Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I think the Amber Alert system is ridiculous for the most part. ANY CHILD under a certain age should automatically have an alert across the board, meaning all states should have the same age criteria. It would seem to me that every state should be able to say that any child 10 and under should get an alert. Or 8 and under, etc. you get the gist. Different states have different criteria. That is NOT helpful at all. If an 8 year old walks out of their house to go down the block to a friends and never makes it to that friends, and reasonable attempts to find that kid are unsuccessful, a NATIONWIDE Amber Alert in every single state should be activated whether or not somebody saw them get dragged into a car or not....WHY is that so difficult?

Nationwide? That’s a great way to get everyone to completely ignore all Amber Alerts. No one wants a text or alarm every day about a kid missing 2,000 miles away.

Yeah, that would be a bit much.

In the United States, an estimated 460,000 children are reported missing every year.

Missing Children's Statistics - Global Missing Children's Network

In NYC we have an app, Notify NYC, that alerts us to anything pertinent that we need to know. That includes notification about missing children, along with a picture, what they were wearing, where they were last seen, etc. We get Silver Alerts on there, too.

Of course it is local, just for our city, but obviously there are more people here than in most of America.

I understand that none of us can pay attention to hundreds of thousands of notifications a day. I also realize that in Lily's awful situation, she was dead before anyone knew she was missing, excepting the culprit.

However---if it were my child or grandchild, I would absolutely want a widespread notification. Particularly an Amber Alert. If it were a child in my own family, it would be imperative to me that though I'm in NYC, an Amber Alert would be nationwide. My child or grandchild could be kidnapped and in a car that can take him or her to anywhere in North America. If someone spotted that car with my child or grandchild in Texas, or California, or Florida, or Mexico, the Amber Alert may be what saves them.

I don't know the solution. Better minds can create a workable system, IMO.

But I know that if we close our eyes and picture our own little ones, how much is too much?

I've been a teacher, too, and long ago, I had a student rob and then murder 4 people. When I heard the news that did not give names, I wondered if it was someone I knew. When I heard who it was, I was not surprised. Neither were the police who were well acquainted with these boys. In fact they caught them just minutes after it happened because they recognized them out in the early hours of the morning. Teachers, school counselors, police officers all see the signs, but very little can be done until they commit a crime. These boys were also 14.

On the topic of why, I’d like to know what’s different in the brains of people who commit these crimes.

I’m guessing the vast majority of pre-teen and teenage boys (and girls, but most teen SA is committed by boys) have seen *advertiser censored*. Probably all teenagers have sexual desires. Every person feels frustration, jealousy, anger. Something makes a small minority act out on these feelings and impulses, while the rest of us deal differently, without hurting anyone. What gives someone like CPB the ability to turn normal feeling into a violent plan and then the…courage?…to actually go through with that plan? Courage isn’t the right word at all, but there’s a big leap from thinking “I could just punch him” to actually punching that most people just don’t make.

when we figure out why, we can begin to take steps to prevent it. We have to learn from SA perps instead of just throwing them in a cage for the rest of their lives. I’m not personally a fan of DP, but to repay the cost of housing criminals for years, we need to gather as much info as possible.

It is called "impulse control" in the pre-frontal cortex

[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi03Jbk9br3AhUJg4kEHbaZCh4QFnoECAUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.frontiersin.org%2Farticles%2F10.3389%2Ffnhum.2014.00698%2Ffull&usg=AOvVaw3eFVy2zDiBWkWh1yAveskd']Frontal Dysfunctions of Impulse Control – A Systematic ...
https://www.frontiersin.org › fnhum.2014.00698 › full

by A Sebastian · 2014 · Cited by 132 — Taken together, components of impulse control have been shown to rely on prefrontal regions including the VLPFC, DLPFC, IFJ, insula, OFC, as ...
Abstract · ‎The Multifaceted Nature of... · ‎Comparison of Prefrontal...

Impulsivity, Frontal Lobes and Risk for Addiction - PMC - NCBI
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC2730661[/URL]

Adolescent Brain Development represents a critical risk period for Addiction · by FT Crews · 2009 · Cited by 790 — The frontal cortical areas of brain oversee behavioral control

of course, no one would say it is well developed in the young, but the crime/punishment system does not seem to be great at changing inmates or at protecting victims, IMO.

Wisconsin town honors memory of 10-year-old Lily Peters after her killing

Grieving neighbors come together on “Justice for Lily” day.

Under consideration: the idea of renaming East Birch Street, where Lily Peters formerly lived, as “Lily Street.” Hoffman, mayor of Chippewa Falls, said the community initiative has gotten traction over the past two days.

Last edited:
I agree 100%!

Amber Alerts are restrictive for a reason. It’s distressing to hear that loud klaxon sound blast thru the speakers of my phone. And… it should be. It’s rare and unexpected, so I immediately take notice. However, the more ubiquitous a stimulus becomes the weaker it’s effect.

If Amber Alerts were pushed out to the general masses every time a child went missing, people would just turn them off. Especially if they rarely provided the necessary information to help guide the public. This would render them all useless and inundate LE with thousands of unrelated tips and random hunches that require time, money, and manpower to track down. LE can’t afford to waste precious resources on wild goose chases when a child is missing.

Agreed, I had to disable all such alerts (AMBER, government, emergency) on my iPhone because it wouldn't respect my silent switch setting. Imagine driving while listening to podcasts or music and then the worst screech cuts the air. When it happened to me, it was incredibly distressing (and potentially dangerous).

And yeah, in a lot of cases (here, at least) many MPs are found safe. Sometimes even by the time it gets posted here, it is announced the child is safe.

It is called "impulse control" in the pre-frontal cortex

Frontal Dysfunctions of Impulse Control – A Systematic ...
https://www.frontiersin.org › fnhum.2014.00698 › full

by A Sebastian · 2014 · Cited by 132 — Taken together, components of impulse control have been shown to rely on prefrontal regions including the VLPFC, DLPFC, IFJ, insula, OFC, as ...
Abstract · ‎The Multifaceted Nature of... · ‎Comparison of Prefrontal...

Impulsivity, Frontal Lobes and Risk for Addiction - PMC - NCBI
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC2730661

Adolescent Brain Development represents a critical risk period for Addiction · by FT Crews · 2009 · Cited by 790 — The frontal cortical areas of brain oversee behavioral control

of course, no one would say it is well developed in the young, but the crime/punishment system does not seem to be great at changing inmates or at protecting victims, IMO.

One significant change between DSM-4 and DSM-5 is that the age of 15, as the onset of these criteria, was removed.

upload_2022-4-29_22-33-13.png

I've been a teacher, too, and long ago, I had a student rob and then murder 4 people. When I heard the news that did not give names, I wondered if it was someone I knew. When I heard who it was, I was not surprised. Neither were the police who were well acquainted with these boys. In fact they caught them just minutes after it happened because they recognized them out in the early hours of the morning. Teachers, school counselors, police officers all see the signs, but very little can be done until they commit a crime. These boys were also 14.
I honestly can't blame anyone but the person who did it. How many students does a teacher see everyday? Some of these kids never really show any "signs" because they're most likely aware that their thoughts are so wrong. C.P-B. has been described as "quiet".

Were any statements from his parents released to the press?

MOO he needs to be tried as an adult.

Two of the three charges carry a maximum penalty of life in prison. The 14-year-old boy is being tried in adult court.

Chippewa County District Attorney Wade Newell said in court on Wednesday that the 14-year-old boy told investigators that he intended to rape and kill Peters when they left a house in Chippewa Falls together. Newell said that the suspect told investigators that he hit Peters in the stomach and with a stick before strangling her to death and then sexually assaulting her.

The part about the bolded text that I find puzzling is that he said he intended to rape and kill her, yet he did it the other way around, which is not only strange, but extremely disturbing. I guess things didn't go as he planned and didn't want to miss his opportunity to have sex with her (since you can't rape a corpse. It's desecration, not rape). Although it's disgusting, I don't think it would add charges to his crimes. I hope he gets life so he can never, ever roam the streets again. Not just Lily, but ALL women deserve better than to have a person like this allowed to mingle with society.

Preliminary autopsy results show Iliana Peters’ death was a homicide

Two of the three charges carry a maximum penalty of life in prison. The 14-year-old boy is being tried in adult court.

Chippewa County District Attorney Wade Newell said in court on Wednesday that the 14-year-old boy told investigators that he intended to rape and kill Peters when they left a house in Chippewa Falls together. Newell said that the suspect told investigators that he hit Peters in the stomach and with a stick before strangling her to death and then sexually assaulting her.

The part about the bolded text that I find puzzling is that he said he intended to rape and kill her, yet he did it the other way around, which is not only strange, but extremely disturbing. I guess things didn't go as he planned and didn't want to miss his opportunity to have sex with her (since you can't rape a corpse. It's desecration, not rape). Although it's disgusting, I don't think it would add charges to his crimes. I hope he gets life so he can never, ever roam the streets again. Not just Lily, but ALL women deserve better than to have a person like this allowed to mingle with society.

Preliminary autopsy results show Iliana Peters’ death was a homicide
I can only speculate that possibly Lily put up a stronger fight than the suspect expected and so he rendered her unconscious before raping her.

I'm not convinced he raped Lily after she was dead; how could he know if she was still alive or dead? In any case it doesn't seem like his goal was to rape a dead girl but rather to rape a victim who didn't fight back. All my own opinion of course.

And I agree that regardless of the circumstances this boy should be kept from society until he's no longer a danger - like when he's 90 or so. :mad:

A trial I was watching in UK recently concluded where the jury convicted a mother, her boyfriend, and a 13 yr old youth (now 14) for murdering the mother's 5 yr old son.

Since I had this link handy, thought to share it here:

Children who kill : They can and should be reclaimed

Children who kill

Juvenile delinquency, including violence, is increasing, but homicide committed by children remains rare.1 While the acts and features of children who kill are heterogeneous, all these children are seriously disturbed, with high rates of neuropsychological abnormalities, poor impulse control, school failure, and truancy.

All have experienced severe family adversities: domestic violence, neglect, child abuse, substance misuse, maternal depression, and absence of fathers.24 Because homicide by children is so rare, population approaches to prevention are not realistic.5

But the evidence, though limited, is that with good care and psychiatric treatment the children do well and do not reoffend in later life.2 This fact should govern the way that they are treated by the criminal justice system.

[..]

UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor*

A trial I was watching in UK recently concluded where the jury convicted a mother, her boyfriend, and a 13 yr old youth (now 14) for murdering the mother's 5 yr old son.

Since I had this link handy, thought to share it here:

Children who kill : They can and should be reclaimed

Children who kill

Juvenile delinquency, including violence, is increasing, but homicide committed by children remains rare.1 While the acts and features of children who kill are heterogeneous, all these children are seriously disturbed, with high rates of neuropsychological abnormalities, poor impulse control, school failure, and truancy.

All have experienced severe family adversities: domestic violence, neglect, child abuse, substance misuse, maternal depression, and absence of fathers.24 Because homicide by children is so rare, population approaches to prevention are not realistic.5

But the evidence, though limited, is that with good care and psychiatric treatment the children do well and do not reoffend in later life.2 This fact should govern the way that they are treated by the criminal justice system.

[..]

UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor*
I sure hope our killer gets more time than the two 10 year old boys in UK got for torturing and murdering a 2 year old toddler (James Bulger). They were sentenced to a minimum of eight years in a juvenile detention centre (that's "English" for center. lol).

Their upbringing is pretty much what your article laid out @Seattle1 .

Both Robert Thompson and Jon Venables had rough early years. Thompson was the fifth of seven children, born on August 23, 1982, in Liverpool, England. His father had abandoned the family early on, causing his depressed mother to turn to alcohol and even attempt suicide.

As for Venables, he was also born in Liverpool, and just a few days before Thompson, on August 13, 1982. Like Thompson, Venables’ parents were separated. Though Venables’ father was still in the picture, his mother was known to be “harsh” toward the young boy. She was also accused of being a “loose” woman who was often seen with several different men.

How Robert Thompson And Jon Venables Became Killers At Age 10 (allthatsinteresting.com)

<modsnip>Possibly, Lily stating her dad expected her home by 9 and would be worried, and that hit a nerve for a youth who did not have that same relationship with their father?

This one is so difficult. It hurts my heart and makes me sick for all involved. Lily's beautiful smile is heartbreakingly haunting. RIP, Sweet Girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside shaken community that rallied to help catch 10-year-old's 'killer'
  • 7:16 ET, Apr 30 2022
  • Updated: 9:11 ET, Apr 30 2022
CHILDREN - as young as six - stop at a slain Lily Peters' purple-themed memorial full of balloons, flowers and stuffed animals outside their school.

Some knew the beloved 10-year-old well; some only saw her around town, but they went to school with her. They saw her riding her bike. They were all part of the small Wisconsin town.

NINTCHDBPICT000729526205.jpg

"Lily never let a kid feel unnoticed," Chippewa Falls resident Brittany Rose told The Sun on Friday.

[..]

But Rose's six-year-old son, who is a kindergartener at the same elementary school that Lily attended, "didn't say anything about the police or media, just Lily's memorial."

She said Lily always waved at her little boy and said she "was a child to our community."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave