Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

It also mentions (hard to read becuase bits of the newspaper are faded) that he had "newly purchased" the clothing in ILL. Makes me think that it was the place in Wheaton. The LE spoke with the person who sold him the clothing, but hard to tell what it says. If he had enough money to buy nice clothes in Wheaton ILL, why then would you steal a car come Gurnee ILL? I suppose depending on where he was going, cab fare might have been a bit pricey. But I imagine since he was riding a bike when he stole the car (and I cant see him riding the bike in he new suit from Wheaton to Gurnee 53 miles) that he hitchhiked at some point. Just thinking outloud.

I couldn't find the missing adult sites that reports by his own family from either USA & Canada. Didn't they disowned him because of who he is by the habitual behavior? His set of car keys including home key is the key for the clue of where he lives & probably leave his ID inside.

Great possible find. It's no wonder about having scar knuckle from JD's right hand and probably broken front upper teeth by gang brawl. He looked tough from pic. I still don't get why his own family never reports missing JD.

If you consider that the second article states he was found with an assortment of car keys in his possession then it kinda makes even more sense about JD being "on the run"... If he did have gang ties and was in a "stolen car ring" it would make sense that he wouldn't carry ID etc in case he gets "caught". In this case he chose to flee and well...paid the ultimate price.

KLCD620- I have a feeling that he very well been reported; I just don't think we've hit the right place yet. Mind you it is just a gut feeling on my part, but I speculate that he came from a broken home and may be one of those "Have you seen my brother?" postings on ZabaSearch or some other search engine.

KLCD620- I have a feeling that he very well been reported; I just don't think we've hit the right place yet. Mind you it is just a gut feeling on my part, but I speculate that he came from a broken home and may be one of those "Have you seen my brother?" postings on ZabaSearch or some other search engine.

I saw the message "I am trying to find my brother that is missing..." from Zabasearch list as I typed out the key words, missing adult since 1977. I emailed him (my risk) to ask for descriptions of his missing brother. If it sounds more like UID JD then, you or I'll attach the UID JD to him if it's his missing brother or not.

I was also intrigued by the fact that he is reported as being uncircumcised. The vast majority of U.S. whites, particularly in that area of the country and that era, were circumcised. That seems to be an important clue that might help point to his background or ethnicity. Perhaps he was an immigrant.

I also tend to think he was an immigrant, or a visitor, and probably not from Canada either. US agencies are usually aware of missing persons from Canada, and vice versa. Someone mentioned a Navy base which reminded me that many foreign merchant ships also dock at Great Lakes locations, by way of the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Back in the day many of those ships originated in Eastern Block countries and it wasn't unusual that some crew members would jump ship while docked in the US or Canada. To avoid delays ship captains would not always report them missing, apparently in the eyes of communist authorities having your ship delayed was a much more serious 'offense' than losing a crew member. Just a thought.

As far as the reported range of weight and height, I'm not sure but presumably some areas of his body had to suffer from the accident. That's my guess.

Good call

I tried to reach the brother of his missing brother since Dec, 1977 by email. I asked for the description & photo of his missing brother but I get no reply from him. I'd love to get closure for the family of this UID Wisconsin JD and gets identified. It's getting harder now as it's impossible to find the missing report that matches with UID JD.

Add: I like to think of UID Wisconsin JD (since 1977) same way as Daniel Wayne Dewey which he finally identified after being UID for 29 yrs. He's been house broken during his whole life & not report missing by his siblings. It could be same apply to UID Wisc JD.

I agree KLCD620; I do think he's relatively local to Wisconsin in some way.

Not to be to graphic; but my father was born in 1954 in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I know that he and his brothers are not circumcised; my Grandfather believed in keeping everything "whole" for some reason or another. I never pretended to understand the logic, nor do I care to know honestly...but I know in Wisconsin at least you can elect to not have your son circumcised. Consider in 1977 JD was found and he too is not circumcised....based on his estimated age he could very easily be my father. I know that my Sister elected to keep my Nephew "whole" and he is only 4. Ok...enough of that....

I've been asking some relatives of mine who are retired law enforcement officers in Wisconsin for any addition details about this case. My Aunt was an Appleton, WI officer in the late 70's and early 80's and an Uncle was with the Sheriffs Department in Milwaukee from 1970-1995....I will get back to you if they have anything to offer.

An email I sent to my Aunt; through her husbands Facebook page

(hey hiya doing content removed for obvious reasons)

"I wanted to ask you if you could show **** something for me. One of my hobbies is Cold Cases/ Missing Persons research and I've been trying to help identify a "John Doe" case from Wisconsin. I don't believe she was cop yet in Appleton in 1977 (didn't she start in early '78??) however one of the angles that is being explored is a Chicago to Appleton stolen car ring/chop shop. The link is below and we're looking into or "sleuthing" a connection between why the "John Doe" was in possession of several sets of car keys and his route from Gurnee, IL to his demise outside of Delafield. Anyways......any insight would be awesome!"

First off, my Aunt is awesome and still maintains her contacts from all of her career stops...she went on to be an FBI agent and is in bank fraud/bank securities now. I'll keep everyone posted on her reply.

This is best news from Masnitram! It's more hopeful by having his aunt & uncle as experience & retired law enforcement officers. They know what to look for as detective for the solved/unsolved cold cases, knows the area and have contacts with other town PD's.

I wonder whether the investigative agency from Waukesha County Sheriff's Department still open the cold case of WI-John Doe 0068 or not. If not, I do hope that your retired officer relatives (only authorization or authority) would pull out the cold case of UID Wisc JD and re-investigation of him as volunteer. Maybe the database of him finally hit the match (ID name) with the modern technology. Just like the cold case of Daniel W Dewey.

I think it's best chance for you to solve the mystery of UID Wisc JD with big help from your aunt. I'm rooting for you! It's challenge case for us as our websleuths hobby.

I heard back from my Aunt; she wants to chat in better detail next week. She is currently on vacation...anyways, she mentioned to me via Facebook that she didn't start in Appleton until 1978 however she may have some insight and suggestions for me moving forward.

Now not to confuse you guys/gals, my Uncle who was a cop as well is my Aunt's brother-in-law. My moms sister is the former Appleton officer and their other sister (another Aunt) is married to the former Milwaukee County Sheriff. I haven't been able to contact him yet, but I will bump into him close to Memorial Day at a family event...I intend on picking his brain then...

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/109470.html

(see Haunting Cases highlight for info)

A long shot for our UID; however the disappearance and the "stolen vehicle" charge against Bernard "Bunny" Ross Jr. have peaked my interest. I'm waiting to hear back from a contact in Maine regarding any photos of Mr. Ross, my search has been fruitless so far. I also can't find much additional info on Mr. Ross so as long as the case hasn't been solved this may be the diamond in the ruff I've been looking for.

"Bunny" Ross stats (about 3/4 way down the page):

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/109433.html

Ross was 19, JD was 17-25
Ross was 6'1", JD was 5'8"-6'0"
Ross was 160 lbs., JD was 150-170 lbs.
Ross had dirty blond hair, JD's is described as brown but as has been pointed out, certainly looks light in the photo
Ross had blue eyes, JD's were brown

A little more Ross info on Porchlight:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=55316&st=0&

I emailed Lt. J. Darrell Ouellette of Maine State Police in Houlton on May 2 asking if there were any photos of Ross since he keeps in touch with his father. I didn't mention the UID and haven't heard back from him.

Not to make any accusations, but the possibility came to mind that Ross might have taken the truck he was accused of stealing, but abandoned it and fled the area, perhaps planning to return in a few months when things calmed down. I wonder whether the truck was recovered before or after Ross disappeared. If police dropped charges against him once it was found, it sounds like they charged someone else in the theft and/or the vehicle was recovered undamaged and they dropped the investigation.

I'm still looking but so far found only this article about a stolen truck from January 1977. It was stolen in Millinocket, though, and that's three hours away from Fort Kent. Surely at least a few trucks disappeared besides this one: http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...zgHAAAAIBAJ&dq=truck recovered&pg=3923,892653

Thanks tatertot!

I've been always curious to know why the family has spent the last 33 years looking for Bernard without (in at least the last 15 of those years) putting a photo on-line!?!?! Not even a scanned newspaper print/old poster.....I can't imagine they NEVER took a photo of Bernard, and what purpose would they have to not publish one? Was Bernard more of a criminal then what is reported and they're trying to protect him by not putting a photo out there? Intentional data mistakes to cover up something? I don't know....just seems odd.

With that in mind I suppose this is why I'm cynical towards reported heights, weights, and eye colors....seems like people can be very careless. I know Blue/Brown is hard to screw up, but the again I wonder sometimes how accurate the state of Wisconsin has been over the years. I've seen JD's inscribed lighter reported in three different ways in two newspaper articles and on 2 websites as either: "To John Love Lauri", "To John Love Laura", and "To John From Laura"....

From two weeks ago, I tried to email the brother of his missing brother since Dec, 1977 and doesn't receive single reply. I explained him that we tried to find a description & photo to see if it matches with UID. I don't know why it's difficult for anyone to willing to disclosure the simple information when we're as sleuths tried to get closure for them by identify the UID. 33 yrs is too long for UID JD.

The Bangor Daily News, which I assume was the main newspaper that covered stories from the Fort Kent/Presque Isle area, ran "district court" columns for its various regions of coverage. Browsing the paper in the days before and after Ross disappeared, I cannot find a single mention of his name in any of the court columns. It seems unlikely he had a record.

We'll know soon if there is any possible connection between our JD and Bernard "Bunny" Ross Jr.

Email reply:

"Thanks for this, Sam. I just returned to work after a week off and have left a message for one of my law enforcement contacts who was involved in the search for Bunny. I'll let you know what I find out."

Thank you! And when you hear back from them, if you feel comfortable doing so you might suggest that they obtain photos of Bunny so he can be included on the various missing persons sites.

I did ask for photos of Mr. Ross in my initial contact; I am also going to inquire further about why nothing is posted about Mr. Ross, other then in a few articles from Bangor. I haven't received a reply yet, but as soon as I do I will let you know. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back