WI WI- Howard Takanaka, 27, Superior, 1 Jan 1984

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=3]Missing[/h] Last seen alive: January 01, 1984

Circumstances: Takenaka is rumored to have left Wisconsin to find work in January of 1984. He has not been seen since.

First Name: Howard Shizue
Middle Name: Shizue
Last Name: Takenaka
[h=3]Details[/h] Age When Last Known Alive: 26
Race: Asian or Pacific Isl
Sex: Male
Height: 69.0 to
Weight: 125.0 to
[h=3]Location[/h] City: Superior
State: Wisconsin
Zip: 54880
County: Douglas
[h=3]Appearance[/h] Hair: Brown
Body Hair: Unk
Facial Hair: Unk
Eye: Hazel
Tattoos: Right Upper Arm

http://www.missingin.org/reg10923/howard_shizue_takenaka.htm

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/30201/

This is a long shot, but what about this UID? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

What follows is a lot of speculation, wrapped around a kernel of certainty, so if you have an Ancestry.com subscription, please don't just roll your eyes and move on till you have read the relevant bit.

Against: UID estimated between 45-60, estimated death around 2000 (rather than 1984). Estimated caucasian, whereas Henry seems to be caucasian/asian mix (listing says Pacific Islander, though middle and surname are Japanese; see below as to why that may be). Henry too young to have grey hair. Nothing in file mentions 6th lumbar vertebra, as in this UID, or the healed injuries associated with this UID. There's no indication that he was on pain meds, and it's possible that the prescription on the bottle may have been legible, permitting them to date to beyond when he went missing, though I don't know. I've seen images of the backpack and the bunny inside of it, and they don't seem to have been in the woods that long, from a casual inspection of those items in photos.

On the other hand, the NamUs case does have some good photos loaded up in 2016, that indicate that at one time, at least, when younger, Howard wore a woven necklace not unlike the one on the UID. He wears glasses, as did the UID (though I haven't found an image of the glasses, and there's no indication they are wire-rimmed). In the latest picture before his disappearance, Howard has an infant child on his lap. Is this his? Is it her bunny? There seems to be some young woman (mostly excised) sitting beside him in the latter photo, and judging by this plea for information at Ancestry.com, this is the child, Vicki Lee Takenaka: Message Boards
She says that she was born in Hawaii in 1979, when her father was stationed there, and that he was 21. Five years later, he disappeared, when he was 26, and she was about 4. His disappearing on January 1 is a sign that the circumstances are very vague. Judging by a response to her original posting, Vicki Lee originally spelled her last name as Tanaka in 2000, then returned to change it in 2004.

She grew up in foster homes, and was looking for information regarding her parents. Given that new photographs were evidently supplied by her paternal grandparents just a few years ago, it would be nice to get in touch with her. Have any of you got an Ancestry.com subscription? I mean, no reason to pass on the information about this UID. It would be very sad, though, if Howard had gone down to Oneida County to work, say, in logging, which would be consistent with this UIDs injuries, then suicided, if that's indeed what happened, just as his daughter started looking for him. My hope is that somehow she is put in touch with her paternal grandparents.
howardtakenakajr.jpg howardtakenakajr2.jpg

This is a long shot, but what about this UID? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

What follows is a lot of speculation, wrapped around a kernel of certainty, so if you have an Ancestry.com subscription, please don't just roll your eyes and move on till you have read the relevant bit.

Against: UID estimated between 45-60, estimated death around 2000 (rather than 1984). Estimated caucasian, whereas Henry seems to be caucasian/asian mix (listing says Pacific Islander, though middle and surname are Japanese; see below as to why that may be). Henry too young to have grey hair. Nothing in file mentions 6th lumbar vertebra, as in this UID, or the healed injuries associated with this UID. There's no indication that he was on pain meds, and it's possible that the prescription on the bottle may have been legible, permitting them to date to beyond when he went missing, though I don't know. I've seen images of the backpack and the bunny inside of it, and they don't seem to have been in the woods that long, from a casual inspection of those items in photos.

On the other hand, the NamUs case does have some good photos loaded up in 2016, that indicate that at one time, at least, when younger, Howard wore a woven necklace not unlike the one on the UID. He wears glasses, as did the UID (though I haven't found an image of the glasses, and there's no indication they are wire-rimmed). In the latest picture before his disappearance, Howard has an infant child on his lap. Is this his? Is it her bunny? There seems to be some young woman (mostly excised) sitting beside him in the latter photo, and judging by this plea for information at Ancestry.com, this is the child, Vicki Lee Takenaka: Message Boards
She says that she was born in Hawaii in 1979, when her father was stationed there, and that he was 21. Five years later, he disappeared, when he was 26, and she was about 4. His disappearing on January 1 is a sign that the circumstances are very vague. Judging by a response to her original posting, Vicki Lee originally spelled her last name as Tanaka in 2000, then returned to change it in 2004.

She grew up in foster homes, and was looking for information regarding her parents. Given that new photographs were evidently supplied by her paternal grandparents just a few years ago, it would be nice to get in touch with her. Have any of you got an Ancestry.com subscription? I mean, no reason to pass on the information about this UID. It would be very sad, though, if Howard had gone down to Oneida County to work, say, in logging, which would be consistent with this UIDs injuries, then suicided, if that's indeed what happened, just as his daughter started looking for him. My hope is that somehow she is put in touch with her paternal grandparents.
View attachment 223093 View attachment 223094
Excellent sleuthing

Just fyi I did send the above info to namus. Sorry it isn’t showing properly. If you review the fb page at length it seems to be him. Also it’s recently been updated on namus but I can’t tell with what.

Date Missing: January 1, 1984
Sex: Male
Race: White
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 130 lbs.

Missing From: Superior, WI Howard is rumored to have left Wisconsin to find work in January of 1984. He has not been seen since. Howard served four years in the Army and was honorably discharged. Was assigned to the 25th AG and Stationed at the Schofield Barracks in Hawaii.

Rumored? Does any listing confirm the last time Mr. Takana was seen?

Same minimal information:

whoa wait we have a thread for Mr. Tanaka!

Reporting for Moderator input, or merge.

Thanks!

Interesting, that facebook really looks like him. And the daughter is also commenting. I always assumed this case was solved/closed..

He said it’s not him when family contacted him. Howard is either still missing or this guy *is* him and is lying.

He said it’s not him when family contacted him. Howard is either still missing or this guy *is* him and is lying.
That's an interesting unexpected response. Definitely looks eerily similar. Thanks for the update!

• takanaka_howard.jpg
    takanaka_howard2.jpg
    takanaka_howard3.jpg
Takanaka, circa 1984
  • Missing Since 01/01/1984
  • Missing From Superior, Wisconsin
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Asian
  • Date of Birth 09/08/1957 (66)
  • Age 26 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9 - 6'0, 125 - 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Asian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Takanaka has a tattoo on his left forearm.

Details of Disappearance​

Takanaka was last seen in Superior, Wisconsin sometime in January 1984. He has never been heard from again and is rumored to have left the state to find work.

Takanaka served four years in the Army, assigned to the 25th Infantry Division and stationed at the Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. He was honorably discharged. Few details are available in his case.

Investigating Agency​

• Douglas County Sheriff's Office 715-395-1371

Source Information​

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 26, 2019; picture added, distinguishing characteristics updated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back