Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes - per the article linked above, FBI agent Brad Garrett stated to ABC news that "studies suggest 70 percent of people who commit abductions were abused as children, physically or psychologically, which can create a pattern of rage (this does not mean all people who are abused then go on to abuse others)."

I had no idea the percentage was that high.

Same goes for psychopaths in general.

All the psychopathic participants in this study stated they endured childhood trauma and about 77% indicated they endured some form of child abuse.
Traumatic experiences in childhood and psychopathy: a study on a sample of violent offenders from Italy

In this one, 71% of the psychopaths endured childhood abuse: NCJRS Abstract - National Criminal Justice Reference Service

Couple says they wouldn't accept $50,000 reward because Jayme Closs 'got herself out'
Authorities are deciding what to do with a $50,000 reward for information about 13-year-old Jayme Closs, the Wisconsin girl who was found alive nearly three months after authorities say she was abducted from her home and her parents killed by an intruder.

Milwaukee FBI spokesman Leonard Peace said Tuesday that the reward remains under review. Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald says the reward is being discussed with the FBI and will be determined later.

PK told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the couple does not want the reward. He says if anyone gets it, Jayme should because "She got herself out."
You know the dog walker JN has to be one of the most awesome people I've read about lately. It doesn't surprise me she isn't interested in the reward, but it sure does help restore my faith in humanity a bit. :)

ETA: Correction it was the K family that declined the reward. I still think JN and the K's are awesome.

Last edited:
They may make changes in their procedures etc. but may there never be a next time.
Yeah. This was such an unprecedented crime, that if you change your protocols to adjust for it, you may be moving in the wrong direction.

Protocols address the most common types of events, and not necessarily the ones that almost never happen.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/a...ping-suspect-kept-Wisconsin-girl-13534048.php
The prosecutor in the case, Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright, said after Patterson was charged Monday that a conviction in this case is important.

"We are seeking justice. We have two parents of a 13-year-old who are deceased. We have a 13-year-old who was abducted for 88 days against her will, forcibly. It doesn't get any more serious than that," he said.

Patterson's defense attorneys, Charles Glynn and Richard Jones, have said they might seek a change of venue.

Madel said the defense may try to suppress Patterson's statement to police, but it's unlikely that will succeed. They also might pursue an insanity-based defense, arguing that Patterson did not understand what he's accused of doing was wrong. But Madel doubts that would work either.

"He wore all black. He shaved his head. He took steps to conceal her in his home when people were over, and he was seemingly out looking for her when she was gone," Madel said. Those are indications that "he appreciated the criminality of what he was doing."

Wright said he does not plan for Jayme to testify at any upcoming proceedings, but Madel said it should be up to her. He said it can be helpful for victims to testify, even if they undergo extensive cross-examination, because doing so helps them feel like they helped convict their attackers.

"I get what the prosecutors are saying: They don't need to call her. But I sure hope they are going to leave that up to her," Madel said.

His poor father! What a kind gesture.
The perp put his family into an absolutely horrible position. I do wonder if he meant to harm them as deeply as he did, or was just thoughtless about the repercussions they would face because of him.

I have a feeling he meant to hurt them, though his primary motivation was is own personal satisfaction.

jmo

You know the dog walker JN has to be one of the most awesome people I've read about lately. It doesn't surprise me she isn't interested in the reward, but it sure does help restore my faith in humanity a bit. :)
I think this article is referring to the K's, the couple whose home JN took Jayme. I'm betting JN wants no part of the reward either, though. They are all three awesome people.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/a...ping-suspect-kept-Wisconsin-girl-13534048.php
The prosecutor in the case, Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright, said after Patterson was charged Monday that a conviction in this case is important.

"We are seeking justice. We have two parents of a 13-year-old who are deceased. We have a 13-year-old who was abducted for 88 days against her will, forcibly. It doesn't get any more serious than that," he said.

Patterson's defense attorneys, Charles Glynn and Richard Jones, have said they might seek a change of venue.

Madel said the defense may try to suppress Patterson's statement to police, but it's unlikely that will succeed. They also might pursue an insanity-based defense, arguing that Patterson did not understand what he's accused of doing was wrong. But Madel doubts that would work either.

"He wore all black. He shaved his head. He took steps to conceal her in his home when people were over, and he was seemingly out looking for her when she was gone," Madel said. Those are indications that "he appreciated the criminality of what he was doing."

Wright said he does not plan for Jayme to testify at any upcoming proceedings, but Madel said it should be up to her. He said it can be helpful for victims to testify, even if they undergo extensive cross-examination, because doing so helps them feel like they helped convict their attackers.

"I get what the prosecutors are saying: They don't need to call her. But I sure hope they are going to leave that up to her," Madel said.
Haaaa. So in a word: screwed.

You just hate to see that. :eek::D

A change of venue may be legally wise, but I doubt there is anywhere in Wisconsin that doesn't know Jayme. You go girl!

Prison is a barbaric, terrifying hell. I don't think anyone desires to go there. It's a long time since it was a warm nights sleep and a free hot meal. These days it is gang driven, full of torture. Even the tough guys come out with PTSD. ( former juvenile volunteer)

You don't think this person deserves to go to prison?

RBBM He also stated "I did it" when apprehended and knew why LE was there. Aware enough to know why he was being arrested and he just gave it up. No insanity plea....IMO

Somebody has has to have posted this already, but the radio call has been released:

I just got around to reading the transcript, and I am very impressed with the 911 operator. She managed to get the police and EMS to the house quickly, keep the women calm, get all the pertinent information about the accused, and still exude professionalism, warmth and concern throughout the entire call. Good job!

Transcript Of 911 Call Following Jayme Closs’ Escape

Closs Kidnapper Voted While She Was Captive
The timeline of activities of JTP after his alleged October 15th abduction of 13-year old Jayme Closs and murder of her parents in Barron County is certain to be of interest to authorities who are pursuing kidnapping and homicide charges against the 21 year old.

We can be of assistance regarding the date of Tuesday, November 8th. While Closs was held captive under his bed in a ramshackle cottage in the Douglas County village of Gordon, Patterson left her alone to make a 65-mile trip to Haugen, located in Barron County. At some time during the day, he went to the village hall, and cast his ballot in the general election before returning to his victim. Although Closs was kept captive in his Douglas County home, Patterson listed his home address as a residence in the Village of Haugen for voting purposes. The address corresponds to that of his mother and stepfather.

It was not the only time Patterson left Closs to make the 130-mile round trip. It has been reported that he also visited his mother at her home on January 10th — the day that Jayme was able to make her escape from her captivity.

You know something....... At this point, it probably wouldn't surprise us to learn that Patterson was involved in the big search for Jayme.

Something is deeply flawed in this guy's thought processes and his ability to hold down a job. He worked at the turkey place 2 days and some other job I think for 1 day. He was booted out of the marines pretty quick. Something tells me he wanted to go to prison where he will get 3 hots and a cot for the rest of his miserable life. Wonder if his dad was putting pressure on him to measure up and get a life and a job and get out? Wonder if he did this knowing he would get caught and then all the pretending and his anxiety to grow up would be relieved?

What he may have not considered is the other prisoners will eat him like a marshmallow if they get a chance. He better watch his back
I wonder the same. And I suspect prison conditions vary from state to state but there is much more freedom in prison than in a county jail. I've had people who couldn't wait to get out of county and go to prison

I wonder where he drove before going to his house . It's only an hour away isn't it?
According to Jayme, her abductor then bundled into the trunk and drove her approximately two hours to the cabin where he would hold her for the next three months until her remarkable escape last week.

It's a little over an hour to between the two places. Jayme said she thought she was in the car for 2 hours. I imagine that with it being dark and her not having access to the time, she was estimating. An hour, hour and a half, probably felt like an eternity to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam