GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

Once he took the plea bargain and pled guilty, he is protected from any further prosecutorial action by double jeaprody. So, he would not need to worry about self incriminating testimony etc.
Sanford didn't take a plea bargain. He pled not guilty but lost and was convicted. (But his helper Larrue did cooperate with police and testified against Sanford in exchange for lower charges) So that's why I'm speculating that Sanford can probably only spill the beans on Mimi after any appeals are exhausted. Talking about her involvement isn't possible while he's still trying to pretend he's not guilty.

Sanford didn't take a plea bargain. He pled not guilty but lost and was convicted. (But his helper Larrue did cooperate with police and testified against Sanford in exchange for lower charges) So that's why I'm speculating that Sanford can probably only spill the beans on Mimi after any appeals are exhausted. Talking about her involvement isn't possible while he's still trying to pretend he's not guilty.
Thanks. I got Sandford and Larrue confused in my mind.

I doubt she would choose to move back to her birthplace, but who knows.

Think there's any possibility that Sanford might testify with more info about her alleged involvement, once he's sentenced and/or any hope for an appeal of his conviction is gone? (since him testifying about her level of involvement in the crime would also require admitting his own involvement)
I doubt it. It wouldn’t benefit him to get involved. And based on his overall attitude in the courtroom and other statements he made, who would believe him?

I arrived here again a little while ago intending just to say that I don't know how Mimi can sleep at night. But after catching up with the flurry of recent posts, I can only conclude that she has no trouble at all getting to sleep, and probably her only worry is whether or not she will inherit. She seems to have no conscience at all.

I found this in an article: "During trial, Deputy District Attorney William Brown said [Miriam] Carre 'had no idea, absolutely no idea' about the plans to kill."

But Mimi definitely knew the plans to kill. The probate petition clearly cites evidence from the record that Sanford texted Mimi "It's cool because they gon die" in response to her texted complaints to him about her parents.

So she knew it was going to happen, but perhaps she didn't know which night it was going to happen? If so, what a coincidence that she was so concerned on the night of the murders that Sanford was using her family's van, that she texted him and asked him to bring it back and use a different car.

Did this Deputy DA simply fail to review this evidence? Or was Mimi just such a great actress that he chose to believe her despite the evidence she was lying?

Also, even if the Deputy DA thought she didn't know Sanford would shoot them during the robbery, why did the Deputy DA just let her off the hook for planning the robbery of "bands of cash" in the first place, and for lying to police the next day by falsely claiming both Sanford and the van were at home with her all night? Why does she just get away with those crimes?

Once Sanford is sentenced and any hope for an appeal of his conviction is gone, he just might start talking about what Mimi knew. He can't talk about that until then because discussing her involvement would be an admission of his own guilt.

There might be some risk that she might actually flee the country if the evidence in the probate petition (which shows she knew the plan to kill) nullifies her immunity and makes her eligible for criminal charges. She's presumably been living on her parents' money for the past two years, and depending on how much of their cash she can access right now, she could make a run for it, especially if the family is successful in its bid to strip her inheritance. Might be wise to freeze her passport!
Might be simpler and quicker to get civil judgement against daughter for wrongful death. Her inheritance could be offset by the judgement. Wouldn’t have to wait for the convicted murderer to exhaust appeals.

There was an interesting point made by a commenter to one of the articles about the move to stop Mimi from getting an inheritance.

She at first pleaded the fifth, and only testified for the prosecution after being granted immunity. But that immunity agreement may have required that she testify truthfully. And if it can be shown that she lied on the stand about not knowing about the plan to kill her parents (and her text message exchanges with Sanford telling her "they gon die" certainly suggest that she knew), that could potentially nullify her immunity. Maybe the info coming out in this probate challenge could make her eligible to be criminally charged after all.

Also it's interesting to see that Mimi is now going as "Miriam Carre" rather than "Miriam Potter-Carre." Why did she drop the name Potter? She seemed to deeply resent her mother for making any attempts to normally parent her or have any household rules whatsoever. Articles about the court case report that she and her boyfriend were angry not only about the request that they follow social distancing and stop putting Dr. Potter and her patients at risk by going out partying at the start of the pandemic, but they were also angry because they wanted the "freedom to smoke" pot all the time. (And btw whose money was paying for their pot, since they were totally financially supported by the parents?)

What a deadly mistake it was for Beth and Robin to be so kind to their pathologically self-centered daughter and her truly evil boyfriend.

bbm

Gee-whiz, since her adoptive parents are so awful, shouldn't she return to using her birth name?

Since nothing Dr. Potter & Mr. Carre did by bringing her into their home has value, except the money they earned & saved, maybe even return herself to Guatemala?

After the court proceedings are all wrapped up, of course.

jmho ymmv lrr

The 21-year-old Wisconsin man who was convicted in May of the brutal 2020 killings of Dr. Beth Potter and her husband, Robin Carre, will spend the rest of his life behind prison bars, PEOPLE confirms.

Online court records confirm that on Wednesday, Dane County Circuit Judge Ellen Berz sentenced Khari Sanford to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

While addressing Sanford in court, Berz told the killer he had an "utter disregard for human life," reports Madison.com.
dr-beth-potter-robin-carre-664d2a47b49d4e1faa1221db6fb77505.jpg

RIP Beth
Man Gets Life in Prison for Killing Girlfriend's Parents After Disputes About Covid Social Distancing

Last edited:
What a self serving statement he made to the judge at sentencing. It was really vomit inducing.

As for Miriam and her letter stating her boyfriend, KS, had been abusive and manipulative towards her, she had loving and supportive parents who would have helped her get out of the relationship so I don’t believe a word she says.

JMO

And what about dear little Mimi? She gets off scot-free, and with her inheritance?
Sadly, it looks that way.

But..... I am firmly convinced that this does not need to be the end of the story and that the family can still fight for prosecution:

- I dont think immunity agreements are exactly Covenants ala the Old Testament. Rather, in all probability, they contain caveats such as "terms subject to change if accurate information is not provided" etc.

- Agreements that were made in violation of procedural norms etc. can be retracted. For example a special builder in my suburb was given building permits and zoning changes via favorable reviews and creative interpretation of the codes that violated procedural norms. The permits were later retracted by a new mayor

-The government is sovereign and can alter agreements at will. Though it is in nobody's interest to be capricious, governments can effectively do what they want. A local government once voided the sale of a building to my parish. Their justification: "Public School needs have changed. We need the building back. Here is your refund- good bye."

In the end, my bet is that she can still be prosecuted. The head prosecutor for Wisconsin is the State Attorney General. He, or she really needs to review the agreement, the conditions under which it was approved etc.

Last edited:
I am wondering if Mimi has any redeeming features whatsoever.

If so, those features are well-hidden from the media.

Some of those convicted in the Varsity Blues scandal quietly started doing their low-key public service -- anyone catch Mimi helping any marginalized populations? Adoptees, refugees, social justice, people with food insecurity, animal shelter? Nursing home residents, lawn work at the courthouse, cemetery clean-up, anything?

Please post if you find -- anything.

Continued prayers for her bereaved brothers.

jmho ymmv lrr

There will be a celebration of life for Springfield native and former University of Wisconsin associate professor Dr. Beth Potter and her husband, Robin Carre, at 2 p.m. Sunday at Erin's Pavilion at Southwind Park.
[snip]
Potter grew up in Springfield, where her parents, James R. “Bud” and Mary Jo Potter, still live.
Celebration of life to honor slain Springfield native Dr. Beth Potter, husband

I might try to make it to this event.
I am wondering if you did?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member