Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by JerseyGirl, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

The Model Penal Code which is the most popular insanity test doesn't currently recognize antisocial personality disorder (as per the criteria of the criteria of the DSMIV) so it isn't usually used as an insanity defense. However, this can vary by jurisdiction (Oklahoma, for instance, passed a law excluding ASD from an insanity defense) and it's a very complex issue with quite a few recent studies and examples that serve only to make the subject muddier. In addition, it can be presented along with a co-morbidity.

Still, it has not been reported whether JP has any kind of mental illness, personality disorder, or any medical condition at ALL so at this point it's all just speculation anyway. It's an interesting topic, we could go back and forth on it all day, but it would steer the conversation way off topic considering that any disorder or illness he has would just be our own conjecture (based on our own experiences and professional expertise) and we have no idea which way his attorneys are even leaning. More than likely, an actual trial-if there is one-is years away.

8paws, Jim_M, Lilibet and 5 others like this.

2. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

We all know why he took her and what she likely endured. It's common sense. But some of the rampant speculation about what she endured just grosses me out. It seems prurient. Like there's an excitement, a looky loo desire to get all the "juicy" details.

But with all that's out there that is not well moderated or moderated at all and that doesn't have the standards of websleuths, I think trying to police these threads isn't likely to protect Jayme.

When she googles her name she's going to get a million hits that have nothing to do with this. Thousands of media articles with people's comments. Hundreds of Facebook groups and articles. Reddit. YouTube. Etc.

I'd be much more worried about all that and it's uncontrollable.

Traymar, chili367, 8paws and 23 others like this.
  3. Lorelei1

Lorelei1 Well-Known Member

Yes that’s true. I was just thinking maybe he never got over being rejected by the grade 9 girl and his anger and sick fantasies involving young teenage girls has been growing ever since. Maybe he blamed the girl’s mother at the time for having something to do with the breakup, who knows. His lawyer said on Wednesday that the reason for the abduction will be answered in time. I can’t imagine what possible reason there could be for what he did.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Kittybunny, MrsM, angelainwi and 5 others like this.
  4. gitana1

It doesn't matter though, whether he has a diagnosable condition. He can be totally psychotic and it wouldn't matter. Unless he had a mental defect that prevented him from either knowing what he was doing or knowing it was wrong.

That's really about it.

You can be crazy as you know what but as long as you know what you're doing - "I'm choking someone. Not squeezing a lemon." And you know it's wrong, the defense is defeated.

Traymar, chili367, MrsM and 26 others like this.
  5. Rubiconbob

Rubiconbob Well-Known Member

That’s great point. He coulda easily put everything into marines.. but being sloppy doesn’t mesh...with their structure.

That and whatever we find out about foster treatment : early childhood.

Always thought it was bizarre her cleaning ... your logic makes as Mose sense as any I’ve heard.

pepper 34 and MsBetsy like this.
  6. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean by not being able to use that particular mental disorder as a defense, but just to clarify all of the Personality Disorders are Mental Illnesses. Disorder is just the preferred term as opposed to "illness."
    But in terms of the legal definition of insanity, or knowing right from wrong, it would not apply.
    Most psychopaths know right from wrong, they just don't care. Imo

Lilibet, cody22, human and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rubiconbob

Rubiconbob Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone would buy insanity defense ever with him... if it turns out he was brutally treated in early childhood it doesn’t absolve him..... just adds more sadness to brutal case.

If he kills parents and kidnaps jayme to paint the inside of his house again and again, then I’d buy insanity...

I’d hope once he talks to parents there’s a breakthrough and it’s over.. 100 yrs in lock up.

crhedBngr, Lilibet, pepper 34 and 2 others like this.
  8. rogue ant

rogue ant Well-Known Member

Deleted by me, messed up quotes.

9. Breezie

Breezie Well-Known Member

Chicago Tribune: We all know the name Jayme Closs. Let's be responsible with it

Her astonishing abduction and its exhilarating end — Jayme alive, running free and quickly reunited with family after 88 days missing — has understandably captivated the nation’s attention.

So far, authorities have successfully balanced the public interest in justice with concern for the victim’s privacy.

8paws, Jim_M, FromGermany and 10 others like this.
  10. rogue ant

rogue ant Well-Known Member

I understand. However we are supposed to back up such statements with links to mainstream media or similarly reliable sources.

MsBetsy likes this.
  11. bronk4

bronk4 Well-Known Member

possibly ''part'' of it
    ....if you have wife/kids/etc they will keep you busy
    ...I just have barely enough time to eat, relax, and get ready for the next day if I want to get enough sleep--and this is after my kids are grown
    ..2 kids with 2 practices per week/2 games per weekend/other activities/etc = no time to be bored
    --but I think a lot of people do not get enough sleep and these youngsters [ killers ] will stay up late--so they have ''extra time''
    ...IMO, these type of criminals/serial killers fantasize-think about-plan-''rationalize'' --etc their crimes for days/weeks/months/years
    ....what ''normal'' people think is crazy, these criminals ''rationalize'' it to be normal/ok/workable
    ....humans will believe and rationalize the most outlandish things because they want-need them to be true
    bold for emphasis only

8paws, x_files, MsBetsy and 1 other person like this.
  12. pepper 34

pepper 34 Well-Known Member

My thoughts, almost exactly. They state the family gave the okay... but did Jayme give the okay to have these shirts printed up? I hope so.... after 88 days of having her own life choices set at zero (even being unable to decide when to use a bathroom!) I don't like the word play on her name as it seems, imo, to trivialize what she went through. Yes, she is an amazing and brave person, but she is also in a position of trying to re-claim her sense of self and normalcy and her own "place" in a very changed world where her parents no longer exist. Jayme is in mourning. I see no reason not to contribute to a legitimate bank fund set up in her name, but would dispense with anything that smacks of an emotionally charged "semi-celebration" where money is being collected "for her." Imo, this "party atmosphere" needs to tone down and disappear because it is doing nothing that will help Jayme recover.... just the opposite, imo.
    ETA It also bothers me because JAYME is the name her parents gave her... not Jamazing. But, Jayme.

13. bronk4

bronk4 Well-Known Member

sorry if it has been said but one of the MSM's headlines said this was '''like'' a horror story
    --no--it is a horror story

14. Investgator

Investgator Member

She will need counciling to help her with trama

8paws, KAE, pepper 34 and 1 other person like this.
  15. gitana1

Thanks!

Gotta love the defense attorneys trying desperately to find a way to make this a hard case to win.

Uh, no. No way did he suffer a three month delusion that told him he was doing the right thing. "I didn't plan well enough."

Traymar, MrsM, 8paws and 11 others like this.
  16. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

There's always unaccountable weirdness and anomalies in anything, including criminal cases and trials, but there is nothing in the information made public so far to suggest that this *** can't and won't be be held fully responsible for the crimes he committed, and everything to indicate that he will be.

By his own admission he carefully planned, over weeks, to murder and to kidnap a child. He then chose, day after day after day, for three months, to hold that child captive and to conceal her from whatever visitors he actually had (I suspect it was only his father, and on some, not every Saturday).

For that matter, he could have chosen to kill Jayme at any point during the interminable months he held her, but did not. His defense could try to spin the fact that he didn't as somehow mitigating, but the little Jayme told LE about her captivity suggests it was anything but, as does the ***'s confession, which suggests instead that he took sadistic pleasure in her terror, and in his belief that he wielded complete control over her.

Who cares what label can or may or will be slapped on, after the fact, at trial or elsewhere, to "explain" his motivation. No label or diagnosis will change the fact of his culpability, and IMO, none, no matter how expertly defined or argued, will be able to truly explain how he or anyone else is capable of such horrors, and of feeling remorseless afterwards.

8paws, Caylee Advocate, Jim_M and 5 others like this.
  17. bronk4

bronk4 Well-Known Member

humans make mistakes and forget things
    odd --yes--understandable--yes also

MsBetsy likes this.
  18. Investgator

Investgator Member

I prayed for jayme every day to find her

callyn, crhedBngr, abr and 5 others like this.
  19. bechk45

bechk45 Well-Known Member

I had the impression that defense CAN'T do anything so they were going to throw this out there to make it look like they tried.
    I mean, what can they do? It would be great if they just plead guilty and be done with it, but they have to at least look like the public defender didn't just throw in the towel and call him guilty too.

20. Julia966

Julia966 Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I don't feel like I do know the reasons he kidnapped and kept her. The obvious may be a big part of it, but I don't assume that, and I suspect there's more. Only long hours with a psychiatrist, if that were to ever happen, would tell us, IMO.

callyn, 1987, x_files and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.