Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory but it is just that, a theory. And bare with me because I may seem like I am saying jayme had a part in it but 100% am NOT saying that.
My theory is that is was somewhat like the dede Blanchard case - expect jayme wasn't being tortured but just complained about normal teenage/ parent struggles. Perhaps she met this man online and vented to him about not having the freedom she wanted to or something, so he decided to take it into his own hands and "free" her from her parents.
Again, I do not think she actually wanted her parents dead and I am NOT saying he thought he was saving her, I think he was obsessed with her and sick.
I am so happy Jayme is safe but my heart breaks for her and the pain she has been going through and will continue to go through. Prayers that she is able to heal.

Sheriff said it appeared they had no prior contact online or of any kind

I hated watching this conference. I want to see more praise for Jayme and less praise for themselves! Even praise to the dogwalker would be nice!
My sentiments exactly. As I waited for the press conference to begin, I imagined the kinds of things that I would say if I was the sheriff. It went something like, “I would like to say to Jayme, young lady, we tried very hard to find you and we never gave up. In the end, you had to free yourself and do the finding on your own. I am so sorry that you had to do that but I thank God for your courage to do so. I just wish that it had been us finding you, and that it would have been a lot sooner than 3 months.”

So I was shocked when he said that for 88 days they worked tirelessly and finally, yesterday “we brought her home.” You gave her a ride. And you did catch the suspect quickly, so good on you for that. I know you put a lot of effort into the investigation and I don’t discount that. But patting yourselves on the back right from the jump is a little tone-deaf considering the circumstances.

ETA: to me, the FBI special agent in charge is the one who came closest to setting the right tone. I thought he was appropriately humble.

Last edited:
There will be replays of it online I am pretty sure so you can watch it later.

This link keeps their older videos from what I see and is carrying it live so they may have the video tape for you when you can catch it. Look to the right and down some for the tape after its over.

WATCH LIVE at 10 a.m.: Jayme Closs Found Alive/Sheriff Press Conference

Hi Hatfield-- thank you for posting this link for this latecomer to Jayme's case. What an incredible outcome. I hope someday Jayme will feel our collective support. I am so impressed with her bravery and fortitude during the most difficult and tragic of times. She held it together, she really did. I am so thankful to the wonderful, caring people who worked tirelessly to bring Jayme back to her remaining family. They have had such real compassion for her. Bless them all!!!

Live updates: Missing teen Jayme Closs found alive - CNN
Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Jayme Closs was kept in a "home in a remote area" of Douglas County, Wisconsin.

"There isn't a lot of houses in that area," he said.

The sheriff added that the suspect concealed her while she was in the home.

Fitzgerald did not give more details about the dwelling.

View attachment 163700

The man accused of kidnapping the 13-year-old girl found alive after being missing since mid-October has been named as 21-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson.

Police confirmed Patterson, from Gordon, Wis., is in custody on two charges of first degree intentional homicide in the deaths of Jayme Closs' parents and one count of kidnapping.

Jayme Closs kidnap: Man in custody named as Jake Thomas Patterson | Daily Mail Online
I'll bet this guy's family is locking themselves in a fallout shelter right about now.

As soon as they said he took steps to conceal himself my first thought was I bet he scrubbed and deleted all SM presence. JMO.

I wonder if they had facebook etc. scrub him after he was caught but before his name was public. Then again seems like the 20 year olds today are not really into facebook as much.

So much to rule out now...

Not a robbery
Not drug connected
Not related to JennieO
Didn't know the parents
No previous criminal record (but neighbors claim he had run-ins w/LE).
Not employed at this time.

Suspect does have a link to Barron Cty, but Sheriff wouldn't comment further, except to say no connection to JennieO.

Another presser at 4PM with more info to come.

Edit: “does have a tie to Barron County”. Previously I wrote Barron as in the town. The sheriff said Barron County.

Last edited:
Live updates: Missing teen Jayme Closs found alive - CNN
Diane Tremblay, the administrator for Wisconsin's Barron County School District, thanked law enforcement as well as the businesses and families that came together during the search for Jayme Closs.

"Most importantly, we want to thank Jayme for being so courageous and for achieving an opportunity to find her way back to us," she said.

She added: "What an extraordinary young lady."

"Jayme we missed you, and we are so grateful you are home," Tremblay said.

That's true but this could at least be used to build the framework so that future cases can get solved without having to play a waiting game. Were there any red flags missed after the abduction, how did he fall under the radar and were there any signs of him planning the abduction. I understand the lack of evidence being the problem but we need to take this chance to learn why there was no evidence- there is no such thing as a perfect crime.

We need to learn why there was no evidence? I'm sorry. Not following that. Sometimes there just isn't anything that can help solve the case. LE did all they could do. They weren't just "waiting" around. There is no magic way to predict what some secret psychopath is planning unless they actually tell LE or someone else does.

This is the real world. Not a tv show like CSI which has, IMO, led to the attitude that if the cops don't find evidence or solve it within an hour, they didn't know what they were doing.

Nope. Most of these crimes can't be predicted or prevented. Sometimes perps are good at not leaving DNA or other clues.

That's reality.

It's a needle in a haystack issue. If a person doesn't have a criminal record, isn't a sex offender, hasn't done or said anything that others are able to notice that would be obvious enough for them to suspect he's hiding a live person in his house, etc., there's nothing that can be done and nothing LE needs to learn so they can do "better" the next time.

I'm not faulting them one bit. They worked harder than one can imagine. There just seemed to be a lot of self-congratulation for what the actual victim accomplished rather than them.

But @zea mays made a good point. They're likely just so stunned and elated that it's coming out a bit inarticulate.

They don't get outcomes like this very often.

Emotions must be so heightened.. look at how we all react.. sheriff mentioned it was up there but had to be careful as his kids and family were there xx

I was touched when I heard the applause at the end of the press conference.

Everyone was applauding not only for Jayme's courage and spirit to run to safety but to all of the assistance provided from all of the agencies at the press conference, as well as to the community.

zencompass, I appreciate the humanity and caring you bring here with your posts. Thank you. :)

I'm curious how JP was supporting himself? It takes money to keep the electricity on, to buy food, gas for the car, etc. How does someone with no job afford to live?

Sheriff said he had multiple cars and search warrants were being executed.. so he had some help or was doing something illegal imo

Hopefully he will be leaving it as an old man in a wooden box. He should never be free again. What is he facing sentence wise? I hope it is LWOP.
For each of the 1st degree homicide charges there is only one penalty - Life in Prison.

If for some reason one of the defenses to 1st degree murder is successful it can result in 2nd degree homicide and a sentence of 60 years maximum.

The kidnapping charge has a 40 year maximum sentence.

I agree. Why all the venom aimed at LE for this press conference? No they didn't solve this case, but neither did the websleuths community or anyone else for that matter! Don't they have the right to be elated just like the rest of us? They've been working round the clock for months, and have a lot more work to successfully bring this case to prosecution. Patterson has zero criminal record, and has been concealing his identity. Many crimes take a lucky break to be solved, as they mentioned. LE did apprehend the suspect in his car after Jayme escaped without incident, well done LE!

Let's just be happy this has a positive outcome!
100% agree with you! They were elated, as we all are to have this outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff