Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lily Alert is in the works.

State Representative Jesse James caught wind of the effort and is taking steps to get the Lily Alert in front of the legislature.

“We needed to have a discussion on what we could do to help improve any type of report that would come across our agencies in the state of Wisconsin and how to disseminate information quicker to the area, to the region, to the state,” James said.

James says some of the criteria will differ from an Amber Alert.

“The big difference is the Amber Alert means that the child has been abducted and they have information regarding the suspect or the individual involved in abducting the child and or information regarding any type of vehicle or boat or whatever vehicle they may be in,” James said.

The Lily Alert would be for missing children under the age of 18, whose whereabouts are still unknown after police conduct a search.

MADISON, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A petition created by a Chippewa Falls man calling for changes to the state's missing children's system has been answered by lawmakers.

On Thursday, officials will meet in Chippewa Falls to consider legislative solutions to ease the state's requirements when law enforcement issues an Amber Alert for a missing child.

The meeting comes after Eric Henry, a resident of Chippewa Falls, created the "Lily Alert" petition days following the tragic death of 10-year-old Lily Peters in late April.

I HOPE this case does NOT go to juvenile court. I know Grandma is probably having a hard time dealing with everything, but justice must be served for little Lily, and it won't be in juvenile court. JMO

Last edited:
I HOPE this case does NOT go to juvenile court. I know Grandma is probably having a hard time dealing with everything, but justice must be served, and it won't be in juvi court. JMO

I can understand the grandmother's concern but this was a particularly vicious crime. The suspect actually bit his victim then beat her and strangled her to death. The crime is way beyond a young adult getting "mixed up" and losing control. What he did is rape, assault and murder, not some Saturday night shenanigans!

IMO it wouldn't serve the public's interest to segregate him from society for a few short years and then let him out to possibly offend again.

What guarantee would be given that the 14-year-old could be rehabilitated and made safe? I'm especially concerned with this from the article:

Cohen also seemed to admonish the judge for a decision he made in court in May, when he discussed with the family whether certain documents should be a matter of public record.
My bolding. What documents are they talking about? I'd like to know.

3- page letter addressed to Judge Lane by the defendant's maternal grandmother is available at the news link below. In addition to requesting his case be tried in juvenile court, she includes the 8th-grade defendant has never been in trouble before and was selected as student of the month in February by a group of his peers.

I can understand the grandmother's concern but this was a particularly vicious crime. The suspect actually bit his victim then beat her and strangled her to death. The crime is way beyond a young adult getting "mixed up" and losing control. What he did is rape, assault and murder, not some Saturday night shenanigans!

IMO it wouldn't serve the public's interest to segregate him from society for a few short years and then let him out to possibly offend again.

What guarantee would be given that the 14-year-old could be rehabilitated and made safe? I'm especially concerned with this from the article:

My bolding. What documents are they talking about? I'd like to know.
^^bbm
The search warrants.

3- page letter addressed to Judge Lane by the defendant's maternal grandmother is available at the news link below. In addition to requesting his case be tried in juvenile court, she includes the 8th-grade defendant has never been in trouble before and was selected as student of the month in February by a group of his peers.

BBM..He may never have been through the legal system, but I find it very difficult to believe that someone who has "never been in trouble before" just one day decides to beat, strangle, rape and kill an innocent ten-year-old girl.<modsnip> JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, @Seattle1! Do you know why the search warrants shouldn't be a matter of public record according to defense counsel?

While every state is different, most states generally provide for search warrants and case documents to be sealed during an active investigation.

Wisconsin legislation and case law give judges the power to seal documents. But each county is left to structure the language on its seals and decide how long documents remain sealed.

Similar to Wisconsin, there are several states that deem criminal search warrants either exempt or suppressed from state public disclosure acts. For example, many states will suppress their release until the preliminary hearing.

Some reasons for delaying the release include giving the prosecution and defense time to interview witnesses and obtain their unbiased statements prior to any unfair influence when evidence is readily in the public domain. There are also occasions when a prosecutor drops the charges or decides against prosecuting a case and releasing warrant information prematurely can violate both privacy and reputation (i.e., balancing test).

Personally, I'm generally in favor of suppressing warrants until the preliminary hearing, and in this case especially where I really don't see any value in releasing the warrant contents of such an ugly, horrific crime against a child, committed by another child, months if not years, in advance of a trial. I'm thinking not only of Lily's family but also her 10-year-old classmates where the trial will be bad enough for the children and their parents, let alone having the chatter of the details in the public for months if not years. JMO

Docket update:

Court record
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
06-13-2022 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
from Attorney Michael R. Cohen re: documents filed with the Court (sent for review)

06-10-2022 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
Follow up correspondence submitted on 6/9/2022. Addressed to Judge Lane.

06-09-2022 Letters/correspondence

06-07-2022 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
Filed by Attorney Cohen to Judge Lane - Sent for review

05-25-2022 Transcript
Additional text:
Review Hearing 5/5/2022

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Yes, I'm sure all our hearts are breaking for the grandmother, but her request for leniency is just not possible, sensible or just. It is not only the horrific nature of the crime, but the fact that it was so premeditated. That is not just a "good kid", so "kind, loving, caring, etc" getting a bit mixed up. This, whatever the cause, is real evil.

It is cases like these that I wish our penal system was set up a bit differently. It would be nice if juveniles could be tried, and convicted, in adult court. Then, sentenced to a maximum security, juvenile facility until they turn 18. At that point, they are transferred to an adult facility. JMO and wish

Unless there is MSM or another approved source to support that family members are somehow responsible for what a perpetrator does, that discussion / speculative opinion is off limits.

From The Rules: Etiquette & Information

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but
do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them.

It is cases like these that I wish our penal system was set up a bit differently. It would be nice if juveniles could be tried, and convicted, in adult court. Then, sentenced to a maximum security, juvenile facility until they turn 18. At that point, they are transferred to an adult facility. JMO and wish
I think that is a GREAT idea!! LOVE it!!!

Friday, June 24th:
*Status Conference Hearing (@ 9:30am ET) - WI - Iliana “Lily” Peters (10) (left aunt's, didn't arrive home, bike found, reported missing April 24, 2022 @ 9pm, found April 25, 2022 @ 9:15am located near the walking trail at the end of North Grove St. at the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery Co. parking lot, Chippewa Falls) - *C. P-B. (14) arrested & charged (4/26/22) & arraigned (4/27/22) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault/great bodily harm & 1st degree sexual assault on a child under 13 resulting in great bodily harm. Cash bond of $1M.
Case & court info from 4/27/22 reference post #854 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...hippewa-falls-24-apr-22-arrest.620807/page-43

4/28/22: Defendant's Motion for discovery. Motion to preserve evidence-filed by Michael Cohen. 5/2/22: Authorization for attorney to act on defendant's behalf. Next court hearing on 5/5/22 to discuss issues such as who will represent the juvenile suspect.
5/5/22 Update: Review hearing. Prosecuting attorney Wade Newell & Sheila Yohnk in court for the State. Defendant C.T.P.-B. appeared by video, in custody. Attorney Michael R. Cohen appeared by video. Court reminds gallery of the Order on file re: decorum. DA Newell states case & notes appearances. Attorney Cohen does not wish to address bond or withdraw the waiver of time limits for preliminary hearing at this time. Court allows defendant & counsel to appear by video for all future hearings. Court addresses ex parte requests for the release of Criminal Complaint & Search Warrants that are currently filed under seal. State does not object to the Complaint being released. Attorney Cohen objects to release & further indicates that he has not had an opportunity to review search warrants. Court orders the Criminal Complaint be released to the public subject to redactions, the Court further indicates that the redacted copy will not be available until later tomorrow or Monday. Court orders the Search Warrants remain filed under seal at this time. Bond continued. Next status conference scheduled for 6/24/22 @ 9:30am.
6/7/22: Letters/correspondence filed by attorney Cohen to Judge Lane-sent for review. 6/10/22: Follow up correspondence submitted 6/9/22, addressed to Judge Lane. 6/13/22: Letters/correspondence from attorney Michael Cohen re documents filed with the Court (sent for review).

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for the afternoon of September 1 in Chippewa County Circuit Court from noon until 4:30 p.m.

Chippewa County AD Wade Newell asked for a four-hour preliminary hearing. C. P.-B.’s attorney, Michael Cohen, suggested a tentatively longer period of time, citing the amount of material in the case and the number of witnesses to be called.

Cohen also requested a gag order on the case seeking to restrict access to non-public information, citing a YouTube video containing drone video, photos, police communications, 911 calls and information about the case. Cohen said that information gathered by law enforcement had been leaked. Cohen asked the court to impose serious consequences on anyone leaking information to the public. AD Newell said that leaking information is already illegal so there is no need for the court to impose any special order regarding the matter.

Court record:
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
06-24-2022 Video conferencing

06-24-2022 Status conference Lane, Benjamin J. Dillon, Connie
Additional text:
9:24 AM Prosecuting attorney Wade Newell & Sheila Younk in court for the State of Wisconsin. Defendant C.T.P.-B. appeared by video, in custody. Attorney Michael R. Cohen appeared by video for C.T.P.-B. DA Newell states case and notes appearances.
Attorney Cohen address discovery & indicates there are still items he is waiting on.
Attorney Cohen requests Preliminary Hearing be scheduled and intends to appear in person.
DA Newell agrees and requests hearing be scheduled for 4 hours.
Attorney Cohen requests disclosure of witnesses prior to hearing and notes his reservations re: video appearance.
Court orders all documentation be filed prior to hearing if witnesses will be appearing by video.
Attorney Cohen addresses previously submitted request & outlines information from investigation and video that has been made public. Request for Gag Order to prohibit anyone from disclosure of information.
DA Newell requests link to video at issue.
Attorney Cohen to forward video link to DA & the Court.
Court to review video to ensure everyone's rights are being met.
Court further discusses jurisdiction and the potential need to submit CV filing to prohibit release of information.
Court directs state, defense, law enforcement and any other parties who may have obtained information to maintain information confidentially if not released as a public record or by a public official according to Chapter 19.
Bond continued.
Preliminary hearing scheduled for September 1, 2022 at 12:00 pm.

06-21-2022 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
Filed by Attorney Cohen, RE: Upcoming court appearance - sent for review

Hearings:
Court activities
Date Time Location Description Type Court official
09-01-2022 12:00 pm Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 3 Preliminary hearing Court Lane, Benjamin J.

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member