Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by JerseyGirl, Oct 15, 2018.

1. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

The Latest: Jayme Closs wants kidnapper 'locked up forever'
    BARRON, Wis. (AP) — The latest on the sentencing hearing for a Wisconsin man accused of kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents (all times local):

2:10 p.m.

Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs says she wants to see the man who kidnapped her and killed her parents “locked up forever.”

Jayme’s words were read Friday at the sentencing hearing for Jake Patterson. The 21-year-old admitted kidnapping her and killing her parents in a carefully planned attack last October.

The 13-year-old didn’t appear in court Friday, but her guardian read a statement from her.

Jayme wrote that Patterson “thought that he could own me, but he’s wrong. I was smarter.”

Patterson held Jayme for 88 days at his isolated northern Wisconsin cabin before she escaped.

She says Patterson “thought he could make me like him. But he was wrong.” She also said Patterson “will never have any power over me.:”

[...]

2. Scrapper18

Scrapper18 Well-Known Member

Thank you to all who are watching and transcribing. My kids are out of school and I won’t turn this on with them present. I appreciate you guys!

Now waiting to hear the judge say life with no possibility of parole.

3. Saribella

Saribella Well-Known Member

So it took wearing glasses that made JTP snap?

Um, what?

4. Peppery

Peppery Well-Known Member

He got glasses. Yes, that’s a great excuse.

MeadowMuffin, MrsM, JudgeJoe and 8 others like this.
  5. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

OK - JP went wrong because he had to wear glasses.

Did I hear that correctly?!!

6. Scrapper18

Scrapper18 Well-Known Member

Uhm... if glasses were a reason to snap, humanity would be annihilated.

7. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

OMG. JTP had to wore glasses and that lead to him isolating himself from society! o_O

Everyone I know wears glasses or contacts and none of them isolated themselves and became violent homicidal abductors! :rolleyes:

8. Saribella

You heard that correct.

MeadowMuffin, JudgeJoe, human and 6 others like this.
  9. thesensitivechild

thesensitivechild Well-Known Member

oh boo hoo poor Jake

You said they said he had no mental health issues- um he wore glasses and got emotional and it made him so sad, he isolated, he had all sort of weird social issues, depersonalization, overall his glasses clearly explain his... okay Jones is now confused himself. He sounds so confused.

um that sort of contradicts the lack of personality disorder diagnosis the defense was able to argue (which subsequently ended up being used by the judge to argue why he wasn’t a good candidate for rehabilitation, no diagnosis).

for claiming he has no mental diagnosis... now they are arguing he needs mental health services. I am confused

This Jones guy just undermined his partner's statement. So uncomfortable...

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  10. Saribella

I had worse things that happened in my teenage years and I didn't kill anyone's mom and dad.

11. Saribella

I swear this defense attorney talks more about his colleague than he does himself.

12. PommyMommy

Charley had knee surgery :confused:

13. Yesiamapirate

Yesiamapirate Well-Known Member

Every time this lawyer says something my mind answers “ who cares”!

Mo Thuairim, MrsM, human and 3 others like this.
  14. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

JP is entitled to sentence credit for the 134 days he's served in jail..... stop already. :eek:

15. PommyMommy

In her own words at sentencing, Jayme Closs brands her abductor a coward
    Jayme Closs on Friday urged a judge to deliver a sentence of life in prison for Jake Patterson, the young man who killed her parents in their western Wisconsin home before abducting the 13-year-old and holding her captive for nearly three months until her escape.

"I felt like what he did was what a coward would do," were Closs' words to Judge James Babler, which were read by a court representative sitting only a few feet from Patterson in the otherwise still Barron County courtroom. "I was brave, and he was not."

[...]

"Last October, Jake Patterson took a lot of things that I love away from me," were Jayme's words, read by attorney Chris Gramstrup. "It makes me the most sad that he took away my mom and my dad. I loved my mom and dad very much and they love me very much.

"They did all they could to make me happy and protect me. He took them away from me forever. I felt safe in my room, and I loved my room and all of my belongings; he took all of that too. I don't want to see that stuff or the memory of that night."

Jayme added that to this day, going out in public makes her afraid and anxious.

"But there are some things that Jake Patterson can't take away," her statement declared. "He can't own me."

Speaking to how she fled her captor when the opportunity came, Jayme explained to the court, "I was smarter. I watched his routine, and I took back my freedom.

"I will always have my freedom, and he will not. Jake Patterson could not take away my courage. He will never own me."

[...]

Among a few new details disclosed about Jayme's captivity, Wright revealed that Patterson yelled and threatened the teen if she failed to follow his rules and at times hit her with a curtain rod.

"With each step she took to escape," Wright said, "the terror of not knowing where he was got more and more intense. Was he in the house just standing outside the door? Would he find her as she was walking down the driveway? Would he find her as she was walking down the road?"

[...]

Sue Allard, Jayme's aunt, began by recalling the "worst phone call" that she could receive when authorities told her that her sister, Denise Closs, was dead and niece Jayme abducted.

"I was hoping I was just waking up from a nightmare," Allard said, wrapping up her statement by urging the judge to give Patterson the maximum sentence possible on each count.

Another aunt, Jennifer Smith, addressed Patterson directly, saying, "It hurts so bad. We no longer get to make memories with them. Jayme no longer has a normal 13-year-old's life."

Smith also asked the judge to give Patterson a lifetime in prison to "pay for all the evil you have done."

[...]

16. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Ain’t the Ones Beneath the Bed

“The glasses defense,” shows how desperate they are. Points for trying.

Has a nice ring to it though.

So does “life without parole.”

Doghairrules, Niner, kimpage and 20 others like this.
  17. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

This defense attorney has jumped the shark and just needs to stop talking IMHO.

18. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

If I hear the defense utter one more word about knee surgury & Charlie’s mother’s funeral I think I will scream. I realize their job is to grasp at straws, but REALLLLLLY?!

19. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

And let's not forget he is not going to pay any penalty for the 88 days. IMO.

Doghairrules, MemPat, human and 6 others like this.
  20. justaparent

justaparent Well-Known Member

I wonder how many doctors the defense went through before they found someone to give them the type of statements they wanted to use. Poor Jake, poor poor Jake.

I feel sorry for the defense attorneys because they have to do this, but they’re droning on and pulling in personal things that should be left alone just for something to say. Give me a break. It’s time to give it a rest.

JMO

21. thesensitivechild

thesensitivechild Well-Known Member

LOLOLDSLADXSDMOOVDS LOLOLOLOLOL

"it's been a tough case"
    - defense Jones talking about his partner having knee surgery and then the partner’s mother passing recently.