Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely considered this, but unfortunately with their open floor plan, their back door (the patio door) was in view of the front door, once James was down and Denise realized just how terrible the situation was. And their windows were above exit height. It's a great argument for a home design where there's a back door that is not in view from the front door. We still don't know where the basement stairs are, and whether they would have been in view from the front door, but it sounds like the bathroom door may have been.
Yeah, in most cases you can second guess the actions of the victims, and analyze what they did wrong.

A dog barked at a small home in a safe town.

The dad went to the locked front door in an effort to assess what was going on.

He never expected there to be an armed monster on the other side.

Even if he had a gun in his hands, he wouldn’t have had time to use it. He was dead long before that point.

James Closs did nothing wrong, his actions would have scared off almost any intruder.

It so happened that he wasn’t up against just any would-be intruder.

He was up against a madman on a mission.

He did the right thing, but sometimes that ain’t enough.

If someone knocks on my door late at night, I’m still going to do exactly the same thing James did.

That’s the high percentage play.

Impossible to know, of course, but I agree. Without a gun, he was a walking vulnerability -- someone w/out the backbone to stand up to any challenges life might mete out.

She was smart and brave, he felt a need to be but it took a gun, control, surprise, annihilating a family, etc. He will never have to apply for another job (relief probably) and probably never see another gun and not in his hands except on the hips of his guards... IF this is a guy who feels he is smarter or better, WRONG. SHE was smarter, assessing her situation, despite what he tried to do and his control.

Just having a moment of vent at him--I guess we do not know why he did what he did but still, we have enough facts that he knew right from wrong and killed cold bloodedly anyhow.

At 13 she is still a growing girl, I would imagine. Therefore, it might even be good to buy the next size up. She will have new clothes to grow into. JMO.

IMO every one of you is acting like Jayme's family! Sigh. With a big smile. ErinC (I think that's right) and many others (Sorry, I forget all your names) know about the butterflies. It really is quite refreshing to see how much everyone cares about our young heroine. Bolsters my faith in our continued humanity.

Now. I have a warning. As always, this is IMHO. We haves weeks. Possibly months. And, I shudder at the thought, we may experience years, before all of the legal processes are completed. This will depend on the guilty party. Who really looks, and sounds, smug about this entire horror story. My seat belt is fastened. Is yours? :)

Yeah, in most cases you can second guess the actions of the victims, and analyze what they did wrong.

Even if he had a gun in his hands, he wouldn’t have had time to use it. He was dead long before that point.

James Closs did nothing wrong, his actions would have scared off almost any intruder.

If someone knocks on my door late at night, I’m still going to do exactly the same thing James did.

Absolutely. JP is not the norm for late night door knocks. He's a rare bird.

Dirty old red car or some such leaving the area?

Sorry... not sure I follow what this question means, as a response to my message? I don't think I mentioned anything about the car in that particular message? Are you asking me a question or.. ?? What I was answering, in that message, was whoever said that he didn't confess to his actions toward JLC while he held her in Gordon. My reply was that, the CC for Barron wouldn't list his whole confession, only the parts relevent to the charges in Barron County.

I am often a bit on opposite sides of your posts

Um, ok. My posts would fit into 3 categories. 1) Sharing what I had read from MSM, 2) proposing logical possibilities (with which I often don't agree myself, but which are logically possible) and 3) occasionally sharing my opinion. Perhaps I should label them accordingly?
For example: Someone asked whether JTP could have simply reached in through the window in the door to unlock the door, rather than shooting the deadbolt. I don't know, whether he could have reached or not. Logical possibility: It seems like that wouldn't be a wise choice for him to make since it would leave his arm vulnerable to whatever/whoever was inside.

<modsnip: Do not discuss rumors>

Last edited by a moderator:
"Public defender Charlie Glynn tells The Associated Press it appears Patterson is starting the case "behind the eight-ball." Patterson's other public defender, Richard Jones, says investigators have complied 30 banker's boxes of evidence for the defense team to review, and that he's not sure Patterson will get a fair trial in Wisconsin.

Glynn says he doesn't know how Patterson will plead"

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...on-lawyers-warn-confession-may-hinder-defense

A fair trial? What does that mean? He killed two people.

LWOP. That is fair considering James and Denise are dead. Grrrrr

No argument from me. But I can say this: I have in the past/do now/and always will have a gun in my hand if I'm answering a knock/doorbell late at night. And this case changes how I will respond.

No argument from me. But I can say this: I have in the past/do now/and always will have a gun in my hand if I'm answering a knock/doorbell late at night. And this case changes how I will respond.
Nothing wrong with that!

In this particular case, I genuinely don’t believe that it would have made any difference.

James wasn’t going to fire first, not without knowing what was going on. He may have not even seen the gun that that JP was holding.

The same scenario plays out with a gun, as it does without one.

In the former, James Closs simply dies with a gun in his hand.

Something that bothers me -- not aimed at LE, but it is still troubling. When this crime was still fresh -- early in the reporting -- there were news articles quoting sources saying that the front door was shot in -- (riddled w/ bullets) -- and that DC had attempted to barricade herself in the bathroom. Those details were quickly called into question by LE, which said none of that was confirmed.

Obviously, someone leaked true facts early to the press and the family, and LE responded by shutting that down. JP gets busted and confirms damned near ever fact in those early media reports. This SOP?

Something that bothers me -- not aimed at LE, but it is still troubling. When this crime was still fresh -- early in the reporting -- there were news articles quoting sources saying that the front door was shot in -- (riddled w/ bullets) -- and that DC had attempted to barricade herself in the bathroom. Those details were quickly called into question by LE, which said none of that was confirmed.

Obviously, someone leaked true facts early to the press and the family, and LE responded by shutting that down. JP gets busted and confirms damned near ever fact in those early media reports. This SOP?
Yeah, I remember Radar Online had a article that at the very least, mentioned the barricaded bathroom door.

Law enforcement refused to confirm this, which is standard practice.

That would be information that they would always want to keep to themselves.

Nothing wrong with that!

In this particular case, I genuinely don’t believe that it would have made any difference.

James wasn’t going to fire first, not without knowing what was going on. He may have not even seen the gun that that JP was holding.

I think if anything should be learned from this situation. It would be not to answer the door, but find a safe spot, away from doors and windows, and keep your phone and firearm in hand. Wait and listen to what the person does.

I think the bottom line here is: no stranger should be knocking on your door in the middle of the night.

This should be a message to all of us to ramp up security around our homes.

packages from strangers seems like a huge risk to me. the man arrested isn't the only crazy person out there.

It does to me as well. I hope someone who has training in such matters are opening, sorting, and organizing for the family-and perhaps donating items that are not needed or appropriate. The intentions might be good, but this could be an extra stressor on the family at this moment in time.

Does anyone here recall a poster just before Jayme escaped who posted that there was chatter on SM or somewhere that the perp - or at least a suspect - had been ID'd and his initials were JP and a big break was coming? The poster discreetly buried the initials in a sentence, but bolded them, and mentioned there was a clue here. However, the mods quickly deleted the post, but not before a couple of WS members commented on it. I am wondering how the poster had this info ??? I am also wondering if the registrations for red Tauruses in WI were checked and one was traced to JP through his sister's registration before Jayme escaped. I just don't recall the details of the post.

That post was actually made after Jayme escaped but before the news reports with JP's name had been released. His name started floating around on social media many hours before we were allowed to discuss it here. Within just an hour or two of Jayme's escape, it was easy enough to find out his name. That poster hid his initials in their sentence by capitalizing them and saying something like "Just wait and have Patience." In all the confusion of this case, I can see why it might seem like they created that post before she escaped, but it was actually made after.

Young teens are pretty specific about their clothes choices. I don't imagine any of us could know what Jayme would like to wear. Seems to me that gift cards for major chains or Amazon would be good choices....for her age, maybe Target or WalMart. MOO

I agree. She was held in captivity for almost 3 months-3 months in which she had few, if any, choices about what she wore or ate or did. Gift cards, so that she could pick out her own things, sounds like a great idea.

Nothing wrong with that!

If Jayme had not been awakened by her barking dog and hadn't gone to her parents' room, I honestly think that JP would have simply broken into the house and killed the parents in their beds while they slept. I don't think there's anything they could've done differently in this case.

What a sweet idea. However I hope someone will screen the cards, because the crazies will come out of the woodwork. If you've been on any of the FB pages, you will know it is too scary to let the general public write to Jayme, uncensored.

The cards are screened by the group who set up the PO Box. Nothing will get anywhere near Jayme unless it’s ok. I know Jayme likely can’t read every single one, but I think it’s important that she sees that so many people care about her. I’m sure mean or weird stuff will go in the trash. I’m hoping they keep a list of all the states and countries that send cards to her, so she can see just how many people have been/are in her corner.

At 13 she is still a growing girl, I would imagine. Therefore, it might even be good to buy the next size up. She will have new clothes to grow into. JMO.

I'm many pages behind. This happens when you need to go to work & have to log out of our WS community. ;)

This has probably been suggested already: since Jayme has loving family & an outpouring of gifts already, I stopped in the store for a few girly items including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hair accessories, you get the idea, and dropped 'em off at our local food pantry. Jayme herself will never know, but another young teen in need has a few things that she didn't before.

JMHO YMMV

I'm many pages behind. This happens when you need to go to work & have to log out of our WS community. ;)

This has probably been suggested already: since Jayme has loving family & an outpouring of gifts already, I stopped in the store for a few girly items including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hair accessories, you get the idea, and dropped 'em off at our local food pantry. Jayme herself will never know, but another young teen in need has a few things that she didn't before.

JMHO YMMV

That is a wonderful idea! There are lots of people out there in need, especially this time of the year. After Christmas donations tend to die down and many food pantries and other local charities are scrambling to restock. You have just alleviated the worries of a local young girl who was in need of these things but didn't have a way of purchasing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member