetic genealogists began on February 25, 2020. In less than two days, team leaders contacted Agent Welsch to offer a likely identity for the John Doe. Agent Welsch was able to secure a DNA sample from a close relative which confirmed the identity of the homicide victim as Gary Albert Herbst.

Team leader Jenny Lecus described the moment the pieces fell into place: ‘There is such exhilaration when through genetic genealogy we can return a name to someone. But a bitter-sweet realization knowing a family will not be getting the answer they hoped for. Our hearts go out to them.’

DDP wishes to acknowledge the contributions of those groups and individuals who helped solve this case: the Barron County Sheriff’s Office; Special Agent Joe Welsch of the Wisconsin Department of Justice who brought the case to DDP; the University of North Texas for providing DNA samples; DNA Solutions for extractions; HudsonAlpha Discovery Life Sciences (formerly Hudson Alpha for Biotechnology) for sequencing; Dr. Gregory Magoon, contracting through Full Genomes Corporation, for bioinformatics; GEDmatch for providing their database; and, of course, the DNA Doe Project’s talented team of volunteers.

Barron Co John Doe 2017 - DNA Doe Project Cases.

Image courtesy of the Family of Gary Herbst

#BarronCountyJohnDoe2017 #GaryAlbertHerbst #Identified #Wisconsin #GeneticGenealogy”
2972D67F-7E6C-4F14-83EA-C0D0E787A5CC.jpeg
DNA Doe Project

Rest In Peace, Mr. Herbst. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Today, the BCA was in my town of Elko New Market, MN at the address Gary Herbst lived at as recently as 2015. I can't find any reports of him being reported missing. Is that strange?

Today, the BCA was in my town of Elko New Market, MN at the address Gary Herbst lived at as recently as 2015. I can't find any reports of him being reported missing. Is that strange?
Not necessarily. Many people are estranged from family or other close relationships.

At approximately 7 a.m. on November 19, Scott County sheriff's detectives arrested Connie Lou Herbst, 62, of New Prague, Minnesota, without incident, in New Prague, and at approximately the same time Scott County sheriff's detectives also arrested Austin James Herbst, 26, of Elko New Market, Minnesota, without incident, in New Prague. The two were booked into the Scott County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder.

“These arrests in this cold case were the result of tremendous multi-agency teamwork, spanning across state lines,” Hennen said.
Two arrested on murder charges after bones found, identified

At approximately 7 a.m. on November 19, Scott County sheriff's detectives arrested Connie Lou Herbst, 62, of New Prague, Minnesota, without incident, in New Prague, and at approximately the same time Scott County sheriff's detectives also arrested Austin James Herbst, 26, of Elko New Market, Minnesota, without incident, in New Prague. The two were booked into the Scott County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder.

“These arrests in this cold case were the result of tremendous multi-agency teamwork, spanning across state lines,” Hennen said.
Two arrested on murder charges after bones found, identified

wow was this his wife and son?????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow