Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

Going down the rabbit hole...and just thinking out loud.
If this John Doe was in fact, as previously suggested, was on one last joy ride before killing himself by cop...What could've triggered it?
I found an article in the Chicago Tribune archives for September 14, 1977.
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...occer-star-miro-rys-20-killed-in-car-accident
A rising young Czech soccer star, who lived in the Chicago suburbs was killed in a car accident while playing with a team in Germany on the Monday before this guys death, and announced in Wednesday's paper.
Is John Doe a Czech? Was he a friend of this young man and came to Chicago with the intention of getting into the US soccer world with his help? Did John Doe confuse Riddell, Inc. (see notes found on him) the maker of American football products, with European "football"?
I know... rabbit hole.....

It's a rabbit hole worth checking out, but I feel obligated to point out that a good portion of the population of the upper midwest has Polish/Slavic ancestry, so even if he is Polish/Slavic, he could be local.

It's a rabbit hole worth checking out, but I feel obligated to point out that a good portion of the population of the upper midwest has Polish/Slavic ancestry, so even if he is Polish/Slavic, he could be local.

The only reason I tend to think that he is from out of the area is because of the RE advertisement that was on every Eastern Airlines flight back in '77. And even with the worst possible education in the '70s in Illinois or Wisconsin, spelling Lincoln incorrectly wouldn't just happen. Given that this guy was looking for employment, he may have just recently arrived in Chicago.

Here's something that could provide motive for fleeing around that time:

A girl was found beaten nearly to death in Schiller Park (Chicago suburb) on September 6, 1977 by 22 year old hitchhiker Jerry Then. She was beaten so badly nobody could recognize her. Jerry Then was considered the main suspect at the time but later the key suspect became an unnamed 27 year old mental patient. The girl died on September 18th. She was identified a few weeks later as Deborah Rosencrans. Deborah had started dating a new boyfriend named Michael, but that's all anybody knew. The article also mentions the driver of a blue oldsmobile as someone of interest. Might be worth looking into some of these characters.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/10/07/page/37/article/suspect-in-girls-murder
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-h...-rosencrans-tamara-shaffer-guest-author-blog/

That's a good point.

The only reason I tend to think that he is from out of the area is because of the RE advertisement that was on every Eastern Airlines flight back in '77. And even with the worst possible education in the '70s in Illinois or Wisconsin, spelling Lincoln incorrectly wouldn't just happen. Given that this guy was looking for employment, he may have just recently arrived in Chicago.

He spells Lincoln right on the other sheet, though.

His handwriting with the mix of printed uppercase and lowercase letters is typical of barely literate people in America. Europeans tend to learn a more angular handwriting style.

It's certainly possible he's not from the region, and you do make it seem likely he flew into O'Hare on Eastern. But that could have been a domestic flight as well as international.

I think you guys are onto something here..... In light of the recent attempts to ID Gacy's unknown victims and the discussion about Eastern Airlines, it really does make more sense he was very new to the area and looking for both work and housing.

2811 Mannheim Rd. is literally right next to O'hare airport. Not only was Lincoln misspelled, but Belmot is also a misspelling for Belmont. I think the likelihood that a local would misspell both Lincoln and Belmont is pretty low.

What if the lighter found on him actually belonged to John of Johnny's Mobile Homes? And as for the library books and bag of women's clothing found in the stolen car, what if they belonged to the vehicle owners wife? (It could be he either didn't know the clothing belonged to his wife or he was too proud to admit his wife wore second hand clothing?).

I know this makes the haystack bigger so to speak, but instead of disecting each clue individually, together they really do paint a picture of someone who was very new to the area. If the theory about his just having arrived in the Chicago area is accurate, his family could believe he chose to walk away from his old life and chose to cease contact rather than the accident causing his death.

Leading me to two additional thoughts. Can the LE/ME investigating this case submit his DNA to one of the ancestry sites to see if they can trace any relatives and pursue that route? There are some excellent DNA detectives out there....... And, can LE compare fingerprints to immigrants who arrived in Chicago about the time our guy died?

Lastly, maybe we should search for info on family members who might be searching for relatives they believe walked away willingly, but are alive and wouldn't think to have him officially reported missing?

Assuming these papers are actually his with his handwriting, what if it's code? He could have been a low level car thief working with a chop shop for The Outfit. Those thieves would write down the addresses of cars they knew they could steal so that when the order came through they could nab them quickly at night. These could possibly be locations of cars rather than actual job hunting. "no hiring done here" might be a signal of something. Was that just a doodle under the word Employment? Or is it a symbol for something? His other O on that page has a weird mark in it too.
Also at that time Riddell was going through a huge lawsuit and scrambling for insurance. They could have turned to Chicago mob for help. If he was a low level enforcer or something it could be a reason for him to pay a visit.

I showed our guys photos, both the morgue photo and recons, to a woman who was married to someone in the Chicago Outlaws around the time our guy died. She didn't recognize him.

As for the mob, did they really get involved with chop shops? I don't recall hearing anything about them being involved with car thefts.

I showed our guys photos, both the morgue photo and recons, to a woman who was married to someone in the Chicago Outlaws around the time our guy died. She didn't recognize him.

As for the mob, did they really get involved with chop shops? I don't recall hearing anything about them being involved with car thefts.
Thank you so much for checking! I've wondered about the outlaws...( I know Joe Stoll has been mentioned in here before, though he's most likely dead.) So that helps. The mob was heavily involved with chop shops at that time. They were constantly murdering each other over control of it. I've got a PDF somewhere of informant testimony from that time period detailing how they actually ran it; it definitely involved stealing cars in the middle of the night and transporting them across state lines.

Found it. Scroll down through it a bit and you'll get to the testimony about how organized crime took over Chicago's chop shop operation: http://njlaw.rutgers.edu/collections/gdoc/hearings/8/80601876/80601876_1.pdf

YW. I wouldn't say that rules out the Outlaws, just that she didn't recognize him. I did a quick Google search and saw some info about the outfit and chopshops during the 70's. I had no clue....

e36229f7c284bce8945c2e783c4ba9fe.jpg

Ron Stoner? schizophrenic, disappeared in 1977, not in namus

http://www.surfer.com/blogs/eos/ron-stoner/#ZK9eReYajDav7y52.97

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a foggy morning in Delafield today on the 40th anniversary of his death.

I don't think he resembles Ron Stoner.

40 years today. I didn't email the journalist. He is working on a trial which is currently underway, so I will wait until the trial is over........

I know the authorities read here sometimes. They may wish to reach out to Justin Kmitch directly. They may have better success with a story than any of us would.
http://www.dailyherald.com/newsroom/JustinKmitch/

Randall Scott Kelly (could very well be alive)....
-stole a pontiac
-led police on a chase
-was being held at the dupage county jail in wheaton
-scheduled for a september 7, 1977 arraignment

(I got his middle name from the schaumburg yearbook index)
2f3413b2264ed4c227807c6a8e27ddfb.jpg

Randall Scott Kelly (could very well be alive)....
-stole a pontiac
-led police on a chase
-was being held at the dupage county jail in wheaton
-scheduled for a september 7, 1977 arraignment

(I got his middle name from the schaumburg yearbook index)
2f3413b2264ed4c227807c6a8e27ddfb.jpg

Any pictures of him in that yearbook??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I’ve never seen this couple listed anywhere before as missing; they were kidnapped in mid-1977
90fa3a9a3737232aeb717fe22d75fe9b.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998