Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

Family stated on FB that they do not approve of the inclusion of Jayce's story in the upcoming Documentary. Focused on recovery and hopes media will step back.

I think Lifetime could also wait until after sentencing, however, that is just my very own opinion. I am in awe of Elizabeth Smart and always have been, what she went through but more so what she went on to do is amazing. Lifetime on the other hand, I quit watching years ago for reasons I don't need to go into here but it does relate to women and children as victims.

I think Lifetime could also wait until after sentencing, however, that is just my very own opinion. I am in awe of Elizabeth Smart and always have been, what she went through but more so what she went on to do is amazing. Lifetime on the other hand, I quit watching years ago for reasons I don't need to go into here but it does relate to women and children as victims.
I am still shocked that elizabeth would participate in something like this against the family’s wishes. She for sure wouldn’t have wanted that done on her case. I just don’t understand.

Family stated on FB that they do not approve of the inclusion of Jayce's story in the upcoming Documentary. Focused on recovery and hopes media will step back.

I don’t blame them but just wait till a Hollywood movie is made, the Lifetime movie, not forgetting the inevitable Investigation Discovery episode and last but not least the numerous books.

National TV documentary on Jayme Closs promises 'exclusive interviews' and 'new details'

Article states new details and interviews.

JC is not a participant.

Round table discussion of six former victims (Gina DeJesus, Katie Beers, Kara Robinson Chamberlin, Alicia Kozakiewicz, Denise Huskins and Sarah Maynard).

90 minutes.

It seems to me this was already in the works when Elizabeth Smart traveled to Barron, and spoke with the local community.

A+E Networks
[...]
Following 2018’s highly rated film detailing the untold story of Elizabeth Smart, Lifetime partners with the victim’s advocate for a newly greenlit documentary, Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case. The 90-minute special, set to premiere Saturday, April 27th at 8pm ET/PT, features Elizabeth Smart’s exclusive interviews with key players in Jayme’s harrowing case and incredible rescue. Elizabeth also brings together six other well-known victims of abduction for a roundtable discussion to help tell Jayme’s story.

Lifetime has also ordered the documentary special From Darkness to Light from in-house production division A+E Originals and Emmy winner Leah Remini’s No Seriously Productions. Three-time gold medalist Aly Raisman will executive produce alongside Remini. In From Darkness to Light, Raisman provides a platform to other victims of sexual assault and highlights their compelling journeys as survivors.

“Lifetime has proven it’s as brand that believes in and stands behind the power and courage of female voices,” said Gena McCarthy, EVP, Head of Programming, Lifetime Unscripted and Head of Programming FYI. “We’re blown away by the fearless strength Elizabeth, Aly and Leah all embody – they inspire us, and prove you can never underestimate the power of a woman.”
[...]

Last edited:
I am still shocked that elizabeth would participate in something like this against the family’s wishes. She for sure wouldn’t have wanted that done on her case. I just don’t understand.

I don't know. We are all impressed with her, I am in awe of her but must admit I have no idea why she would go against that. As you state, it is pretty clear she would not have wanted the same in her own case so one would think she would respect that. We could I guess let Lifetime, A & E and/or Elizabeth know how we feel on behalf of JC, not that it would likely do much good--if they have not listened to the family, not sure they would listen to anyone else. Maybe if they heard from enough people...

It seems nothing more than further abuse to take the story of someone who went through such a tragedy and abduction and tell it when the victim and her family do not want it told. I guess viewership and $$$ outweigh the support of the women and in this case a minor aged female that they claim is their very purpose.

Sadly, they will not be the first ones nor the last.

jmo.

I don't know. We are all impressed with her, I am in awe of her but must admit I have no idea why she would go against that. As you state, it is pretty clear she would not have wanted the same in her own case so one would think she would respect that. We could I guess let Lifetime, A & E and/or Elizabeth know how we feel on behalf of JC, not that it would likely do much good--if they have not listened to the family, not sure they would listen to anyone else. Maybe if they heard from enough people...

It seems nothing more than further abuse to take the story of someone who went through such a tragedy and abduction and tell it when the victim and her family do not want it told. I guess viewership and $$$ outweigh the support of the women and in this case a minor aged female that they claim is their very purpose.

jmo.
Especially since it is not Elizabeth's (or anyone else's) story to tell, other than Jayme herself, some day, when she so chooses.

I'm pretty shocked as well DHR. In reading the article, it says:

"The documentary also includes Smart moderating a discussion with six other noted victims of abduction — Gina DeJesus, Katie Beers, Kara Robinson Chamberlin, Alicia Kozakiewicz, Denise Huskins and Sarah Maynard."

These are all victims that are much older and have had time and an opportunity to grieve and recover from their ordeal. Jayme has not and if she did not willingly participate, which her Aunt J says she did not, than I'm very disappointed that they would air coverage specific to her case.

I know we can't stop the media and TV/movie industries from capitalizing on this, but it just seems wrong to me this soon after her abduction if Jayme herself hasn't consented. :(

jmo.

"The documentary also includes Smart moderating a discussion with six other noted victims of abduction — Gina DeJesus, Katie Beers, Kara Robinson Chamberlin, Alicia Kozakiewicz, Denise Huskins and Sarah Maynard."

These are all victims that are much older and have had time and an opportunity to grieve and recover from their ordeal. Jayme has not and if she did not willingly participate, which her Aunt J says she did not, than I'm very disappointed that they would air coverage specific to her case.

I know we can't stop the media and TV/movie industries from capitalizing on this, but it just seems wrong to me this soon after her abduction if Jayme herself hasn't consented. :(

What really bugs me is that none of these survivors experienced anything near what Jayme did. I'm not minimizing their collectives horror stories, but did any of them lose their parents to murder? That happened in front of this MINOR child's eyes?!

There has been no consideration to the Closs' family's nightmare. That is shameful.

What really bugs me is that none of these survivors experienced anything near what Jayme did. I'm not minimizing their collectives horror stories, but did any of them lose their parents to murder? That happened in front of this MINOR child's eyes?!

There has been no consideration to the Closs' family's nightmare. That is shameful.

Great point and her youth and their age is another. I am actually somewhat surprised they can do this with regard to a minor. Minor's names are protected in so many other ways, look at the SP case, no name used any longer; it is done on here as well. Hollywood can do so and use a minor's name and story but courts do not even do so?

Especially since it is not Elizabeth's (or anyone else's) story to tell, other than Jayme herself, some day, when she so chooses.

ITA.

This is waaaaaay too much and too soon for Jayme to process.

I can't begin to imagine what Jayme is going through - second by second - every day. No matter where she turns, no matter what she does, even if she finds solace in some things, this nightmare will follow her the rest of her days.

I would think she just wants peace right now.

Maybe some day she'll want to tell her story. If so, the time and place needs to be on her terms.

JMVHO.

APR 2, 2019
Celebration and benefit honoring Jayme Closs to be held in Barron
Capture103.JPG

A celebration with food and music commemorating the safe return of Barron teen, Jayme Closs will be held the first Saturday of May.

The event will also be a benefit for Bob and Jennifer Smith, Jayme’s relatives.

The benefit proceeds will go to the family for general expenses and to help accommodate Jayme.

It will be held May 4th from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. at Barron High School Commons Gym.

Food will be served from 11 A.M. to 2 P.M. Spaghetti, Breadsticks, Coleslaw, cookies and beverages are on the menu.

There will be a short program at 2 P.M. in the gym with a live auction to follow.

[...]

I agree. It doesn't make sense. I've followed Elizabeth's advocacy work closely and it doesn't fit with anything she has said. In her newest book "Where There Is Hope" she discussed how incredibly hurt and betrayed she was when her Uncle wrote that book on her case in 2005. She did not speak with him for a few years. She has talked about how awful she felt hearing some of the questions and comments about her on television. I believe she even said this would be Jayme's story to tell when she is ready. I am hoping there was some lack of communication between her and Lifetime. Money doesn't make sense either, when I assume she makes plenty from speaking and her books, among other things.

I hope they pull this special.

Thoughtful intentions on Mrs Smart but come on.
I agree with most, let it go. Seems like a way for some to make money or a power trip.

If Jayme wants to “come out” at some point in her life and bring everything up, she reserves that right

Kind of pisses Me off to be honest.

'Bye, Jayme': Jake Patterson's path to convictions in the Jayme Closs case was unusual

A couple different perspectives on why JP plead guilty and his continuing attraction to JC.

From the above link:

““I see this as his way of telling her and her family that they are still in danger, that he has not forgotten about them,” she said. “It’s another way of saying ‘I am still here, you are not free of me.’”

“One of the most important aspects to keep in mind about this particular crime is that he is proud of what he did. He wants to be seen as tough, powerful and scary,” Sarteschi said.“

I believe Elizabeth Smart is under some sort of contract with Life time to work on this woman’s empowerment type series. Which Is why it’s called “Smart Justice”. I’m thinking she went to Barron to try to get them involved in the documentary along with giving her speech. So while I think lifetime may of said she’s doing it as part of her job. I think they could of went a different way with this. They could of spoken about it in away that didn’t try to tell HER story , no one knows JC exact story they didn’t live it. But I agree it’s in poor taste since this doc series does carry Smarts name I feel she could of activated against doing it this .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back