Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Court record:
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
06-24-2022 Video conferencing

06-24-2022 Status conference Lane, Benjamin J. Dillon, Connie
Additional text:
9:24 AM Prosecuting attorney Wade Newell & Sheila Younk in court for the State of Wisconsin. Defendant C.T.P.-B. appeared by video, in custody. Attorney Michael R. Cohen appeared by video for C.T.P.-B. DA Newell states case and notes appearances.
Attorney Cohen address discovery & indicates there are still items he is waiting on.
Attorney Cohen requests Preliminary Hearing be scheduled and intends to appear in person.
DA Newell agrees and requests hearing be scheduled for 4 hours.
Attorney Cohen requests disclosure of witnesses prior to hearing and notes his reservations re: video appearance.
Court orders all documentation be filed prior to hearing if witnesses will be appearing by video.
Attorney Cohen addresses previously submitted request & outlines information from investigation and video that has been made public. Request for Gag Order to prohibit anyone from disclosure of information.
DA Newell requests link to video at issue.
Attorney Cohen to forward video link to DA & the Court.
Court to review video to ensure everyone's rights are being met.
Court further discusses jurisdiction and the potential need to submit CV filing to prohibit release of information.
Court directs state, defense, law enforcement and any other parties who may have obtained information to maintain information confidentially if not released as a public record or by a public official according to Chapter 19.
Bond continued.
Preliminary hearing scheduled for September 1, 2022 at 12:00 pm.

06-21-2022 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
Filed by Attorney Cohen, RE: Upcoming court appearance - sent for review

Hearings:
Court activities
Date Time Location Description Type Court official
09-01-2022 12:00 pm Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 3 Preliminary hearing Court Lane, Benjamin J.

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access
Good job @Niner. I found a dozen restricted hearings for 6/23 but only two for 6/24 which did not apply so I was happy to see your post!!

6/24/22

CHIPPEWA COUNTY (WQOW) - In a hearing for the case of C.P.-B., who is accused of killing and assaulting 10-year-old Lily Peters in April, his lawyer brought up concerns about a video posted to YouTube.

The video airs what sounds like audio from a police officer -- something that has not been made public.

C.P.-B.'s lawyer Michael Cohen told the judge that the video includes information that he believes is false. He said it also includes information that he himself has not seen.

"This is the type of concern I have about this case," he said. "The amount of information that is direct law enforcement information tells me that somehow information has been leaked out that is of a significant evidentiary nature, and I don't have it. But now, almost a million people have seen it."

[..]

The next court appearance was scheduled for September 1.

6/24/22

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU) - The next court date in the Lily Peters homicide case is set.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for the afternoon of September 1 in Chippewa County Circuit Court from noon until 4:30 p.m.

If more time is needed, the court would schedule additional time at the end of the preliminary hearing for a later date.

8th-grader C. P.-B. is facing charges of 1st-degree intentional homicide, 1st-degree sexual assault resulting in great bodily harm and 1st-degree sexual assault of a child under the age of 13 in the death of 10-year-old Iliana “Lily” Peters.

Chippewa County AD Wade Newell asked for a four-hour preliminary hearing. C. P.-B.’s attorney, Michael Cohen, suggested a tentatively longer period of time, citing the amount of material in the case and the number of witnesses to be called. Both sides agreed that witnesses could appear virtually during the preliminary hearing, provided they followed state law for court procedures.

Cohen also requested a gag order on the case seeking to restrict access to non-public information, citing a YouTube video containing drone video, photos, police communications, 911 calls and information about the case. Cohen said that information gathered by law enforcement had been leaked. Cohen asked the court to impose serious consequences on anyone leaking information to the public. AD Newell said that leaking information is already illegal so there is no need for the court to impose any special order regarding the matter. Chippewa County Circuit Court Judge Benjamin Lane said he would need to review the video, but reminded the defense, prosecutors and law enforcement that information about the case that is not subject to public open records laws should not be released and should remain confidential.

6/24/22

CHIPPEWA FALLS - The 14-year-old boy accused of killing Lily Peters will be back in court in September for what is expected to be an hours-long hearing with testimony from witnesses.

The boy, who has not been publicly identified by name, appeared by video Friday with his attorney, Michael Cohen, for a brief hearing, during which Cohen, District Attorney Wade Newell and Judge Benjamin Lane discussed what arrangements might need to be made for witnesses testifying at a preliminary hearing Sept. 1.

In Wisconsin, anyone charged with a felony has the right to a preliminary hearing at which a judge must decide if there is probable cause to believe a felony has been committed by the defendant.

[..]

Cohen also raised concerns Friday about a YouTube video that purportedly includes "specific pieces of evidence" related to the case, including "video footage, phone calls, 911 calls, documents and other things."

6/24/22

CHIPPEWA COUNTY (WQOW) - In a hearing for the case of C.P.-B., who is accused of killing and assaulting 10-year-old Lily Peters in April, his lawyer brought up concerns about a video posted to YouTube.

The video airs what sounds like audio from a police officer -- something that has not been made public.

C.P.-B.'s lawyer Michael Cohen told the judge that the video includes information that he believes is false. He said it also includes information that he himself has not seen.

"This is the type of concern I have about this case," he said. "The amount of information that is direct law enforcement information tells me that somehow information has been leaked out that is of a significant evidentiary nature, and I don't have it. But now, almost a million people have seen it."

[..]

The next court appearance was scheduled for September 1.
^^bbm

I believe this to be the YT video in question (description only).

The Judge requested that the defendant's defense attorney send him the link at the conclusion of the hearing on Friday.

While Dan Abrams Law & Crime Network is WS approved, I'm not linking the YT because I believe the creator of the documentary hijacked L & C banner to post the subject video that identifies the youth, and the defense believes prejudicial to the defendant, as reported in the quoted MSM link. Also, I previously watched a similar YT about the case by "Mr. Black" and it was under the creator's account, not Law & Crime Network. MOO

Allegedly Murdered By Her Older Cousin - The Lily Peters Story (True Crime Documentary)​

949,177 views Jun 3, 2022 Lily Peters disappeared in April after leaving her aunt's house on her bike. She was never seen alive again. Peters' body was found by Chippewa Falls Police in a wooded area, unbeknownst to what happened or why it happened. What would come next would shock Chippewa Falls, WI and the horrible twists in this true-crime horror case simply would not stop coming.

Chippewa County Circuit Judge Benjamin Lane on Friday scheduled a Sept. 1 preliminary hearing for the 14-year-old boy, identified in court documents as C.T.P.-B. That's the step in the criminal justice process where a judge determines if enough evidence exists to bind a defendant over for trial.

The boy told investigators that he was riding his hoverboard alongside Lily on a trail and he intended to sexually assault and kill her, according to the complaint.

He asked Lily to leave the trail and explore the woods with him. According to the complaint, he told investigators that once they were off the trail, he punched her, hit her with a stick and strangled her before he sexually assaulted her body.

The boy's attorney, Michael Cohen, told Lane on Friday that he was upset that someone posted a video online that included recordings of police communications in the moments Lily's body was found and that characterized the boy as a "little monster." Cohen alleged that someone in law enforcement leaked confidential information to the poster and demanded the judge issue a gag order. He didn't specify against whom, though.

Lane asked Cohen for the link to the video and stated that anyone with access to investigatory materials should keep them confidential and their release could jeopardize the boy's right to a fair trial.

Chippewa County Circuit Judge Benjamin Lane on Friday scheduled a Sept. 1 preliminary hearing for the 14-year-old boy, identified in court documents as C.T.P.-B. That's the step in the criminal justice process where a judge determines if enough evidence exists to bind a defendant over for trial.

The boy told investigators that he was riding his hoverboard alongside Lily on a trail and he intended to sexually assault and kill her, according to the complaint.

He asked Lily to leave the trail and explore the woods with him. According to the complaint, he told investigators that once they were off the trail, he punched her, hit her with a stick and strangled her before he sexually assaulted her body.

The boy's attorney, Michael Cohen, told Lane on Friday that he was upset that someone posted a video online that included recordings of police communications in the moments Lily's body was found and that characterized the boy as a "little monster." Cohen alleged that someone in law enforcement leaked confidential information to the poster and demanded the judge issue a gag order. He didn't specify against whom, though.

Lane asked Cohen for the link to the video and stated that anyone with access to investigatory materials should keep them confidential and their release could jeopardize the boy's right to a fair trial.
Oh dear… I hope this does not jeopardize the case. I mean, with the video out there for anybody to see, it could be argued that he could not get a fair trial, l guess. But I guess during voir dire(?), the jury could be asked if they had seen the video or heard of it.

Oh dear… I hope this does not jeopardize the case. I mean, with the video out there for anybody to see, it could be argued that he could not get a fair trial, l guess. But I guess during voir dire(?), the jury could be asked if they had seen the video or heard of it.
It's a serious issue. And we don't want any reason to edge this case to juvenile court! The video discussed in court on Friday was uploaded on June 3, and is just shy of one million views! And the creator has posted various versions of the same YT on different channels that I don't think have all been identified, and those views counted. :eek:

I watched the video that is discussed, that was has me here on this thread. I was watching something to do with the Depp v Heard trial and I have auto play on, and this was the next video that just randomly came up, and I'm in Ireland.

I am horrified for what that little girl went through, and I cannot even begin to imagine what her family, friends and the rest of the community are feeling about this.

I truly hope that this video does not stop getting justice for LIly. It just shows what kind of world we are living in where people can get hold of this highly confidential information and put it out for the whole world to see. I hope they find out who it was that made this video.
Rip Lily <3

6/24/22

CHIPPEWA FALLS, WI (WSAU) — His name remains under wraps, but the case against the 14-year-old boy accused of beating, sexually assaulting, and killing ten-year-old Lily Peters this spring is moving forward.

The suspect, identified by the initials C.P.B., was in court on Friday for a scheduling conference where a judge set a 4.5-hour preliminary hearing for September 1st. He faces charges including first-degree homicide and first-degree sexual assault of a child under the age of 13.

[..]

Numerous documents in the case remain sealed or partially redacted for various reasons. The defense team also reportedly asked for a gag order on certain information relating to the trial after some video and audio footage related to the investigation was leaked. That order wasn’t given, but the judge did remind both sides that certain information relating to the case needs to remain private and is not subject to open records.

If found guilty C.P.B. faces a mandatory life sentence if the case remains in adult court.

As of this date, the defense has not filed any request for it to be moved into a juvenile proceeding.

I've watched all the streamed court hearings for this case and will say that IMO, Chippewa County Circuit Judge Benjamin Lane appears very pro-court transparency and open records, sealing and redacting only what's typical, and not more, so I'm not surprised that he did not issue a gag order prior to seeing the subject Youtube video for himself.

A prelim hearing is scheduled for Sept 1, (subject to continuation if more than 4.5 hours are required), and is often referred to as a "mini-trial" where after hearing the evidence and witness testimony, Judge will decide if probable cause exists to bound the case over for trial.

During the PH, we will likely learn of evidence collected under a warrant for the first time. If a gag order is issued before, during, or after the PH, I'm hopeful it will only apply to case officials. MOO

Thursday, September 1st:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 12pm to 4:30pm ET) - WI - Iliana “Lily” Peters (10) (left aunt's, didn't arrive home, bike found, reported missing April 24, 2022 @ 9pm, found April 25, 2022 @ 9:15am located near the walking trail at the end of North Grove St. at the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery Co. parking lot, Chippewa Falls) - *C. T. P-B. (14) arrested & charged (4/26/22) & arraigned (4/27/22) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault/great bodily harm & 1st degree sexual assault on a child under 13 resulting in great bodily harm. Cash bond of $1M.
Case & court info from 4/27/22 thru 6/10/22 reference post #938 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...hippewa-falls-24-apr-22-arrest.620807/page-47

6/13/22: Letters/correspondence from attorney Michael Cohen re documents filed with the Court (sent for review). Next status conference hearing on 6/24/22.
6/24/22 Update: Friday’s status conference was conducted with the defendant, C. P.-B. & his new representation, Michael Cohen, appearing virtually. The conference is being set to establish future court dates in the case. The date was picked to allow time for Chippewa County DA Wade Newell to deliver materials to the defendant & his representation & for the defense to review all of the case materials. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for the afternoon of 9/1/22 in Chippewa County Circuit Court from noon until 4:30 pm. If more time is needed, the court would schedule additional time at the end of the preliminary hearing for a later date. Chippewa County AD Wade Newell asked for a four-hour preliminary hearing. C. P.-B.’s attorney, Michael Cohen, suggested a tentatively longer period of time, citing the amount of material in the case & the number of witnesses to be called. Both sides agreed that witnesses could appear virtually during the preliminary hearing, provided they followed state law for court procedures. Court directs state, defense, law enforcement & any other parties who may have obtained information to maintain information confidentially if not released as a public record or by a public official according to Chapter 19. Two of the three charges C. P.-B. faces carry a maximum lifetime sentence in Wisconsin prison since he is currently being tried as an adult. $1 million bond continues for C. P.-B., who is being held at the Eau Claire Juvenile Detention Center while the case is tried in court.

Thursday, September 1st:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 12pm to 4:30pm ET) - WI - Iliana “Lily” Peters (10) (left aunt's, didn't arrive home, bike found, reported missing April 24, 2022 @ 9pm, found April 25, 2022 @ 9:15am located near the walking trail at the end of North Grove St. at the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery Co. parking lot, Chippewa Falls) - *C. T. P-B. (14) arrested & charged (4/26/22) & arraigned (4/27/22) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault/great bodily harm & 1st degree sexual assault on a child under 13 resulting in great bodily harm. Cash bond of $1M.
Case & court info from 4/27/22 thru 6/10/22 reference post #938 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...hippewa-falls-24-apr-22-arrest.620807/page-47

6/13/22: Letters/correspondence from attorney Michael Cohen re documents filed with the Court (sent for review). Next status conference hearing on 6/24/22.
6/24/22 Update: Friday’s status conference was conducted with the defendant, C. P.-B. & his new representation, Michael Cohen, appearing virtually. The conference is being set to establish future court dates in the case. The date was picked to allow time for Chippewa County DA Wade Newell to deliver materials to the defendant & his representation & for the defense to review all of the case materials. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for the afternoon of 9/1/22 in Chippewa County Circuit Court from noon until 4:30 pm. If more time is needed, the court would schedule additional time at the end of the preliminary hearing for a later date. Chippewa County AD Wade Newell asked for a four-hour preliminary hearing. C. P.-B.’s attorney, Michael Cohen, suggested a tentatively longer period of time, citing the amount of material in the case & the number of witnesses to be called. Both sides agreed that witnesses could appear virtually during the preliminary hearing, provided they followed state law for court procedures. Court directs state, defense, law enforcement & any other parties who may have obtained information to maintain information confidentially if not released as a public record or by a public official according to Chapter 19. Two of the three charges C. P.-B. faces carry a maximum lifetime sentence in Wisconsin prison since he is currently being tried as an adult. $1 million bond continues for C. P.-B., who is being held at the Eau Claire Juvenile Detention Center while the case is tried in court.
Should be a quick hearing, as the defense isn't going to contest that there's enough to move forward.

8/31/22

CHIPPEWA COUNTY, Wis. (WEAU) -The attorney for the teenager charged in the homicide of 10-year-old, Lily Peters, says his client plans to waive his right to a preliminary hearing Thursday.

The hearing is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. in Chippewa County Court. A preliminary hearing is when the judge decides if there is enough evidence against the defendant for the case to move forward in court.

In a letter to the judge, attorney Michael Cohen says he and his client will put on record at the hearing that the facts contained in the criminal complaint are sufficient for the court to find probable cause.

@Niner

Defense appeared by zoom and advised the court they will be filing a petition for reverse waiver hearing to move the case to juvenile court.
NOOOOOO to juvenile court!! Adult crime, adult time!! No hand-slapping, tsking and finger wagging for him!! He PLANNED that!! He had all intention to do what he did! It's bad enough he raped her but to kill her too?!?!?

*mutters under my breath*

From the 9/1/22 hearing:

A scheduling status conference/hearing by phone is scheduled for 9/29/22 at 8:30 AM. Defendant's appearance is waived.

The petition for reverse waiver hearing is expected to last at least two days -- depending on the number of witnesses to be called by each party. (A reverse waiver hearing does not allow hearsay and all expert witnesses must appear in person).

From the 9/1/22 hearing:

A scheduling status conference/hearing by phone is scheduled for 9/29/22 at 8:30 AM. Defendant's appearance is waived.

The petition for reverse waiver hearing is expected to last at least two days -- depending on the number of witnesses to be called by each party. (A reverse waiver hearing does not allow hearsay and all expert witnesses must appear in person).
Thanks for your updates, @Seattle1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member