WI - Children's hospital on lockdown after report of shooting

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Hopeful One, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Justiceforever

Justiceforever New Member

I don't necessarily question if he pulled his weapon and deserved to be shot, as much as I question why MPD wouldn't, as one poster suggested, assess the situation with plainclothes men and stake out the exits. Wait until he was out of the neo natal ward to confront him. This man was not at the hospital to shoot anybody, he was there to see his son.

2. Justiceforever

A thought occurred to me that perhaps another female that he may have been "messing" with, knew he was going to see his baby with another woman and got pissed and called in a tip. Purely speculation on my part. I am going to check out this guys brothers FB after another gallon of coffee. See what I can find out.

3. Justiceforever

Exactly the reason that they should've taken the time to assess the situation and come up with a better game plan!

4. Justiceforever

5. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

And you know this how?

Entirely possible.

Let me just say this: I do not put ANYTHING past a guy who will bring a gun into a NICU. I work in a Peds ICU, and have witnessed (and been the victim of) assaults, threats and much much more.

6. Justiceforever

BBM: From reading his brothers FB page.

Obviously, his brother can't KNOW for sure what was going on in his brothers mind, but I have three sons and if these brothers R like them, he would know his brothers intent, which he stated was only to go see his son.

ADH is an idiot (as are the MPD IMO), if u play with fire u might get burned and he should be thankful for his life everyday he spends in prison without his freedom or his child. At least this time the MPD showed some restraint and only shot him in the arm, which is commendable.

7. Justiceforever

Last night Fox news 6, (while reporting the shooting at Children's Hospital), displayed bullet points with the events as they unfolded.

One of the bullet points said that the suspect *Dropped the baby.

Chief Edward Flynn said very clearly that the suspect "put the baby down." in a news conference earlier in the day.

Just one of those things @ Fox that makes me go hmmm.??

8. meanmaryjean

Respectfully,
    As you said, you cannot know from reading his brother's facebook page WHAT was the intention was. And your experiences with your sons do not equate.
    If I am one of those NICU nurses or parents, I am very, very glad that the threat was removed immediately.

9. Ruby

Ruby New Member

:truce: for my opinion.......

I think the cops would be considered heros if this wanted criminal with felony weapon charges was brandishing a gun and holding/seeing his child and the location was at school vs. a hospital.

Instead of comments being "he was just visiting, he wasn't going to shoot anyone" - Questions would be raised, Why bring a gun to visit your child, did he have plans to use the gun on anyone else? Who knows what could of set him off, he had a warrant for his arrest, he had to have done something in the past that was not good. He should of never been let into the "school" in the first place.

Change the location and it puts a different perspective on things - but in my opinion, why should it - he could have harmed someone in the hospital, he could have visited his baby, then shot the mom. Who knows?

All just an an opinion - :moo:

10. meanmaryjean

^^^^ exactly!! ^^^^

11. Justiceforever

In no way am I defending this *******s actions. I am no longer really questioning if the shooting was justified or not, mainly because MPD showed restraint. I commend them for that. It will be found justified by the MPD whether he pulled his gun or not. I happen to think he did because he was shot in the wrist.
    Good aim.

That does NOT change my opinion @ the idiocy of the actions taken by MPD to approach this guy in the hospital. He wasn't threatening anybody, it seems, so why couldn't it wait. They could have approached the situation a better way with a different outcome, arrest him as he was leaving the building, the whole while survailling him in plain clothes till he exited the building.

12. Zuri

Zuri Active Member

I totally agree with you. Your posts are excellent! JMO And you and I both know that the PD is going to put a justified face on this. Their version of events may or may not be totally factual. Was this guy a criminal? Yes. Did the cops demonstrate good judgement? No. JMV

13. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

If the guy is a drug dealer and **** chances are he carries a gun ALL THE TIME! When he puts his pants on he packs his weapon and he doesn't even THINK about it because it is as natural as carrying keys or a wallet.

He was already violating the law everyday by carrying an illegal weapon so to expect him to think "Oh my, I will be entering a hospital I had best leave my weapon in the vehicle" is just not realistic. People that carry don't carry "when they think they will need it" because they never know when they will need it especially if they are criminals that have enemies.

If you KNOW someone is dangerous but they do not appear to have an evil plan then don't provoke them. Provoking a gun carrying criminal in a hospital's neo-natal ward is just plain reckless.

14. Justiceforever

15. Justiceforever

16. STEADFAST

STEADFAST New Member

As a felon, he had no right to carry a gun in any place or any situation. I would be very angry had I found out that LE knew of a felon carrying a gun in my vicinity and did nothing because they figured he probably wasn't planning on using it. Why did he bring it in if he was just going to visit a baby? He must have thought it was possible that he might use it.

17. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Woah! I am not saying LE should have done NOTHING I am saying LE should have waited to confront when he was OUTSIDE of the hospital (unless he was actually threatening people).

If he carries a firearm all the time (and he probably does) and he is a career criminal he likely didn't THINK about it! He was thinking about visiting his baby etc.... He wasn't thinking "Gosh I am carrying a gun and even though I break the law everyday and have outstanding warrants I should NOT take this gun into a hospital".

I am not the slightest bit sympathetic towards this criminal BUT that does not mean I would want LE confronting him and provoking him around my loved ones when he is not threatening anyone! Take the confrontation OUTSIDE and deal with it in the parking lot! Don't provoke aggression INSIDE A HOSPITAL with paper thin walls and babies and elderly people, don't corner a crazy criminal and possibly provoke them to start shooting OR taking hostages!

18. Justiceforever

19. Justiceforever

"Having a baby there just heightens the complexity of the whole thing," said David Couper, retired chief of the Madison Police Department. "The question is, how are you going to approach him?"

Perhaps plainclothes officers, instead of those in uniform, should have been sent in to assess the situation, Couper said. Perhaps officers should have taken a wait-and-see approach, following Hendricks to the parking lot after his visit instead of attempting to arrest him inside the hospital.
    As long as the suspect isn't threatening anyone, officers and their supervisors should take some time to consider all options, Couper said"

20. Justiceforever

"Tony Bouza, retired Minneapolis police chief, said such situations can get "hideously complex."

"You want to send somebody there to investigate, and you have to be concerned about the safety of the occupants," he said. "You have to practice prudence, caution and safety."

Once Hendricks threatened officers with his gun, they were justified in shooting him, Bouza said.
    "