AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mind drifts back to the violent entry. Any seasoned criminal will explain using viable entries such as windows or a sliding door while the family is away or asleep. This was like a commando raid. Kick in the door, shoot the enemy, take a hostage (BUT NOTHING ELSE), and exit. Could the culprit be a post traumatic stress ex-military vet?

I agree. He didn't seem to be very social. Both are described as being shy, but Denise appeared to be a little more active in church and the community. I also get the idea that she wouldn't be too happy about her husband having company on a Sunday night, or any night for that matter. Neither one seem to be very social, and I get the feeling they were very private. He didn't seem at all the type to have friends over to watch football. We also have no idea what time he came home that night. I imagine after working all day the last thing he would want would be entertaining a friend. Jmo

You made me think of something. Maybe they did have friends over and that's why his truck was parked back a way!

chilling thought - are there many survivalists in the area? Any that would have underground bunkers nearby that maybe the owners aren't aware that someone might be camped out there? If it's well stocked and all, no one would know they were there.

Gosh I didn't even recognize her in this all grown up Jayme photo! The ones they have of her on the missing posters are of a younger looking girl!

I think that photo was taken the Sunday before she disappeared-- she is wearing the same jean jacket as in the family gathering photos. The part in her hair seems to be the same spot too. But my hesitation is the phone-- does the phone in front of her look the same?

jayme-closs-3-missing-ht-ps-181016_hpEmbed_10x13_992.jpg

jayme-closs-2-missing-ht-ps-181016_hpEmbed_10x13_992.jpg

Sheriff looking for cars of interest in case of missing girl

Jayme-Closs-Facebook.jpg

Jayme Closs Archives - Wausau Pilot & Review

Maybe the one on the table belonged to someone else sitting next to her?

I guess it's possible, but not likely. How many people carry guns around in their car? I don't see him leaving the room and going into Jayme's room without her dad noticing. I'm sure she would have been asleep that late on a school night. LE has asked anyone to come forward if they know of any misunderstanding or problem the family may have had with anyone. If he had a friend over, he would likely have a wife or someone who knows him. If he was a volatile type person I would think someone would have suspected him by now. And I think the chances of a friend, who would be someone James knew enough to trust, suddenly becoming enraged enough with no prior signs of anger problems, and murdering both James and Denise and abducting their child, is highly unlikely.
If he was staying there because he had too much to drink, and everybody went to bed, who’s to say he couldn’t have tried to sneak in to Jayme’s room while she was sleeping? She could have woke and screamed for dad, and dad could have come in and beat his butt before throwing him out. It’s not that uncommon for some to have a gun with them for protection. IMO

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. A fellow nurse co-worker and very good friend of mine for many years was murdered by her boyfriend a couple of years ago.

He took a plea deal, LWOP. His siblings and mother were ready to testify against him. My friend,Clo, was an only child and a dog lover like me. We had so much fun and worked so well together in our early 30's.
I'd moved 1,000+ miles away a few years prior, and hadn't seen her in a long time but we still texted. She was planning on flying out to visit me for a week just before she was killed.. We were making lots of fun plans, as she'd never seen Texas before. :) 00 My last text from her was just before she was murdered. It was a photo of the cutest little dog I've ever seen. She'd just rescued him from the shelter she volunteered for on her off time. He shot and killed her dog, too. She had no family living.

Because of Clo's murder, shot point blank in the head with a shotgun, I don't want to hear 911 tapes. I don't want to hear victims screaming or a perp. shooting a gun. I can tell you that with time, if you're like me, the nightmares will stop, and you will have funny dreams of the two of you working together and doing things together outside work. It's amazing how our minds fill in the painful spaces with sweet little things as time passes and we heal from the acute loss. I hope so much this happens for you. We still remember them, but we learn to live with what happened to them... becauses we have to do so.
Hugs!!!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. I'm sad to hear that you've been through a similar situation and I'm so sorry that you experienced the violent loss of your friend. I'm looking forward to the day when the trial is behind me and he is behind bars for good. Hugs!!!

Regarding the chair and the mattress...
If there were multiple perps involved, they would have planned this. They are somehow connected to the family, most likely through work and knew the dad's schedule.
While in the house, they look for valuables, safes (which many people in WI have for weapons and other valuables)... Maybe the chair was used to prop the door shut - because if they lock it, obviously the dad has the keys. So with the chair propped, that would let them know when dad's home and he gets ambushed that way....
After going through the house, maybe they thought there were valuables hidden in the mattress, and they disturb the bedroom looking for anything...
I still maintain that Jayme being abducted is sexually motivated... which is why I believe there were multiple perps with multiple motives... Just speculating...

You made me think of something. Maybe they did have friends over and that's why his truck was parked back a way!
I don't think he had friends over at all, but maybe he parked there so Denise could get out in the morning or LE moved it themselves to get their own vehicles by. They would not have been able to get that big white truck in there with his truck in the way. Also, he would not have had to move his truck if a friend came over. They could have parked behind him since they would have been leaving before him. JMO

I still maintain that Jayme being abducted is sexually motivated... which is why I believe there were multiple perps with multiple motives... Just speculating...
I quite agree with your first statement, the second leaves me wondering just what they were after.

Regarding the chair and the mattress...
If there were multiple perps involved, they would have planned this. They are somehow connected to the family, most likely through work and knew the dad's schedule.
While in the house, they look for valuables, safes (which many people in WI have for weapons and other valuables)... Maybe the chair was used to prop the door shut - because if they lock it, obviously the dad has the keys. So with the chair propped, that would let them know when dad's home and he gets ambushed that way....
After going through the house, maybe they thought there were valuables hidden in the mattress, and they disturb the bedroom looking for anything...

We have heard of nothing missing, which is strange for a break and enter.

I appears the family may have entered the house through the garage door rather than the front door.

Why would you think that is not likely. Out of all the theories, that one is the most believable.

It’s really not. The odds that no one else would know that James and a friend were at the house together would be very low. If he got together to watch the game with someone LE would know who that is by now. They’d have questioned that person about their whereabouts FITB that day/night and checked it all out. It’s just not very likely to be someone close to them at this point. After 2 weeks LE would know.

If he was staying there because he had too much to drink, and everybody went to bed, who’s to say he couldn’t have tried to sneak in to Jayme’s room while she was sleeping? She could have woke and screamed for dad, and dad could have come in and beat his butt before throwing him out. It’s not that uncommon for some to have a gun with them for protection. IMO
We don't have any evidence to base this on, so really there are any number of scenarios to consider. We just don't know. Jmo

or do the unexpected and go exactly in the direction of police, they are responding to a urgent call, they aren't going to say oh wait that call can wait and ill pull this car right here over.
I don't think this is going to be the case when the facts become known. I am certain one of the first things to be examined would be the dash cams of all the vehicles that responded to the call. I also think there is a very good chance the perp's vehicle will either be registered in WI or MN and both of those states, the last I knew, require both a front and a rear license plate. I have mid quality dash cams on my vehicles (Viofo A129 $125) and they can read a license plate from an oncoming vehicle at night. And I am sure the dash cams of LE vehicles are of a lot higher quality. Is it possible the perp(s) went in the direction of LE? Sure, but I would think if the perp had more than an IQ waiting to happen they would choose the other way. Another thing to remember is many of the LE vehicles were county sheriff's so they could really be coming from any direction as they would not be only policing the city limits of Barron (Barron PD) and thus coming only from the east. MOO

I think it’s highly unlikely he had a friend over to watch the game. Someone would have known about this. Either the friends wife or maybe the guy mentioned “Hey I’m going to watch the game at JC’s tonight” to another friend, to someone. Or maybe Denise would have mentioned James had a friend over to watch the game to a friend or family. Games last a long time. Surely she would have text or spoken to someone within those hours and if so probably would have mentioned they had company. Same for Jayme if she had a phone and texted with friends regularly. My point is if he had someone over to watch the game or if they had company that evening in any capacity someone would most likely have known. This would’ve been the first thing they checked on.

The Smrekars may be correct about the 12:31 time (LE time) of the two gunshots. Another poster pointed out the shots could have been completely unrelated like some other neighbor scaring away wildlife. But what if the shots were related but not at the Closs home?

What if Unsub hides in woods nearby. At 12:30 (his time, 1 min slower than LE time) he fires off the two shots. Then he waits and watches, perhaps with binoculars. Does anyone go to open any door on either home and if so Who? Do lights come on in the houses, which lights? Do dogs bark? Do patrol cars show up?

He waits 20 minutes until 12:50 (his time), long enough for the Closs and Smrekar households to go back to sleep, dogs calm down, everyone off alert for noise, no 911 call because no patrol cars arrive. Then he very rapidly breeches the front door by kicking and/or shooting. Like a smash 'n' grab robbery, all of the mayhem inside the Closs home and abduction in 3-5 minutes.

This theory explains the time the neighbors heard gunshots 12:31, the time DC tried to call 911 at 12:53. If so DC was immediately calling as her husband was shot, then she was shot, Jayme was grabbed, and out the door.

It’s really not. The odds that no one else would know that James and a friend were at the house together would be very low. If he got together to watch the game with someone LE would know who that is by now. They’d have questioned that person about their whereabouts FITB that day/night and checked it all out. It’s just not very likely to be someone close to them at this point. After 2 weeks LE would know.
Also there would have been some type of evidence left at the scene. If they were drinking beers as suggested, they would likely have the perps DNA and finger prints, and would have a suspect by now. In a situation where one suddenly loses control and in a frenzy murders 2 people and takes a child, they are sure to leave evidence behind. Jmo

JMHO: I do believe this could be either a case of Jayme getting online attention from an older guy or young adult guy, maybe catfishing even or maybe not, that went totally wrong in the end as she was so innocent she did not realize the guy would actually show up or maybe even had mental issues. (OR possibly a local girls/group bullying thing). We had a local story of a girl and her friend who snuck out and were doing drugs with older guys/men and it got out of hand and ALL of them killed the girl.

For the ones who don't believe that to be true, another theory might be (there is no way to read every post, so sorry if a repeat):

Theory: Mom and Jayme go to party. Dad goes to work (maybe to make up for wanting to be off for the next night for Monday Night Football Packers game?)...or to the bar or a friends or the store (doesn't matter). While all are gone in the afternoon/evening, robbers of some kind randomly break into Closs secluded home through bathroom window. Girls come home from party in the late afternoon or evening and surprise robbers. Robbers overpower/detain/tie up both mom and Jayme, maybe there is a SA?....for hours while unsuspecting dad is away. Dad comes home to the front door (surprising robbers), and girls cry out for help. Maybe the Closs family does not usually lock their doors/front door so dad does not have a key in hand and robbers have it locked or barricaded with that chair with the splinters. Dad kicks door in or grabs shotgun from truck and shoots door in? Upon entry, robbers shoot and kill dad - both girls still incapacitated or at gunpoint? (Maybe this scenario happens at 12:50 am or maybe much earlier?) At 12:50 (maybe robbers distracted by dad breaking in front door if that is when that happened or just a random opportunity for one of the girls long after dad has been shot at the front door), mom or Jayme breaks free or has opportunity to grab phone after a long time of assault or being held, calls 911, commotion happens, mom is shot. Robbers panic and take Jayme b/c that is where DNA evidence resides? UGH! (I think we ignore the neighbors account no matter if it is correct or not. What we DO know is when the 911 call came in.)

Again, ALL JMHO. I so desperately want her to be okay!

Does anyone know the location of the Closs family gathering? I see an early report in the Daily Mirror indicating that it was at the Closs home and citing Mr Fitzgerald. "In the hours before the shooting, there was a family gathering at the Closs' home on Sunday afternoon, and Jayme was present, Mr Fitzgerald said."
The Grandfather is also quoted talking about his grandson's birthday: was it at his home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998