AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you participated in a search similar to this one? If so, can you share what it is like? Do the LE usually provide specific things to look for? Is the search usually broken into groups with leaders for each group? How do searchers decide whether a found item is worth the time of the LE; for instance, will searchers have to call in any piece of trash no matter how small? Basically, how does this all work?

And also, do they typically give any sort of statement about the possibility of coming across a body or perpetrator?

LIVE: Volunteers in Barron County searching for clues in the Jayme Closs case Tuesday

LIVE: Aerial views of volunteers in Barron County searching for clues in the Jayme Closs case Tuesday

Or click here to watch: facebook.com/89174607059/videos/363692487703296
It's surreal. Like when the War in Iraq (first one/maybe second one) started live on tv. This feels like a movie and kind of weird that we can watch while searchers are actively looking for murderers' evidence and potentially a body. I do appreciate it...and those who are helping.

The two teens were driving a blue pickup truck. It was long after the police arrived, 2am.
Thanks. I didn't remember what time that was. I assume by then they knew Jayme was missing?

I have personal cameras around the exterior of my house...they would look identical at night on my video. It's basically night vision, so you can't see fine detailing, especially when things are moving
I have a couple trail cams along the back woods line. Because of the MT and now JC crimes am looking into getting a good quality camera for alongside the road. 02501400.JPG 16453800.JPG

The police have asked for every tip no matter how small, even a half eaten McDonalds burger on the ground to be called in. I wouldn’t be ridiculing a well intentioned tip. If it’s nothing, it’s nothing. When 2 people are dead and a child is missing how could any owner of a car called in be upset?

They would be upset because even after they were cleared they would be given the hairy eyebrow so to say from people in the community...maybe

Two mystery teens? What? Where did this come from?
In the police log it stated that two girls (the police know them, but one is a juvenile so her name is just initials in the report) were "advised" to stop driving by at 2am. One of the girls was 21, the other was 17, so it sounded like they may have known the family and were curious.

I would be a good assumption that all the bedrooms were upstairs then. Maybe there was only 1 on the first floor. I know some houses like that.
The house is a ranch, which means one story above ground. There likely is a partial basement (partial because the garage goes under the house taking up space), An “upstairs” bathroom would be on the main level and downstairs in the basement).

I’ve wondered if the basement was finished and if maybe Jayme’s bedroom was downstairs. That might explain why Mom was barricaded in bathroom without her.

Sorry for quoting multiple posts but I can't catch up this morning:

This has been gnawing at me; if the dad’s body is in the front doorway it stands to reason that the killer and JC would have had to exit another door....Rather than climb over the body and risk leaving footprints in blood, etc

So was the killer familiar with the home enough to just FIND another way out? What door did they take? I’m not familiar enough w the floor plan of the house to know if u can exit the lower level garage without opening the large garage door(ie a side door).
Out in rural Wisconsin, especially in an area this dark, I know most people have some sort of motion light by their garage or patio doors, is that the case here? Bc a car pulling into the driveway would signal that motion light drawing attention to a car especially when they first pulled in or walked up to the front door.
If they fled on foot would they have exited thru a diff door straight into the woods?

There is a sliding door on the side deck that they could have used to exit. There were photos posted either in this thread or the previous one.

ETA: My bad it was thread 7 (gosh this discussion moves fast!), see post by Jethro here for a photo: AMBER ALERT - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #7

Great catch, EJB123456 & Dum-Dum Sucker!

From the AB Show 10/22 CNN.com - Transcripts (bbm) :

BANFIELD: Well, sheriff, it sounds like such a confounding story. And just over the weekend, we were reading through the logs of the 911 call and the response to the Closs home and it`s quite harrowing. And I think the transcripts really sort of tell a narrative of what happened in that home prior to Jayme being taken. Can you walk me through, now that it`s public knowledge, what those first responding officers saw at the front door and beyond?

FITZGERALD: Well, in some degree, I can. And again, the logs that we released aren`t always the evidence that`s collected at the scene. They`re the first initial appearance that an officer goes through. But yeah, our -- the initial appearance with an officer were obviously some kind of commotion, as you stated, last week in the show. Our officers responded, pulled into the driveway, and saw an open door and then saw what they believed to be feet. And then responded up there and found the bodies of James Closs and then went in the house and found Denise Closs.

BANFIELD: How far -- how far -- yeah, how far in the house was Denise Closs? If James Closs was found at the door, and as you just mentioned, I think that`s the first I`ve heard of this, sir, that when you`re officers responded, they could see his feet from the driveway sticking out of the open door of the home. Is that correct?

FITZGERALD: I don`t know exactly where they -- when they picked him up on site. I don`t know if they pulled in the driveway or when they exactly saw them, but the door was ajar. And I can`t comment on where Denise was found in the house. But I think going to any scene like that, that`s what we train our officers to do is their first initial observations and that`s why that`s collected in that call log.

I'm really surprised about the door being "ajar" but it makes sense. @MassGuy was talking about how if they "kicked in the door" it would still be on the hinges.
Putting together this new info of his feet being in the doorway and the door being ajar... Along with family saying they "shot in the door", our knowledge that this door had a small window, and first LEO on scene thought it may have been suicide at first glance...
I wonder if this is what happened (speculation): James came to the door and looked out the window--he is tall and has to duck a little to look out it. Perp shot him in the head through the window in the door (1st shot heard). Force of gunshot pushes James backward to the floor. Perp then shot at the lock (2nd shot heard) and kicked the door open but it remains on it's hinges. James' legs that had been bent in order to look out window naturally fall out the open door so his feet stick out. Perp steps over body to get in house. Other gunshots killing Denise were not heard because they were inside the house. Speculation only.

That photo of Jayme standing on the porch...yesterday, someone posted the Facebook page where this was first posted. It was the Power Washing company that did work on her house. The photo was posted on something like June 15, 2016. If you look at photos the page posted on June 16 (the next day), I think it is showing the back of their house. It looks like there is a rear door that would connect to the basement. This thread moves so fast that I can't find this post, nor can I remember the name of the power washing company. The discussion was yesterday and was around spending money on power washing/painting their house.

Good catch. I'll see if I can find it.

Here is the front of the house with Jayme: Sikora Prime Painting and Washing, LLC
Before and after shots of house: Sikora Prime Painting and Washing, LLC
Sikora Prime Painting and Washing, LLC
Ok, the next photo at above links I think is a different house. It doesn't look like the back of their house in my opinion. I'm not going to link the "back shot" because I don't want to get in trouble for linking a different house, but if anyone wants to see it just use the arrows on the above links.

Here is a screenshot from Whiskers16's timeline on page 1 and shows the back of their house:
houseoverhead-12-jpg.152437

am I understanding correctly.....a company that was used for a service to the home took pics of the front with the child and then the back and posted them publicly? so anyone could look and see the outside lay out of the home and entrances and know a child lived there?

Yes, creepy. Anyone could see it. It was 2 years ago so not sure how relevant it is now.

Last edited:
The house is a ranch, which means one story above ground. Their likely is a partial basement (partial because the garage goes under the house), An “upstairs” bathroom would be on the main level (and downstairs in the basement).

I’ve wondered if the basement was finished and if maybe Jayme’s bedroom was downstairs. That might explain why Mom was barricaded in bathroom without her.

Could be her bedroom was down there. I know when I was that age I fought with my brother who would get their room in the basement. I always lost lol

The house is a ranch, which means one story above ground. Their likely is a partial basement (partial because the garage goes under the house), An “upstairs” bathroom would be on the main level (and downstairs in the basement).

I had wondered if mom heard the commotion and the intruder was somehow blocking her ability to get to Jayme so she entered the bathroom with her phone hoping to be able to get some help.

Sorry for quoting multiple posts but I can't catch up this morning:

There is a sliding door on the side deck that they could have used to exit. There were photos posted either in this thread or the previous one.

I'm really surprised about the door being "ajar" but it makes sense. @MassGuy was talking about how if they "kicked in the door" it would still be on the hinges.
Putting together this new info of his feet being in the doorway and the door being ajar... Along with family saying they "shot in the door", our knowledge that this door had a small window, and first LEO on scene thought it may have been suicide at first glance...
I wonder if this is what happened (speculation): James came to the door and looked out the window--he is tall and has to duck a little to look out it. Perp shot him in the head through the window in the door (1st shot heard). Force of gunshot pushes James backward to the floor. Perp then shot at the lock (2nd shot heard) and kicked the door open but it remains on it's hinges. James' legs that had been bent in order to look out window naturally fall out the open door so his feet stick out. Perp steps over body to get in house. Other gunshots killing Denise were not heard because they were inside the house. Speculation only.

Good catch. I'll see if I can find it.

Here is the front of the house with Jayme: Sikora Prime Painting and Washing, LLC
Before and after shots of house: Sikora Prime Painting and Washing, LLC
Sikora Prime Painting and Washing, LLC
Ok, the next photo at above links I think is a different house. It doesn't look like the back of their house in my opinion. I'm not going to link the "back shot" because I don't want to get in trouble for linking a different house, but if anyone wants to see it just use the arrows on the above links.

Yes, creepy. Anyone could see it. It was 2 years ago so not sure how relevant it is now.
Is it possible that dad stepped out and held the glass door and was shot, falling inside the house?

I cannot find the transcript online (though someone else posted a snippet). Source is:
Ashleigh Banfield's phone interview with Sheriff Fitzgerald, 10/22

And I listened to it and did *not* take away that he was for sure barefoot, only that they saw feet due to an ajar door as they approached. It pretty much solidifies for me though that he was shot right there at the door on approach.

The fact that they saw the feet first tells me that he was shot from outside. If he were running to the door and was shot from behind (like if he were running toward the door to get away from someone already in the house) he would fall forward toward the door, so they would have seen the upper part of his body first. Being shot from someone outside would cause him to fall backward which means the feet would be seen first by officers arriving in the front of the house.

I've gotten the sense that this is what most were thinking anyways, but the feet being seen first would all but confirm it for me as well.

The house is a ranch, which means one story above ground. There likely is a partial basement (partial because the garage goes under the house taking up space), An “upstairs” bathroom would be on the main level and downstairs in the basement).

BBM
I have not read this or heard this. Please let me know where this came from. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle