Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the question would be why didn't he prepare a place to keep her? Ariel Castro boarded all the windows shut, and chained them to beds. This guy just stuffed her under a bed and put boxes around it. He planned every part of the crime in detail, except how to keep her from escaping.
humans make mistakes
even experts in their particular field forget things
---ie= pilots forget to drop their landing gear
---ie=serial killer Randy Kraft is driving around the freeways with dead bodies and what happens? the cops stop him when he has a dead body in the car

His applying for a job in Superior WI freaks me out.

Minong is 13 miles away and there are plenty of places to apply for jobs there . I believe Link makes their yummy jerky there along with other Link businesses, for instance.

Why is he driving so far away with a junker car?

There are lots of rural isolated roads between Superior and Gordon where he could go looking for another lonely victim. Since he has plenty of family in Superior, I bet he has done some scouting of those little highways from Gordon to Superior.

There is no way I will believe that he has not done other crimes. Burglary, window peeping, shoplifting.

I wonder if he stole from relatives or merely got handouts at family functions?

Thanks!

Gotta love the defense attorneys trying desperately to find a way to make this a hard case to win.

Uh, no. No way did he suffer a three month delusion that told him he was doing the right thing. "I didn't plan well enough."
I do a fair amount of criminal defense work. But, I have NO IDEA what i would do if this case landed on my desk. As a private practice attorney, I get to pick and choose my clients. But public defenders don't.

I had the impression that defense CAN'T do anything so they were going to throw this out there to make it look like they tried.
I mean, what can they do? It would be great if they just plead guilty and be done with it, but they have to at least look like the public defender didn't just throw in the towel and call him guilty too.

I'm talking about the pundits quoted in the article. They're stretching hard. I saw te same thing in the Watts family case. One dude kept going on and on about how he would get CW's confession thrown out and this was a winnable case, etc.
It's advertising I think.

I do a fair amount of criminal defense work. But, I have NO IDEA what i would do if this case landed on my desk. As a private practice attorney, I get to pick and choose my clients. But public defenders don't.

Me either. Probably just make sure they prove their case and due process is upheld. Have him assessed for mental issues even though it is improbable that he could use that as a defense but they have to do their due diligence. And it could be used as a mitigator at sentencing. (Although we all know it won't here. It's going to be LWOP if eligible in Wisconsin).

Then maybe try to work on a plea. Guilty to all and no Douglas County charges. That's the best I think they can do.

She will need counciling to help her with trama
I haven't read too
This describes a lot of people, unfortunately.

This serial killer passed boot camp though, and received an “other than honorable” discharge after serving two years.

Probably for minor offenses, or in lieu of a court martial.
I was in the USMC for 8 years --early 80s to 90
...we had 1 youngster that didn't want to be in, so he slacked around...finally they kicked him out
...another one was ''harassed''/etc by other Marines.....he was sent to get a psychiatric test and he got kicked out...I think he was in fact a little crazy
...we had a few that did some drugs, got Captain's Mast [ which is not a court martial ]...of these, some got kicked out, some screwed up again and then got kicked out
...most make it ok...but there are one or two who just don't/can't ''fit in'' to a regimented/discipline type of ''work''---they ''constantly'' can't do the ''right'' things
bold for emphasis only

1. Try in every way, no matter how desperate and far fetched, to get that confession ruled inadmissable.

2. Pounce on any and every inconsistency in testimonies, and any and every deviation from standard LE handling of evidence.

3. Try in any way, no matter how impossible, to "humanize" the through bottom of the barrel expert "mitigation" witnesses.

4. Make pie-in-the sky change of venue and voir dire demands in pre-trial motions, to lay the foundation for appeals based on denial of due-process.

5. Hope the -client pleads rather than insists on a trial, hope that if he doesn't, that the trial is short and that he doesn't decide to take the stand, thus blowing up whatever could be accomplished for him.

;)

Over the months, Jayme was in the hearts of many. The pictures of her with her mother when she was younger were so adorable.

Then to hear of her nightmares and then her incredible escape!

Right now the US is filled with bizarre things .

Jayme is a light of innocence and hope. We cannot help but be cheered and enthralled.

I imagine that he relatives are keeping her away from much of what is going on. I imagine they are in contact with Elizabeth Smart, for instance, on what is best for Jayme.

We have a need for something good and pure right now. She has touched so many . I know I am rejoicing not just for her but for humanity.

Jayme wanted to help the poor. Maybe some day she can understand how much her spirit lifted people.

Being a hero is a hard place to be.

It does say "Patterson was one of 34,581 people sent to Marine recruit training in 2015 and he was one of 2,295 discharged before graduation." Which means on average just under seven percent of those in training don't make it through. I am actually surprised it is that low.
I was in the Marines for 8 years
...it says he got ''booted'' out of BootCamp?
...I know for sure we had 1 kicked out of BootCamp from our platoon of about 70--he just said no, he wasn't going to do anymore
...2 or 3 were sent to the ''special'' platoon because they couldn't hack the physical demands
...when I got to my first duty station we had 2 kicked out--1 just didn't want to be there and slacked
..the other I believe was a little psycho
..we had about 2 more get kicked out for drugs

The killer was gone for 12 hours at Christmas. The relatives live 40 miles away in Superior.

What would he be doing at a family function for 10 hours? I do not believe he was there for ten hours.

Christmas is a great time for burglaries. I wonder if there were any in his range ? I bet there was some window peeping going on. Maybe he was scoping out a new victim.

But no way do I believe he was at a ten hour Christmas celebration

The great tragedy of our mental health system is that a person, child or adult, has to commit a crime before they are separated from society in any meaningful way. Insurance plans for mental illness offer in-patient care only if a person is a danger to himself or others. They stabilize with medications without getting to the root of a mental illness, often keeping the patient from a couple to 30 days. I'm sure there are exceptions but I haven't heard of them.
...IMO, --from my readings--I think a lot of times you can't tell if someone is a '''crazy''' serial killer/murderer/abductor and/or will be in the future
...the BTK serial killer was elected to the church council and was a Cub Scout leader
...they seem ''normal''
.....I don't know how many times I've read neighbors describing maniac killers as ''just a normal guy/friendly/nice/keeps to himself/etc'''

There's always unaccountable weirdness and anomalies in anything, including criminal cases and trials, but there is nothing in the information made public so far to suggest that this can't and won't be be held fully responsible for the crimes he committed, and everything to indicate that he will be.

By his own admission he carefully planned, over weeks, to murder and to kidnap a child. He then chose, day after day after day, for three months, to hold that child captive and to conceal her from whatever visitors he actually had (I suspect it was only his father, and on some, not every Saturday).

For that matter, he could have chosen to kill Jayme at any point during the interminable months he held her, but did not. His defense could try to spin the fact that he didn't as somehow mitigating, but the little Jayme told LE about her captivity suggests it was anything but, as does the 's confession, which suggests instead that he took sadistic pleasure in her terror, and in his belief that he wielded complete control over her.

Who cares what label can or may or will be slapped on, after the fact, at trial or elsewhere, to "explain" his motivation. No label or diagnosis will change the fact of his culpability, and IMO, none, no matter how expertly defined or argued, will be able to truly explain how he or anyone else is capable of such horrors, and of feeling remorseless afterwards.

I don't personally care what label or diagnosis might be slapped onto him, or if one is at all. I was just referring to what was said in the article and going from there. I don't like speculating about what horrors may have befallen Jayme while in captivity, but I like to be part of a group convo. The article, and speculating about what kind of defense might be put forth, just offered a topic of conversation. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I thought his actions should be excused for any reason.

Last edited:
I had the impression that defense CAN'T do anything so they were going to throw this out there to make it look like they tried.
I mean, what can they do? It would be great if they just plead guilty and be done with it, but they have to at least look like the public defender didn't just throw in the towel and call him guilty too.
Unfortunately these are the kind of cases where an attorney can make "a name for themselves". If they find any sort of crack that can get this case dismissed because of false evidence, coercion or any other thing like that, it can mean big money for them. I am not by any means saying this will definitely happen or that I agree with it, however, it happens. These high Profile cases also bring out private law firms offering to do the case Pro Bono just to get their names out there.

Last edited:
Is JP’s next appearance scheduled for Feb. 6th? Does anyone know what time & will it be televised?
TIA

Speaking for myself, I don't feel like I do know the reasons he kidnapped and kept her. The obvious may be a big part of it, but I don't assume that, and I suspect there's more. Only long hours with a psychiatrist, if that were to ever happen, would tell us, IMO.

Obviously his issues and motivations are quite complex. I should have said the "purpose" rather than why. We aren't naive on these boards. There has never been one case where a girl was kidnapped by a non-relative for other reasons that I can recall.

Is JP’s next appearance scheduled for Feb. 6th? Does anyone know what time & will it be televised?
TIA
I am wondering that too, about being televised. I believe that at some point they will move it out of Barron County for a trial and I have wondered if they will purposely move it to a location that does not allow cameras in the court room.

Unfortunately these are the kind of cases where an attorney can make "a name for themselves". If they find any sort of crack that can get this case dismissed because of false evidence, coercion or any other thing like that, it can mean big money for them. I am not by any means saying this will definitely happen or that I agree with it, however, it happens. These high Profile cases also bring out private law firms offering to do the case Pro Bono just to get their names out there.
can you name/link a few where a murderer confessed and the lawyer got him off?
ty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member