Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lou Raguse‏Verified account @LouRaguse
I missed this on my initial reading of the complaint. Deputy Jon Fick noticed on the way to the residence, what he believed was an older maroon Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. He said it was the only eastbound vehicle he met. #JaymeCloss
1:01 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Patterson was driving an older, red Ford Taurus.
1:02 PM - 14 Jan 2019

So i guess the question is why the public wasn't asked to help find a red Taurus. Is that something they would keep close to the vest or did they overlook it?
1:03 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Circling back to this, authorities withheld that info because it was the best lead they had. They were trying to find a red Taurus owner and didn’t want him to know they had that info and get rid of it.
8:17 AM - 15 Jan 2019

OK, I'm going to give Sheriff Fitzgerald some leeway here regardless that he's not stated this publicly. :)
I can understand the why on the Taurus, I don't understand the other two cars of interest. did not understand the info on the two from the start. they seem created to me. I wondered if they needed a car for the amber alert so they came up with a couple of vage discriptions.

Last edited:
How would discussing child abductions with your kids prevent this type of crime. This young idiot basically went to a home in the middle of the night and murdered a teenagers parents.

You can’t prevent that no matter how hard you try.

True, but it opens the door to quality discussions about abductions with your children. IMO, that is a good thing.

I saw this post too. His name was being posted in the Daily Mail online article comment section before it was here.
OK, thanks for clarifying. So it was a timing issue. The name was released, thus, the poster here knew the initials AFTER Jayme's escape but BEFORE the info took hold on MSM and WS. I kept thinking it was before the actual escape.

Because I never want to criticize LE who have probably worked day and night to find Jayme, I'm reluctant to mention this. Remember the father who turned in his grown son, Paul Kenneth Keller, after the serial arsons in Seattle years ago? He saw a sketch in the paper and read the FBI's profile and, after much prayer called to tell the police it could be his son. It was. I wonder what might have happened if JP's old red Taurus had been described in the media and his father/brother/mother had a hunch it could be their troubled family member. MOO

I think the Taurus may have been dismissed (as much as I hate to say this) because he was smarter than most murderers/kidnappers/burglars would be. He didn't speed away to make his escape, he calmly pulled over as the law requires when he met LE with their lights flashing. I imagine that detective never even gave it a second thought until he saw/heard the car JP was driving. At that point, he probably thought/said, "Jeez, I saw that car on the way to the house that night!" - but probably not "Jeez" MOO

And I wonder really how busy that road was on a Sunday night and how many vehicles were going in opposite direction past them. It sounds like this one was the only one, as that alert officer noticed it and took note of it. I think they should've asked the public to look out for that vehicle and report in.
Exactly. If they were willing to give the public info about the Challenger and the black SUV, there’s no reason not to give the public info about the Taurus. (It’s not as though LE knew which, if any, of the three vehicles belonged to the killer. Not at all. It could’ve been one of them or none of them.) IMO, LE didn’t provide info about the Taurus NOT because they thought it was the suspect’s vehicle (and worried about keeping JC safe), but because they dismissed it as the suspect’s vehicle. Nothing else (in my mind) explains their actions. I’m sure they worked hard to solve this case. But, by their own admission, they were not even close. Had JP handcuffed JC to the bed or even killed her and disposed of the body, he might’ve gotten away scot-free. Kind of frightening, isn’t it?

I missed this on my initial reading of the complaint. Deputy Jon Fick noticed on the way to the residence, what he believed was an older maroon Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. He said it was the only eastbound vehicle he met. #JaymeCloss
1:01 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Patterson was driving an older, red Ford Taurus.
1:02 PM - 14 Jan 2019

So i guess the question is why the public wasn't asked to help find a red Taurus. Is that something they would keep close to the vest or did they overlook it?
1:03 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Circling back to this, authorities withheld that info because it was the best lead they had. They were trying to find a red Taurus owner and didn’t want him to know they had that info and get rid of it.
8:17 AM - 15 Jan 2019

OK, I'm going to give Sheriff Fitzgerald some leeway here regardless that he's not stated this publicly. :)
Ok, this addresses my concern. I was under the impression that the Taurus wasn’t on their radar, but it appears it was.

I can live with them not publicizing it, in light of the fact that they were pursuing it.

That’s what matters.

I think the Taurus may have been dismissed (as much as I hate to say this) because he was smarter than most murderers/kidnappers/burglars would be. He didn't speed away to make his escape, he calmly pulled over as the law requires when he met LE with their lights flashing. I imagine that detective never even gave it a second thought until he saw/heard the car JP was driving. At that point, he probably thought/said, "Jeez, I saw that car on the way to the house that night!" - but probably not "Jeez" MOO
Yet I would think they would have been suspicious after the driver didn't call into the tipline to say he was in the area at that time. That would have pretty much narrowed it down. I wonder why they kept it quiet. Imo

So a deputy who was first on the scene of a double homicide and kidnapping only remembered the only car that was seen - and just 20 seconds from the scene - in three month hindsight? There’s zero chance that happened.

To me it would seem a process of elimination. You would have all the DMV resources at your disposal. How many old Tauruses could there be in WI? The deputy specified Taurus, and even described the front black license plate frame. They should have been all over this car. It was the best lead they had. And I can't think of one reason this shouldn't have been the Amber Alert car.

1) A LOT
2) "an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle." (BBM)
3) They probably all come with a license plate frame.

1) A LOT
2) "an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle." (BBM)
3) They probably all come with a license plate frame.
So you start with Barron and the surrounding counties. Search for the first impression of the deputy - red or maroon Ford Taurus, older model. Now you have a working list. As for the license plate frame, you can narrow from there with surveillance to ones without a license plate in the frame. But hey, I’m not trying to tell anyone how to do their job. Just thinking out loud.

Is there a direct quote from LE to support this statement (Lou Raguse’s)? Fitzgerald had a different explanation at his PC.

Barron County sheriff: Not enough information to pull over Jake Patterson, search for car
No. They have conveyed a very different account here.

This reporter seems to be well connected, and he appears to have had similar concerns (based on his previous Tweets).

He obviously spoke to someone close to the investigation, who told him that they were in fact looking for the owner of this vehicle.

So law enforcement has publicly said one thing, but this reporter has heard something different.

We’ll have to wait for clarification, but what this reporter is saying, seems to ring true. Atleast for me.

Couldn’t LE put a helicopter in the air to track the Taurus?
It would have been way too late at that point.

It took law enforcement some time to realize what they were dealing with, and didn’t know for sure if that car was involved.

By the time they requested a helicopter, that car would have been lost, if it wasn’t already at JP’s place.

So a deputy who was first on the scene of a double homicide and kidnapping only remembered the only car that was seen - and just 20 seconds from the scene - in three month hindsight? There’s zero chance that happened.
I disagree, I think there's at least a 0.1% chance of it happening. At the time that he saw the car, he was responding to a 911 hang up call, what he saw when he got there could have wiped that 2 second memory out of his mind until the arrest triggered it. MOO

It would have been way too late at that point.

It took law enforcement some time to realize what they were dealing with, and didn’t know for sure if that car was involved.

By the time they requested a helicopter, that car would have been lost, if it wasn’t already at JP’s place.
I’d have been satisfied if there was at least a BOLO issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail