WI WI - Kelly Nolan, 22, Madison, 23 Jun 2007 #2

Right, Ang. I am just surprised we haven't seen his face all over the press by now tho. Aren't you? He was the last "known" person to see Kelly alive (besides his story of handing her off).

Yes, I do agree. But he will be a key witness, plus he's probably still trying to make sure he's not a POI, so at this point he'll probably keep his mouth tight shut if the police tell him to. I think it's interesting that his NAME isn't even out yet, though.

I am curious if Cafe Guy is still employed at Amy's Cafe. You would think the press would have been all over him about the case. Even though we have not seen his actual name, everyone knew where he worked.

I am thinking he is still very much a person of interest. In the early days of the investigation we heard that police had went around to several local businesses showing a sketch of the suspect (or POI whichever name you want to use). It is my guess that the sketch was developed based on Cafe Guys description of the person he handed her off to. Just a few days in, LE announced that they no longer belived the sketch was valid in the case. Which leads me to believe that they may have stopped believing the story that had them create the sketch in the first place.

I hope I am making sense here.

This is all JMO of course.

Well - if it is Cafe Guy, then I'm sure they're tracking his movements etc. Or awaiting lab results and such that can confirm him. Meanwhile, checking what other vehicles he had access to (b/c they searched his car) and on and on.

As we've mentioned before, either he's innocent or he thinks he's a brilliant criminal by coming forward and thinking that he covered his tracks so well.

Coverage from Waukesha -

http://www.gmtoday.com/news/front/topstory13.asp

"There's a killer in the community that has not been caught and the police department is working very hard to try and catch this person," police spokesman Mike Hanson said. "Until we have him in custody, we don't know his future intentions."

Hi Ella.. You are making sense to me so Im sure the others know where you are coming from. A while back on a local news station they said the person in the sketch had been accounted for. But I never did see it in print or hear anything more about it.

Two detectives from his agency and two others from the Dane County Sheriff's Department continue to work the case full-time. Police have not said whether Nolan was sexually assaulted, and the coroner has withheld her cause of death.
http://www.gmtoday.com/news/front/topstory13.asp

I guess I missed them saying they had witheld her cause of death! Did I blink or what?! Do you recall them saying that? I simply don't remember now. How strange! Why would they? What possible difference does it make how she died when the important thing is who killed her?

If there is a murder weapon involved then letting the public know the mode could also help them recover it. The PD is backwards in their thinking and handling of this case!

I guess I missed them saying they had witheld her cause of death! Did I blink or what?! Do you recall them saying that? I simply don't remember now. How strange! Why would they? What possible difference does it make how she died when the important thing is who killed her?

My guess is 2 possibilites....
1. They could be expecting to get confessions from people that did not actually commit the crime or stories from bogus witnesses. Since the public mostly knows they circumstances surrounding Kelly's disappearance, they are weeding out phonies by witholding info about the circumstances of the murder. Innocent people often confess to "notorious" crimes, and I'm sure there's also a lot of gossip (which gets back to police) that goes around with these types of crimes.

2. There could have been a sexual assault or another situation where dna was left behind. If the killer doesn't know that the police have dna, the police can possibly trap the killer into saying that he's never had contact (sexual or otherwise) with Kelly. If they catch him in that lie, and get a dna match, it gives the prosecutor a more solid case (i.e., the killer can't claim that the sex/contact was consensual).

True enough. They do keep evidence witheld for exactly those reasons.

Still, if there is a remote chance it could help them instead of hinder the investigation...I would expect them to act accordingly.

They need something else to go on to find her killer before they can charge him with anything! They can have all the evidence in the world, but if they don't have someone to match it to...they have nothing.

*bump*

Still waiting for news on Kelly.... so sad to see this on page 2

I agree it is sad, Sheila. They tried to lead us to believe they were moving on this case when in fact it is the same as during the initial investigation of finding Kelly. They had nothing and still have nothing.

When I was in Madison a couple of weeks ago I asked a few people that I know if they have heard anything new about this case. They said nadda thing. Sounds like even the rumors have died down. I sure hope Kelly isn't forgotten! Or the fact that there is still a murderer running around! Im concerned that as people forget they will get sloppy and let thier guards down. Leaving themselfs and others more vulnerable for another attack.

When I was in Madison a couple of weeks ago I asked a few people that I know if they have heard anything new about this case. They said nadda thing. Sounds like even the rumors have died down. I sure hope Kelly isn't forgotten! Or the fact that there is still a murderer running around! Im concerned that as people forget they will get sloppy and let thier guards down. Leaving themselfs and others more vulnerable for another attack.

I'm at my peak frustration with the "No News" on this. I was driving around the Capital Square last week while at work and saw Joel DeSpain walking down the sidewalk. It was all I could do not to scream something (that I would surely regret later) at him about his silence on behalf of the MPD. He's the PD spokesperson, yet he and the department say NOTHING. It's been months since they found Kelly, and they just say nothing.

We don't even know HOW SHE DIED.

What about all the returning students? What about reassuring the parents of those students that there is not some killer running loose on State Street. Oh wait! There IS! This is so frustrating.:banghead: :banghead:

I agree it is terribly frustrating! I can't imagine Kelly's poor parents now or other students' parents. Like I said before...my child would have already been pulled out of that college. They aren't safe as much as LE and the college would like to make the public believe it until this animal is caught.

They aren't going to release the COD. Is it because Kelly's murder is too closely connected with the other unsolved murders? Maybe people will begin to put 2 and 2 together to realize how much of a problem there is and how little has been done effectively to resolve the other murders?

I keep going back over the woman who was attacked on campus by the knife-wielding suspect and survived. There is no real information out there on this particular attack. It should make people think about how the college is calling the shots to protect their image.

From the WKOW website:

Nolan Family To Release More Information
This afternoon Kelly Nolan's sisters will make a statement about the ongoing case into Kelly's death.

Also Madison Police will distribute new posters with details about updated reward money being offered for information in the Nolan case.

Kelly Nolan’s body was found in a field near Oregon in July and police say Nolan’s murder remains a priority.

Nolan went missing after a night of drinking in downtown Madison back in June.

Police spokesman Joel DeSpain says some people who encountered Nolan on the night of her disappearance have been ruled out as suspects.

So far, no one has been arrested.

I hope someone comes forward. I didn't realize that the news conference would be on campus yesterday, or else I would have gone to see it in person...

Sisters of slain student appeal to public for help

Associated Press
September 18, 2007
The sisters of a slain Wisconsin college student asked the public Monday to come forward with information that could help in the search for her killer.
Kelly Nolan, 22, disappeared early June 23 after a night of bar-hopping with friends in downtown Madison. Her decomposing body was found more than two weeks later in a ditch about 10 miles south of the city.
Sisters April and Candice Nolan said they believe people in the community know what happened to their sister but have failed to contact police.
"There's not a day that goes by that we don't think about our sister Kelly," Candice Nolan, 25, told reporters. "We ask that you please find it in your heart, if anybody knows anything that may help us answer some questions as to what happened to our sister ... please come forward."
Despite the lack of visible progress in the investigation, she added she was confident police would "bring justice where justice is needed."
The pleas, during a brief news conference on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, were the first comments from Nolan's family since she was confirmed dead in July.
Police say Nolan went out with a group of friends that included her 20-year-old sister, April, on June 22. But she left them before midnight and went to other bars by herself before she vanished in the early morning hours.
A police spokesman said last month that two men who were walking Nolan home have been ruled out as suspects. Nolan was a student at UW-Whitewater but was living in downtown Madison for the summer.
Police spokesman Joel DeSpain said students who saw Nolan that night might have left town before they knew she was murdered. Those people might have information that could help detectives solve the case, he said.
DeSpain added that the department has not backed off the investigation and detectives have interviewed hundreds of people, some of them more than once.
DeSpain wouldn't reveal any potential theories on how Nolan died and said police do not have any suspects. He did say detectives do not believe the person responsible fled the area after the slaying.
"We've interviewed a lot of people who are interesting at first blush but we don't have anyone who we have tied to the crime scene," he said. "We still think this is a local homicide and the suspect who is responsible for this is someone who is connected to this community."
Police also announced they were increasing the reward for information leading to an arrest to $12,000, from $10,000. Anonymous donors offered the additional money.

I think it's interesting that the family is just coming out now to speak. I am sure their silence to date has been due to the fact that LE has asked them not to speak to the media. At least that is what happened early on with the "phone call." So the question is, why allow them to talk now? I am thinking either LE truly has run out of places or people to look at and need to ask for the public's help, or they do have a suspect(s) in mind and want that person to think they don't have a clue. Or maybe the family has put pressure on them, because they haven't seemed to have gotten any closer to solving this.

I know I am rambling, I am just trying to figure out why now!!

Another point I found interesting was the statement that said "two men who were walking Nolan home have been ruled out as suspects." I don't remember seeing that in the past, but it said it was a statement issued last month. Anyhow, when they say two men, I wonder if that means Cafe Guy and the one Cafe Guy said he handed her off to. Does anyone know if there have been others mentioned that may have walked her home? I wonder if she actually made it home and then something happened. Maybe someone came over or she left after arriving home.

Wish we knew what her last words were in the phone call. Was she at home (or the bar) and going to meet someone? Was someone coming over, etc. I am willing to bet that she mentioned someone's name and that's why the sister's were asked not to say anything.

Ok last thought. What makes the police believe that the person responsible has not fled the area after the slaying and that they are connected to the community? This makes me think they have someone on mind.

JMO of course

You make excellent points - I picked up on the 'two' men - it is something new. Also, I'm not quite sure why police are so sure the killer is in the community... and WHY they would say that!!

I personally think that Kelly's family is frustrated with the lack of progress and felt they had to do something. Next steps would be a private investigator, and a lawyer to get the police moving.

You make excellent points - I picked up on the 'two' men - it is something new. Also, I'm not quite sure why police are so sure the killer is in the community... and WHY they would say that!!

I personally think that Kelly's family is frustrated with the lack of progress and felt they had to do something. Next steps would be a private investigator, and a lawyer to get the police moving.

I agree with you about LE saying they belive the person responsible is still in the community. Wouldn't this make people concerned about their safety, especially parents that have students attending college there?

Where are the other posters from the area? What do they think about the press conference?

I missed the press conference! Glad our WSers didn't! WTG!

I have thought all along the perp is living in the community of Madison or surrounding area. It would go towards the theory of this not being an isolated case.

I do find it odd the family is just now speaking out tho. LE probably is pulling the strings on this...but I am curious about the timing. Something behind the scenes is happening and the way this police force handles things (as we are so acutely aware of now) means there is a specific reason for it.

I think they don't want to come out with the fact it could be related to the other murders in some way. Just my opinion, but it would make sense.

Ruling out Cafe guy AND the one he passed Kelly off to IS new information. Where was she now last seen? In front of her apartment? Inside of her apartment? This raises new questions entirely! If second guy walked her the rest of the way and he has been ruled out...why aren't they being open with this as well?

I hope someone comes forward. I didn't realize that the news conference would be on campus yesterday, or else I would have gone to see it in person...

Sisters of slain student appeal to public for help

Associated Press
September 18, 2007
The sisters of a slain Wisconsin college student asked the public Monday to come forward with information that could help in the search for her killer.
Kelly Nolan, 22, disappeared early June 23 after a night of bar-hopping with friends in downtown Madison. Her decomposing body was found more than two weeks later in a ditch about 10 miles south of the city.
Sisters April and Candice Nolan said they believe people in the community know what happened to their sister but have failed to contact police.
"There's not a day that goes by that we don't think about our sister Kelly," Candice Nolan, 25, told reporters. "We ask that you please find it in your heart, if anybody knows anything that may help us answer some questions as to what happened to our sister ... please come forward."
Despite the lack of visible progress in the investigation, she added she was confident police would "bring justice where justice is needed."
The pleas, during a brief news conference on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, were the first comments from Nolan's family since she was confirmed dead in July.
Police say Nolan went out with a group of friends that included her 20-year-old sister, April, on June 22. But she left them before midnight and went to other bars by herself before she vanished in the early morning hours.
A police spokesman said last month that two men who were walking Nolan home have been ruled out as suspects. Nolan was a student at UW-Whitewater but was living in downtown Madison for the summer.
Police spokesman Joel DeSpain said students who saw Nolan that night might have left town before they knew she was murdered. Those people might have information that could help detectives solve the case, he said.
DeSpain added that the department has not backed off the investigation and detectives have interviewed hundreds of people, some of them more than once.
DeSpain wouldn't reveal any potential theories on how Nolan died and said police do not have any suspects. He did say detectives do not believe the person responsible fled the area after the slaying.
"We've interviewed a lot of people who are interesting at first blush but we don't have anyone who we have tied to the crime scene," he said. "We still think this is a local homicide and the suspect who is responsible for this is someone who is connected to this community."
Police also announced they were increasing the reward for information leading to an arrest to $12,000, from $10,000. Anonymous donors offered the additional money.

Thank you nowheregirl with your local information!
I appreciate the update on this news conference. I am glad to see it was being held on campus, A/the University is supporting the Nolan's in the continued search for the killer, B/Assisting in "public awareness": That the killer is still at large in the community. At least that's something!

Also, I find it baffling the police have no clues as to who "the person of interest" is? IMO, the secrecy of this case goes back months ago upon speculation of a serial killer in the area. Critical evidence is remaining closemouthed clearly because A/they have more information than they are letting on, B/the killer has a tight alibi. :confused:

I wish they could push forward though and give us more clues, so the community can assist in finding this killer. More information would defintely help!! Not hurt the investigation!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back