AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking some more about the circumstances that happened that night.

After further thought I now believe the suspect was laying in wait hidden outside somewhere near the home.

Imo they watched the home out of sight until he saw the house go dark.

After then he waited long enough for them to go to sleep. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes.

Then he approached the door knowing it would catch them all by surprise with no way to prepare themselves for what was to come.

Imo

I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this - but it seems like we know so very little in this case that so many of the scenarios (and kudos to everyone for keeping this alive and trying) are conflicting. We know so very few actual, verified facts right now that the possibilities are almost endless. I've got my fingers crossed that this means LE knows a lot more than what they're sharing...but I also have some doubts since they seem to keep asking the public for help. I can only assume that they're close, and not releasing information for specific reasons. Still following along every day, but until I get more information I feel that putting things down on paper/in print feels a little like an exercise in futility. IMO/JMO/MOO etc.

What I feel confident we know:

-Jayme's parents are dead, both shot
-Jayme is missing

Beyond that...specific to the case, very little. The timeline seems questionable. We know little more about the first point: how many guns were used? Where were they shot - front/back? I'm taking that to mean that they're working on things diligently, and to be fair, keeping the internet/public at large informed on all the details they have is probably pretty low on their list, if it's on there at all.

Keep the ideas coming! It will be interesting to see what conjecture ends up being right/wrong when they find Jayme (holding out for alive yet!).

I know this is way out in left field, but that never stops me from embarrassing myself by sharing my thoughts. What if the guy wasn't planning any of what happened to begin with. Is it possible that someone on some heavy drugs (or alcohol) was going through the vehicles looking for something to steal and found a hunting rifle or shotgun in the truck. Mollie starts barking and growling because she hears him out there, and Dad goes to check it out. The guy is close to the house at the time, and even after turning on the exterior light, Dad doesn't see him. Thinking there's a bear, raccoon or something out there, Dad opens the door and shoots in the air to scare it off. That startles the thief who was fairly close to the door and wasn't thinking clearly, so he opens the screen door and shoots through the inside door to retaliate. He hears Dad fall to the floor and forces the door open. When he does that, he hears DC scream and sees her run into the other room. He goes after her and shoots her too. He wanders around looking for things in the house to steal, but JC comes out of her bedroom to see what woke her up. He's trying to shut her up because she's too small for him to consider her a threat. DC calls 911 but dies before she can say anything. He grabs JC and she yells for help as he's dragging her toward the front door (or her bedroom, whatever) and passes DC's body on the way. He notices the phone and hears the 911 operator asking if anyone is there. He kicks the phone and drags or carries JC with him to get out of there before they send LE to the house. He would also have been likely to grab whatever Dad had shot out the door too since it would be something he'd be able to sell.

It may be less than believable, but you have to admit it's original. "delete"....I need more coffee.

Last edited:
I’m thinking it was someone the mother may have come into contact with through her church, perhaps someone she tried to help. Perhaps helped them out with food or cash and Jayme had caught his eye?

There was a case in the U.K. not long ago where a family were stabbed by a homeless man they’d tried to help.

I have been thinking some more about the circumstances that happened that night.

After further thought I now believe the suspect was laying in wait hidden outside somewhere near the home.

Imo they watched the home out of sight until he saw the house go dark.

After then he waited long enough for them to go to sleep. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes.

Then he approached the door knowing it would catch them all by surprise with no way to prepare themselves for what was to come.

Imo
I considered that scenario as well. Makes some sense. Maybe even waited for Dad to get home if he wasn’t. My questions though are where wait? And where park vehicle?

13 really is just a kid. She couldn’t have had either a boyfriend or any plans to cash in on insurance money.
I am wondering about the other incidents that happened in the area that weren’t solved. Another murder a year ago?

The insurance angle seems unlikely, but at 13 she could have had a boyfriend. When I was 13, I dated a 15 year old. In my state, I am saddened to say that we have a high rate of teen pregnancies, many of them 13 and 14. And there are older teens, and even grown men, who target and groom young teens online. I wouldn't discount a romantic entanglement based on age alone. She is still a kid, but she has hormones. The type of dating that young teens do may differ slightly from how older teens date, but relationships still exist. I was crazy over my 15 year old boyfriend. Adults tried to tell me my feelings weren't real because I was so young, but in hindsight I can say they were still valid feelings. Misguided though they may have been, I still had them.

What I DO think, though, is that it is unlikely that another teen was responsible for all of this. I believe the crime is the work of an adult.

I’m thinking it was someone the mother may have come into contact with through her church, perhaps someone she tried to help. Perhaps helped them out with food or cash and Jayme had caught his eye?

There was a case in the U.K. not long ago where a family were stabbed by a homeless man they’d tried to help.

That is more or less what happened with Elizabeth Smart's abduction, so it is certainly a valid theory.

Yes, there are and I’m wondering if people that own them have checked them. I know LE asked this of the community but who knows.
Anyone from that area know how many cabins there are?

Barron County seasonal housing stock is 11%, very high (http://wcwrpc.org/2_Working_Paper_Housing.pdf). There is a map on page 5 showing distribution centered mainly north and west of the Closs house.

Cabins in the area are mainly owned by residents of larger cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Madison, etc.) and are more likely to be located on water/lakeshore.

There was not much discussion here about the neighbourhood and illegal guns. Let's just just say that someone local and in rage go and do this shootings. What is likelyhood that local person has big gun and unregistered? Honest curious question as I do not know anything about guns.

Should not LE ask that every house in community and surrounding arreas check if they have gun missing?

Very much a likelihood. Rural community. Probably lots of hunters. And an area with a serious meth problem.

Guns can legally be sold, traded, gifted in many ways without going through the registration process.

There is no way to know who has what in their homes.

I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this - but it seems like we know so very little in this case that so many of the scenarios (and kudos to everyone for keeping this alive and trying) are conflicting. We know so very few actual, verified facts right now that the possibilities are almost endless. I've got my fingers crossed that this means LE knows a lot more than what they're sharing...but I also have some doubts since they seem to keep asking the public for help. I can only assume that they're close, and not releasing information for specific reasons. Still following along every day, but until I get more information I feel that putting things down on paper/in print feels a little like an exercise in futility. IMO/JMO/MOO etc.

What I feel confident we know:

-Jayme's parents are dead, both shot
-Jayme is missing

Beyond that...specific to the case, very little. The timeline seems questionable. We know little more about the first point: how many guns were used? Where were they shot - front/back? I'm taking that to mean that they're working on things diligently, and to be fair, keeping the internet/public at large informed on all the details they have is probably pretty low on their list, if it's on there at al

Keep the ideas coming! It will be interesting to see what conjecture ends up being right/wrong when they find Jayme (holding out for alive yet!).

I think oftentimes the LE will ask for the public to help just to keep the public busy and to give them something to do. People feel helpless. They're scared. They're uneasy. Giving them things to do keeps them busy and hopefully keeps them focussed on something other than creating more crime / drama for the cops to deal with. I wonder if their stats on domestic violence for instance have been affected by this incident? Or their stats on suicide calls? Just thinking out loud....

Living in the UK i clearly remember this crime. This was the 2017 case of Aaron Barley who stabbed to death mother-of-two Tracey Wilkinson and her 13 year-old son Pierce and critically injured her husband Peter. Tracey had found him homeless and begging outside her local supermarket and had taken him in, giving him food and shelter. She found him a place in a hostel and her husband gave him a job at his manufacturing firm but a few months later Barley started taking drugs. One day he came back to their home and attacked them with a knife, killing the mom and son and injuring the dad. A chilling and extremely sad story.

Seeing the questions and comments concerning why LE did this or didn't do that I thought some may be interested in reading the OJJDP guide book that LE follows in these cases. I found it very informative. It is long but there is a table of contents or you can use your devices "find" option for specific words.
"Missing and Abducted Children: A Law-Enforcement Guide to Case Investigation and Program Management"
http://www.missingkids.com/content/dam/ncmec/en_us/desktop/publications/nc74.pdf

I’m more inclined to believe the family did not know their killer solely from the 911 call and the lack of POI the police have.
If Denise was the one to call 911 after seeing her husband shot and maybe being shot herself, knowing her daughter was still in the house in danger, my last dying breathe would be to shout out the name. “Don’t do it ______”
Since we know there was shouting and yelling wouldn’t you try to slip in their name? I sure as hell would.

Would they assume it was suicide with two gunshot wounds? I'm thinking it was a bullet wound in the head that made them think that initially.

That's a good point. The initial LE on the scene is only going by their first reaction to what they see. Some of what initially thought changed as they learn more info going through the house. But we know based on the dispatch log that the first LE on the scene called it in as a suicide after seeing James Closs near the entryway.

So it begs the question -- what types of things would make something initially look like a suicide? IMO there are 2 things: 1-- Likely a head wound. 2-- He was only shot once.

That's a good point. The initial LE on the scene is only going by their first reaction to what they see. Some of what initially thought changed as they learn more info going through the house. But we know based on the dispatch log that the first LE on the scene called it in as a suicide after seeing James Closs near the entryway.

So it begs the question -- what types of things would make something initially look like a suicide? IMO there are 2 things: 1-- Likely a head wound. 2-- He was only shot once.
Wasn't it dispatched as a suicide? I think it was thought to be a suicide before LE arrived on scene.

Can anyone tell me if there are live stream traffic cams in the area. Maybe it's my internet but the picture in any I find seem like regular pics not video. Traffic doesn't move in them. Is that how they are? If not is there something I need to change with my device or internet? I have been racking my brain on what I can do to help and while probably crazy thought I could randomly watch traffic cams for the Challenger. Advise anyone? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood