AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the tape reveals something only the killer would know. This could help verify any confession necessary for conviction when physical evidence is lacking. I trust LE- and the swarm of them on this case- to differentiate when to release & when not.
I don't trust them to be omniscient- I think LE often lacks common sense. As Jayaxx and I have both posted- The first priority is to find Jayme alive, not to prepare for the possible prosecution of the culprit. If the tape is of no use (which they really don't know) then it is of no harm to release it, if it really is of use then it is imperative they release it. Think about it, if they don't release it and at any point in this month she was/is alive, and the tape could have lead to her being recovered....

Releasing the audio wont make her MORE lost. She is still going to be missing. Or it will help her be found. Or if there is one part of it that is sensitive they can cut out part. I'm very suspicious that there is something on that tape that leads them to believe something about her fate that they are not telling us.
I do understand the suspicion, and I agree its possible there is something on there that gives them an idea of Jayme's fate. That said though, what if releasing it somehow puts a perhaps still alive Jayme in more danger? What if releasing it angers someone so much that they take it out further on her? If they're not releasing it, they have their reasons. We may be curious and want to hear it to soothe our own curiosity, but it may not be what is in the best interest of the minor missing child.

I'm thinking back to cases where the 911 tapes were released:
-> Jacob Wetterling. The tape was released at some point (I don't recall when) and it did not lead to an arrest, or finding Jacob.
-> More recently, Hania, missing 13yr old abducted just a few weeks ago - that 911 was released along with video of a person of interest walking in the area around the time of the abduction, yet hasn't lead to her whereabouts or an arrest.

It may settle curiosity, but may not necessarily lead to information to further the case. Infact, it may make the case even more difficult as people will call in with their "tips" that are theories and not actual information. It seems to draw out the people who armchair quarterback and decide what they hear, even if LE isn't in agreement. Take Jonbenet Ramsey's case for instance. The 911 call was released, and people seem to hear all sorts of questionable stuff on it that may or may not even be what actually happened. It still hasn't led to the arrest of a viable suspect.

I don't trust them to be omniscient- I think LE often lacks common sense. As Jayaxx and I have both posted- The first priority is to find Jayme alive, not to prepare for the possible prosecution of the culprit. If the tape is of no use (which they really don't know) then it is of no harm to release it, if it really is of use then it is imperative they release it. Think about it, if they don't release it and at any point in this month she was/is alive, and the tape could have lead to her being recovered....
On the flip side, if there is something on it, releasing it could spook a perp or perps into killing Jayme out of fear of capture. It could even lead to a wrongful arrest: someone calls in and says they know that voice. Police check it out, the voice seems to match. The person lacks a credible alibi, and seems nervous (because who wouldn't be nervous if they were innocent and being looked at for this crime!?). Police spend time following this information which ends up not being the right person for the crime, or worse, the person ends up wrongfully convicted, police close the case, and the real perp walks... Hey, it could totally happen, though I'd like to think its unlikely to.

Ideally, they release the tape IF there is something that could HELP locate Jayme safely, but if the tape can't help, or could lead to greater danger for her, then hell no.

Depends on animal activity- I live in a rural area and see deer hit on the side of the road all the time. Many times it takes only a week or so for most or all of the flesh to be gone (if the area is less traffic and animals can get to it at night). Other areas it takes a lot longer.
Interesting observation - thanks for sharing.

On the flip side, if there is something on it, releasing it could spook a perp or perps into killing Jayme out of fear of capture. It could even lead to a wrongful arrest: someone calls in and says they know that voice. Police check it out, the voice seems to match. The person lacks a credible alibi, and seems nervous (because who wouldn't be nervous if they were innocent and being looked at for this crime!?). Police spend time following this information which ends up not being the right person for the crime, or worse, the person ends up wrongfully convicted, police close the case, and the real perp walks... Hey, it could totally happen, though I'd like to think its unlikely to.

Ideally, they release the tape IF there is something that could HELP locate Jayme safely, but if the tape can't help, or could lead to greater danger for her, then hell no.

I don't disrespect police officers but I also know that most of them could benefit from a big dose of humility.

There is no way for LE to guess what a totally irrational person who just killed two people in cold blood and abducted a teenager might do even if they don't release the tape. They do know with 100% certainty what that person did last month and that if Jayme is with that person she is in grave danger. No one is going to be prosecuted on a grainy recording if that is the only evidence. Remember- you don't have to prove you have an alibi or even provide one, and its normal to be nervous when you are accused of murder.

Personally there is no way I am going to get anything out of that recording, but someone local just might hear something they recognize.

There is no risk to releasing the tape.

Investigators release new plea for help in Short Family Murder investigation

Crime took place on August 15, 2002, Mary and Michael Short were found dead in their Basset home. Michael was found on a couch in the attached garage, shot in the head. Mary was found in the bedroom, also shot in the head. Their 9-year-old daughter Jennifer Short was missing so a massive countywide search began.

Crime Scene: Henry County, Virginia (Parents shot and killed August 15, 2002) and Stoneville, North Carolina (daughter's body found September 25, 2002 in Stoneville, North Carolina)

Henry County, Virginia to Stoneville, NC-->23 min (16.6 mi) via Horsepasture Price Rd

On the previous thread, I read, "I just think that if the priority if finding Jayme, you release the tape. If it's getting a conviction, you don't. To me, it speaks volumes where their priorities seem to be." I'm just curious how it would negate a conviction? Do you mean the perp could 'vanish even more'? Or is there some legal technicality that would hinder getting a conviction? Just curious! Thank you!

Details bring false confessions/accusations. The pros think it would hinder/not help, I'll yield to their expertise (with my fingers crossed).

Not dumb and not impossible. If Jayme ran, injured or not, she could have covered herself with leaves to hide. I think most kids who’ve grown up in any area with a leaf-raking season have raked/ played/ hid in leaves before. My only snag with this theory is that the search dogs would have tracked this, I’m thinking.
I have read a few peoples comments throughout the last 6 weeks stating that the dogs would pick up her scent if she ran. Obviously we do not know how often she walked around the property and how far back she would go but wouldn't her scent be everywhere? I guess what I'm asking is how can the dogs decipher if her scent was more recent or it was from her walking in the woods a week ago? Her scent should be all over the property anyways.

Thank you! Often us sleuthers can be a bit selfish and not be concerned of the consequences releasing info. LE are professionals, local departments have larger resources at their disposal. There is a reason LE will not release audio. We have to respect that even though we may disagree.

I do understand the suspicion, and I agree its possible there is something on there that gives them an idea of Jayme's fate. That said though, what if releasing it somehow puts a perhaps still alive Jayme in more danger? What if releasing it angers someone so much that they take it out further on her? If they're not releasing it, they have their reasons. We may be curious and want to hear it to soothe our own curiosity, but it may not be what is in the best interest of the minor missing child.

I'm thinking back to cases where the 911 tapes were released:
-> Jacob Wetterling. The tape was released at some point (I don't recall when) and it did not lead to an arrest, or finding Jacob.
-> More recently, Hania, missing 13yr old abducted just a few weeks ago - that 911 was released along with video of a person of interest walking in the area around the time of the abduction, yet hasn't lead to her whereabouts or an arrest.

It may settle curiosity, but may not necessarily lead to information to further the case. Infact, it may make the case even more difficult as people will call in with their "tips" that are theories and not actual information. It seems to draw out the people who armchair quarterback and decide what they hear, even if LE isn't in agreement. Take Jonbenet Ramsey's case for instance. The 911 call was released, and people seem to hear all sorts of questionable stuff on it that may or may not even be what actually happened. It still hasn't led to the arrest of a viable suspect.

You can add Ayla Reynolds to that list too. It did no good.
I can't count how many false confessions/accusations by inmates looking for attention or favors that happen when evidence is known.
If there was something there that would lead to Jayme, they would release it.

If the 911 call recording could lead to her recovery, she would have been recovered.

It's more likely that people want to hear the tape because they are curious, in the same way they can't look away from a fiery traffic accident.

Investigators release new plea for help in Short Family Murder investigation

Crime took place on August 15, 2002, Mary and Michael Short were found dead in their Basset home. Michael was found on a couch in the attached garage, shot in the head. Mary was found in the bedroom, also shot in the head. Their 9-year-old daughter Jennifer Short was missing so a massive countywide search began.

Crime Scene: Henry County, Virginia (Parents shot and killed August 15, 2002) and Stoneville, North Carolina (daughter's body found September 25, 2002 in Stoneville, North Carolina)

Henry County, Virginia to Stoneville, NC-->23 min (16.6 mi) via Horsepasture Price Rd
I looked up Jennie-O locations to see if it was possible someone could have a connection but it seems all the plants are in Minnesota except the Barron plant.
Perhaps the body was dumped along the way as the murderer traveled home?

If the 911 call recording could lead to her recovery, she would have been recovered.

It's more likely that people want to hear the tape because they are curious, in the same way they can't look away from a fiery traffic accident.

We dont know if it could lead to her recovery. I know 100% not releasing it wont help

We dont know if it could lead to her recovery. I know 100% not releasing it wont help

The experts certainly know whether releasing the 911 recording will lead to the recovery of Jayme.

If releasing the recording would produce a suspect or help to locate Jayme, the recording would have been released a long time ago. What we have been told is that there are muffled voices and an indication that someone is in distress. What can be gained by hearing that distress?

Just like releasing the Call Log helped? That has only created questioning and confusion. I have to think there is nothing on that tape that is proactive in finding Jayme or the murderers of her parents. If there was, by now there have been plenty of people who have heard it, and still no resolution.

Why is the family being so quiet and not demanding it be released if it could help. Maybe they have been convinced there is nothing helpful on it, just painful noises. I'm sure their nightmares are bad enough without actually hearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd