Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

I wonder why his family does not have pictures of him when he was older :(
Some families are just not into that. Remember that back then pictures had to be developed at a drugstore or somewhere, and you paid whether or not they turned out well. Not like today where our phones hold thousands of images basically for free.

<modsnip - no link to an approved source>
Some families are just not into that. Remember that back then pictures had to be developed at a drugstore or somewhere, and you paid whether or not they turned out well. Not like today where our phones hold thousands of images basically for free.
Yes, I understand it, however my parents are just a few years younger than John and we have a lot of photos of them in 70-ies, but may be it is just in my country people went to the photo saloons on every event/anniversary or so and also there were a lot of photo amateurs at that time. But I just thought that may me he moved out from parents house young (as as far as I understood he did not live in Tennessee in his last years).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, handsome! Why did you have to get into trouble?
So happy you have your name back. I wonder if Lauri is still alive.

That's why we hope to find out news from Jean Nunn (living sibling) if she's willing to give out info about John. There are many unanswered questions: Is Lauri being his wife?, Is she still alive as of today?, Why did he left TN?, What year he was gone from TN?, Did he enter into military for service the country?, Why he never report as missing person?, and much more. Give Jean more time. 44 years is long time for her to find out. It's up to her since we loved to find out more details about him.

Yes, this is correct, and he was 19 when he got married. Not sure whether it lasted or not, but according to another news article (Waukesha County cold case solved; man in 1977 crash identified), "All the family knew was that 44 years ago, he went missing and fell off the face of the Earth,".

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

I wish his sister a lot of strength to process the information. After 44 years it must be a total shock and traumatic.

It is all so tragic, we had his first and last names right there... but he died in a totally different state than where he was living and LE agencies were not really connected due to the limited technical options...

Last edited by a moderator:
A photo has been published alongside DNA Doe Project’s announcement of his identification on their Facebook page: Log into Facebook
This photo looks near identical to the W. Scott that was in the Tennessee High yearbooks that's around the same age. Just my opinion... Wonder if that name was a nickname or something now.

Yes, I understand it, however my parents are just a few years younger than John and we have a lot of photos of them in 70-ies, but may be it is just in my country people went to the photo saloons on every event/anniversary or so and also there were a lot of photo amateurs at that time. But I just thought that may me he moved out from parents house young (as as far as I understood he did not live in Tennessee in his last years).

Maybe this is the way they want him remembered? Young and full of promise

I'm sure there are plenty of pictures, but once his parents died, then who would have them?

My parents were born in 1929 and 1932. There were plenty of pictures..LOL....
Probably when his parents died, his photos got lost in the shuffle. I inherited my parents' photo albums, who inherited them from their parents...So I've got baby pictures of my parents, their school pictures, family pictures, my dad's sports pictures, their vacation pictures, their wedding album etc...All from 1929-1955.

Whoever inherited his parents' photo albums will probably have his photos. However, maybe there was dysfunction in the family and some photo albums were misplaced etc.

I don't have many pictures of my siblings.

Last edited:
Poor guy. I look at his penmanship and spelling, you can tell that he struggled. (Maybe he wrote with a pencil...which just added to the issues)

Gotta wonder what his back story was.

Based on his attire, he probably was job hunting.

Wonder what he was doing in Wisconsin?

Maybe he was simply trying to flee IL after stealing that vehicle.

ETA Say what?? I'm looking at a public record and it says highest grade completed: 5th.

If that's the case, then poor guy....

Last edited:
Oh I am SO thankful to hear this news today!! This has been one of the cases I've been following since I first got into the whole realm of finding the identity of Does. I chipped in five bucks now and again when I had the money to this case (actually, I try to do it for all the cases, but this one was the first) because something about the mystery of who he was and the clues left behind plus the absolutely haunting details in his reconstruction really struck me.

I do still wonder about his past right before his untimely death. Was he a soldier that deliberately went AWOL, which might explain the haircut and the fact he was speeding because he didn't want the police to stop him and find out his identity? Or was he about to go to basic training and just made a stupid mistake to have one last irresponsible "joyride" in a vehicle he stole, never suspecting he'd end up in a police chase where he panicked and ended up crashing? So many question still on my mind....

Oh I am SO thankful to hear this news today!! This has been one of the cases I've been following since I first got into the whole realm of finding the identity of Does. I chipped in five bucks now and again when I had the money to this case (actually, I try to do it for all the cases, but this one was the first) because something about the mystery of who he was and the clues left behind plus the absolutely haunting details in his reconstruction really struck me.

I do still wonder about his past right before his untimely death. Was he a soldier that deliberately went AWOL, which might explain the haircut and the fact he was speeding because he didn't want the police to stop him and find out his identity? Or was he about to go to basic training and just made a stupid mistake to have one last irresponsible "joyride" in a vehicle he stole, never suspecting he'd end up in a police chase where he panicked and ended up crashing? So many question still on my mind....

He was 27, so I don't think basic training and probably was not military. Lauri was not his wife's name. Marriage record shows he had limited formal education.

His sister sent one picture of him when he was about 7 years old. No other information was available or provided by the family. Family requests privacy.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back