WI WI - Brad Machett, 10, Found Deceased 31 October 1980

Annasthesia

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to Websleuths, though I have read the forums for quite some time. I recently searched for information on this case, prior to posting, and have a difficult time locating many newspaper documents to go along with this. I hope it is okay that I am linking a copy of a blog post, written by a former Milwaukee police officer who has retired as he has much information on Brad's case. The reason why I am sharing here is that I have been friends with Brad's sister for about 11 years now. She has never stopped searching for her brother's killer. It would be nice if she would find some solace after all these years of questions.

Date of Disappearance: 10/26/1980 from Milwaukee, WI
Date Body Found: 10/31/1980
Location of Body: Grafton, WI in a cornfield

As the years have gone by (based on what little research I have done thus far), there have been some names tossed out by law enforcement as potential suspects, but the case has gone cold, and Brad's murder remains unsolved.

Background Story: From the Notebook of a Homicide Detective: The Machett Investigation

Additional Background Story Part 2: From the Notebook of a Homicide Detective: Thr Machett Investigation, Part II

Attachments

• brad-machett.jpg
    brad-machett.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Welcome to Websleuths! I'm so sorry your friend and her family. It sound like you think this is a total stranger abduction? Is it possible someone frequenting the grandmothers bar had been watching him?

Welcome to Websleuths! I'm so sorry your friend and her family. It sound like you think this is a total stranger abduction? Is it possible someone frequenting the grandmothers bar had been watching him?

Thank you!! It seems to me like it was a stranger abduction. There are some other blogs and things that mention the names of people who were considered potential subjects, but I am having a tough time finding much of anything on the web for this case. I will ask his sister and see if she's heard anything like that. Good idea! Thank you Owutatangledweb :)

You are welcome. Hopefully some others will jump in with some ideas. So sad, reminds me of Jacob Wetterling and many others.

The Post-Crescent newspaper from Appleton WI has an article from 3-27-17 about a pedophile named Michael Menzer. (Looks like several other papers ran the story around that same time-frame). Brad is mentioned as a potential victim. Apparently Menzer was out on bond from an arrest in another case when Brad was murdered Interesting and thorough article. (I have a subscription to Newspapers.com which I used to view this article. If you need that, you can get a free 7 day trial).

An earlier article in June 1993 in the Sheboygan Press has a run-down of the search of Menzer's property for carpet fibers that were eventually determined not to match fiber found on Brad.

I'm curious if LE ever located the vehicle Menzer drove at that time and if there'd be any way to search it now?

I notice the homicide blog is by Steve Spingola. I wonder if there is any chance of getting the Cold Justice Team to look into Brad's case?

I wonder if there is any DNA to Snapshot?

Bumping for Brad as we pass the 40th anniversary of his murder...
Forty years. I'm so glad that a family friend started this thread years ago. There is basically nothing about Brad online except the above linked write-ups from Steven Spingola's blog. What a horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back