AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, unlikely. But LE have done it before. We've seen it.

LE in MD gave Laura Wallen's killer free rein and then set up a whole presser just to catch this guy out. It was both cleverly thought out and ensured that they got Tyler Tessier behind bars.

While unlikely, it's not impossible. And it works. Sometimes.
It’s done in the case of domestic murders and other personal crimes. Crimes in which there is likely no risk to the public.

This case is very different, as there very well may be a risk to the public.

12224.jpg

1st shift 7 am - 4 pm
2nd shift 4 pm - 1 am
3rd shift 8 pm - 6 am

https://marketplace.apg-
wi.com/places/view/12224/jennie_o.html

Published shifts per Jennie O in Barron, WI employment ad.
NOT confirmation of the shifts by victims. MOO

These are almost the same hours that we work at our warehouse. Second shift finishes up at 1 am. Saturday morning and doesn't start work again until 4 pm Monday afternoon. 3rd shift finishes 6 am Friday morning and doesn't start again until 8 pm Sunday night until 6am Monday morning.

How awful for Jaymie. I remember 13, and I would be mortified. heck I'm 51 and I would still be mortified, but at 13 it would be even worse.
I can only imagine how terrified she is after her beloved parents were killed, and now someone has her captive.
It's good to know that she has lots of family that loves her to the moon and back, to help her cope now, and after she gets back home.
The term “love you to the moon and back” was used on Denise’s Facebook page to Jayme. Used on purpose in the Aunt’s statement I expect.

Libraries are BIG on privacy. From the ALA:

"The right to privacy – the right to read, consider, and develop ideas and beliefs free from observation or unwanted surveillance by the government or others – is the bedrock foundation for intellectual freedom. It is essential to the exercise of free speech, free thought, and free association...

Lack of privacy and confidentiality chills users' choices, thereby suppressing access to ideas. The possibility of surveillance, whether direct or through access to records of speech, research and exploration, undermines a democratic society. One cannot exercise the right to read if the possible consequences include damage to one's reputation, ostracism from the community or workplace, or criminal penalties. Choice requires both a varied selection and the assurance that one's choice is not monitored. For libraries to flourish as centers for uninhibited access to information, librarians must stand behind their users' right to privacy and freedom of inquiry..."

More here:

Privacy

At Libraries here, all computer entries have a record of the computer used, when you log in.
Wouldn't it be possible, to check one's computer usage records, to note what was searched/played/entered and have a record?
It would depend on the system they are using.

The one my library has records card numbers and the computer, and you can click on it for more information, like their name or the amount of time they have been on that day. Our main concern is people not using other folks' cards or gaming the system to get more time.

I don't know how long it saves that information. It probably wipes clean at the end of the day or the end of the week at the latest.

Still, we don't have access to what they are doing (the computers are visible to us, and we walk by frequently and can see that way), and I am not sure we could recover what they were up to. It really would be a matter of our staff being able to tell investigators we frequently observed with our own eyes the person to be on Facebook, for instance, or he/she always seemed to be doing homework or playing a lot of Minecraft.

Someone else on here mentioned privacy concerns, and that is something libraries do try to take seriously. Even with children, we don't record what they are doing anymore than we do an adult.

It might be more of an issue of tracing some of her online activity to an IP address at the local library. That's a distinct possibility.

However, the library there certainly could have different rules and a stricter system. I just checked their website, and it doesn't say anything except computers and Wi-fi are available for use. It specifically says it is available for the general public. They might not require you to log on, though I suspect fewer and fewer libraries are that lax. Our system has a way for guests to log in electronically. Perhaps they do the same.

@vmmking's experiences line up with mine. Our libraries likely are using the same or a very similar system for patron internet usage. :)

It is what people do. People read obituaries and burglarize homes of dead people when they know a viewing or funeral is going on. Not uncommon.

I have even heard, people go to airports, at international terminals, check out where there are families, and note their luggage labels.
When families return home, after seeing a relative off, there has been a forced entry on their home. :(:(
MOO.

Too late for that. This is going to have a life of its own until the Sheriff comes out before the media and details the 3,4, or 17 ways they know he wasn't involved in minute detail - and even then it will go on.

I fear this will be just like the Daniel Nations fiasco in the Delphi case that caused so much harm by creating the impression that law enforcement had the person responsible when they didn't and those situations cause those that only have a casual or limited knowledge of an on-going case to believe it is solved and those people no longer keep an eye out for who law enforcement is looking for.

This has the potential to cause a really large number of people that are aware of this case to think this is over or close to over and they don't bother keeping an eye out for Jayme. It will also cause an inordinate amount of tips that law enforcement will have to clear that are related to this rabbit hole and that will take resources away from the goal of finding Jayme.

LE can say it however many times they like but they knew this would stir people. This is bound to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths and questions unanswered. I wonder if LE is playing a game here.

The person arrested for burglarizing the Closs home Oct. 27th is not involved in Jayme's disappearance. I would like to stay focused on Jayme here.
I would also like to chime in here and add that rumors can be very harmful to an investigation. I will give you an example.

During the search for Lucas Hernandez, the family requested property owners search their land. We had members here mapping search areas, some who had boots on the ground, and many who were making an all-out effort to distribute online flyers to farmers, ranchers, businesses, etc. Rumors started on social media that Lucas’ mother kidnapped him and had him hidden in New Mexico. When search teams were out talking to residents, they learned there were people who had stopped searching for Lucas based on these rumors.

@perfectingpink, @kkdj, @margarita25 and many others will remember this.

Please don’t let something like this happen with Jayme. If and when rumors start swirling that “this is the guy,” people will quit looking for her. Law Enforcement is not playing a game.
MOO

It is what people do. People read obituaries and burglarize homes of dead people when they know a viewing or funeral is going on. Not uncommon.

Similarly at engagements/weddings.
When people return home, their homes have been entered, gifts removed, other valuables taken.
Any means, to profit!:(:(
MOO.

Does LE have a PC planned for anytime soon?
They didn't have anything scheduled but I think they need to get ahead of this before it gets out of hand on the 4pm newscasts out in that region. I don't think a Facebook post or statements to the media will be enough. Regardless, this is exactly the kind of stuff the media feeds on regardless of its relevance to the case and I think this is going to hurt the efforts to find Jayme as this will become a focal point that won't easily go away.

I would also like to chime in here and add that rumors can be very harmful to an investigation. I will give you an example.

During the search for Lucas Hernandez, the family requested property owners search their land. We had members here mapping search areas, some who had boots on the ground, and many who were making an all-out effort to distribute online flyers to farmers, ranchers, businesses, etc. Rumors started on social media that Lucas’ mother kidnapped him and had him hidden in New Mexico. When search teams were out talking to residents, they learned there were people who had stopped searching for Lucas based on these rumors.

@perfectingpink, @kkdj, @margarita25 and many others will remember this.

Please don’t let something like this happen with Jayme. If and when rumors start swirling that “this is the guy,” people will quit looking for her. Law Enforcement is not playing a game.
MOO

Don't worry. I know how things can spin out of control.

Unfortunately, this will happen each time that someone is mentioned in this way, even if they are not connected. I'm not saying I believe he's involved, just that it's odd and this is bound to spiral.

Last edited:
Doubt it. The complaint states that they saw him on motion activated cameras at 2:00am on October 27th. This would be several hours after the house was released and longer after the mattress removal. Prior to that law enforcement had a presence on site securing it.
Does he have her somewhere?
Could she have requested the pink tank top?

They didn't have anything scheduled but I think they need to get ahead of this before it gets out of hand on the 4pm newscasts out in that region. I don't think a Facebook post or statements to the media will be enough. Regardless, this is exactly the kind of stuff the media feeds on regardless of its relevance to the case and I think this is going to hurt the efforts to find Jayme as this will become a focal point that won't easily go away.
Exactly!

Paul Blume‏Verified account @PaulBlume_FOX9
Contact shared this photo from Barron Co today. Confirmed law enforcement following up on a tip, searched a property along Hwy 8 west of the Closs family home. I am told nothing came of it. So far 2,000+ tips, 1,875 of them closed, no Jayme. #FindJayme #FindJaymeCloss

DqsyNHeUUAAWgS-.jpg

12:38 PM - 29 Oct 2018
This is the specific location (go to street view to see).
Google Maps

And this is the relation of that location to the Closs house
Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads