AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by JerseyGirl, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abba's Tears

Abba's Tears Well-Known Member

The location is almost always provided immediately when the 911 call comes in. The address displays when the dispatcher answers the call unless there is a rare problem.

Gardener1850, Jax49, human and 2 others like this.
  2. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

I agree with a comment a few pages back that the time between hearing the shots and the 911 call might be because Jayme didn't have her phone in her room. Though I'm not a parent, I know some friends lock down the electronics for their kids at night by taking the phone and putting it elsewhere to charge, so they know they aren't on them instead of sleeping. Perhaps she waited to go retrieve it until she felt it was safe(r) to do so--it could have been in her parents' room or even in a common area like the living room.

Some questions I have (well, I have lots, but for right now) and for what it's worth, I know we don't have the answers to these:
    1) What is the layout of the house?
    2) What time did her dad arrive home from work? Knowing he might have worked at night and gotten home late is very interesting to me.

Could it have been someone who was angry at him and followed him home? Like an argument that started at work and then he left for the night and the person came after him? I don't know; this crime just seems targeted and personal to me. And if her dad did arrive home shortly before this all started....I'd like to look into that angle.

3. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

Ariel Castro, the guy who held three young women captive for over 10 years, supposedly was comforting one of the young women's mother at a vigil. And, he was active in the searches and vigils for these women.

Cleveland kidnappings: Suspect Ariel Castro helped search for missing women | The Star

MrsM, silversurvivor, kkdj and 14 others like this.
  4. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

This may be part of the reason they don't want people searching on their own, they risk putting themselves in danger. Jmo

5. EllaMae

EllaMae Well-Known Member

Unless the police were running silent.....the siren would tell the perp to go in the opposite direction so not much decision time needed there. Or it could have been a lucky guess. And I have no doubt that there was some hustling going on to get away fast. But Jayme was probably tied up and just thrown in the car or she was numb with shock and fright, and forced into the car trunk in a hurry. Maybe there were 2 perps.
    It's one of my theories that Jayme did not make the 911 call. I think possibly the commotion heard during the call was the resistance to her being taken out the front door, and may be why Dad was killed in that area.
    Taking Jayme could have been an impulse that occurred during a home invasion, or she could have been the specific target. I go back and forth with that one.

6. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Would a burner phone give location also? TIA

7. MadCityNative

MadCityNative Well-Known Member

Correction to early post...the house is located west of Barron...so going east on U.S. 8 back into Barron would be highly unlikely, as they would have run into LE. The suspect almost had to start out going west toward Minnesota...and there are very few side streets along that route.

8. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

I think the perp was probably busy enough with the gun and getting Jayme out of the house to have his cell phone handy. I suppose it could have dropped from a coat pocket or something, but then the FBI would surely have identified him by now, I would think.
    MOO

9. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

Wisconsin town on edge

"Investigators still have a “100 percent expectation” that the teen is alive."

Fitzgerald has yet to say how long the parents were dead before the bodies were discovered after the 911 call brought deputies to the home, which is set back in woods along Hwy. 8 just west of town. Family members told CBS News in a telephone interview that the front door of the family’s home was shot in.

At the Barron Area Community Center, where Jim Closs’ name is listed on a board recognizing those who have exercised for 1,000 hours, local resident Mike Swanson said everybody was “on edge, waiting to find out what’s going on here.”

Swanson knew Jim Closs from high school athletics when Closs went to school in Ladysmith, Wis., Swanson said. The family was known as a good family and active in their community, he said.

Wisconsin town on edge with search for missing teen, parents' slayings

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. SharonNeedles

SharonNeedles Verified Reject

I respectfully disagree.

11. gngr~snap

gngr~snap Verified Professional Pediatric Nurse

Why you might want to own a 'burner phone'
    "Anonymity isn’t fully guaranteed, however, as burner phones can still be located over a cellular network by the temporary phone number, or logged whenever you call someone else’s phone via their carrier."

12. EllaMae

EllaMae Well-Known Member

That's an interesting theory. Elizabeth Smart was held captive very close to her home after she was kidnapped.

13. Hope32

Hope32 Mainly Lurker Sometimes Sleuther

Cell phones all locate the same. It takes longer to locate the call as they have to bounce it off the cell towers. Thats why it's always best to call 911 from a home phone for the quickest response.

14. MissMalowe

MissMalowe Well-Known Member

Not that this means much of anything but,

Reclusive?
    Active in their community?

Which is it?

Odd that different people seem to be giving completely different descriptions of the family and how known/active/social they were.

IHAVENOCLUE, MrsM, Boodles and 16 others like this.
  15. Wish I Knew

Wish I Knew Living with Butterflies

To add to my original post, there are lots and lots of remote hunting cabins/sheds where a person could "live".

MrsM, Boodles, zencompass and 11 others like this.
  16. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

I'm still catching up so sorry if this has been mentioned. Perhaps the closed town meeting was a calculated move by LE/FBI in hopes the perpetrator(s) would show up to the meeting.
    jmo

17. vmmking

vmmking Well-Known Member

Ok, so I finally have something real to contribute on this 911 cell thing, thanks to my county sheriff's department. I could not figure out how to enable ES on my phone and I was kind of stressing about the possibility that if I called 911 and couldn't speak, they wouldn't be able to find me immediately. I live in rural IL (Andy Griffith stuff here). I finally just called the sheriff's department to ask if I needed to download an app or something, or if they could find me quickly.

She told me they should be able to find me immediately. Then she asked if I wanted to test it and told me to call 911. So I did. She answered and had my location down within seconds.

I now have no questions about how the police arrived within 4 minutes of the call. The cops would have been at my house by now, before I finished this message because they have the technology, and let's face it, they don't have much more important things to do in a rural community.

LaLaw2000, MrsM, mimi56 and 47 others like this.
  18. Moonsie

Moonsie Well-Known Member

Was sleeping, woke to sound of gunshots, figured out that someone was in house, got out of bed, locked bedroom door and hid...when perp finally figured out where she was and reached her she called 911. What 911 operator heard as “disturbance” was her being taken from home. moo.

Shadow@light, callyn, Sanz and 12 others like this.
  19. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    human and Jethro4WS like this.
  20. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

If the call came from her phone, and both she and the phone were gone upon arrival of LE, then it is pretty certain she was there. That seems to be the case to me, jmo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.