Found Deceased WI - Kevin Doyle, 66, & 2 dogs (also found deceased), Rock County, 17 Mar 2021

mlhenn

Reaction score
Missing man prompts search of Storrs Lake in Rock County
upload_2021-3-17_18-27-24.jpeg

Rock County authorities are searching the area around Storrs Lake for a missing man.

In an alert sent Wednesday evening, authorities said that Kevin J. Doyle took his yellow labs for a walk and did not return home.

Doyle and his dogs, Ollie and Frank, left for their walk around 9:33 a.m.

Authorities described Doyle as 5-feet 6-inches tall, weighing 170 pounds, with gray hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue jeans and a blue jacket.

Rock County sheriff's deputies looking for missing hiker near Milton

Kevin J. Doyle, 66, was last seen near his home at 9:30 a.m. and was expected to be home at 10:30 a.m.

Doyle left his home with his two yellow Labrador retriever dogs named Holly and Frank.

Doyle's car was found in the parking lot at Storr's Lake. His residence was empty, and calls to his phone went immediately to voice mail, according to a statewide alert sent by the sheriff's office.

A "ping" of the cellphone was unsuccessful, according to the alert.

Drones and search dogs from a variety of jurisdictions were involved in the search.

Doyle has "medical issues" and a prosthetic leg, according to the alert.

Rock County sheriff's deputies looking for missing hiker near Milton

He left his house at 9:30am.
He was expected back by 10:30am.
Law enforcement officials were contacted regarding the situation at 1:35 p.m., a Rock County 911 Communications Center supervisor said.

Community members are being turned away from the scene, a Milton Courier reporter observed at the scene.

Multiple jurisdictions are at the scene, including the Whitewater Area Mounted Search and Rescue Team, Beloit Police Department and the Winnebago County, Illinois sheriff's office.

I know this is a stupid thing to say, but that’s never stopped me before, but when dogs go missing with their owners, it adds another layer of agony for me. Some threads I’m afraid to click on for that reason.

Offering up prayers that Kevin, Ollie, and Frank are found quickly and brought home safely. I can’t handle another tragedy right now. MOO

66-Year-Old Man Reported Missing in Storrs Lake Park (Update: photo added)

upload_2021-3-18_9-31-26.jpeg
photo including one of his dogs

On March 17, 2021, at 1:35 p.m., a Rock County Sheriff’s Office deputy, conducting a routine security check at Storrs Lake Park in Milton, took a report that 66-year-old Kevin
J. Doyle was missing. Prior to the report, family members had been searching for Kevin
for approximately two hours
. According to family, Kevin left his residence in Milton at
approximately 9:30 a.m. to hike the trails in Storrs Lake Park, which he does most days.
Kevin had not returned home as of 11:30 a.m., which led family members to start
searching for him.

I know this is a stupid thing to say, but that’s never stopped me before, but when dogs go missing with their owners, it adds another layer of agony for me. Some threads I’m afraid to click on for that reason.

Offering up prayers that Kevin, Ollie, and Frank are found quickly and brought home safely. I can’t handle another tragedy right now. MOO
Me too! Not just the worry for the dogs, but if someone goes missing with their dogs, to me it indicates an accident or medical emergency. If someone wanted to just disappear or was suicidal, they wouldn't bring their dogs along. IMO

Some info about the location:
Storrs Lake Wildlife Area is 753 acres (771-acre goal) located 1 mile east of Milton on E. Storrs Lake Road to main parking lot, boat landing and Ice Age Trail head.

sending prayers.......is there anyone who can verify Kevin was alone with his dogs ? Did he meet up with or encounter a fellow walker ?????? Had Kevin been having trouble with his prosthetic leg ? Maybe he had to rest it....

Kevin...I am praying for you and and the fur-buddies.....sending light and protection around you until you are all found....you are being prayed for and people care about and love you !!!!!

Rock County Sheriff's Office
1 hour ago
Despite extensive search efforts to this point, Mr. Kevin Doyle has not been located. Another foot search of the area will be conducted this afternoon at 12:30 p.m. Volunteers who are physically prepared and equipped to search the cold, wet, and windy weather conditions, in the difficult terrain of the park, are welcome to join in this effort. Parking for volunteers will be at 257 Sunnyside.
If this search does not produce results, another foot search will be conducted later in the day. If volunteers have SPECIALIZED training or equipment, they should directly contact Sergeant Shena Kohler at 608-290-6135.

RCSO updated of FB 2 hours ago - UPDATE: Work completed for today. We are no longer seeking volunteers. Thank you to all who responded and assisted.

I hate to post this. :(
Hiker remains missing, dogs found deceased
Hiker remains missing, dogs found deceased
Sheriff Troy Knudson says 66-year-old Kevin Doyle remains missing but his two dogs were found deceased in the water of Bowers Lake.

Missing Rock County hiker's dogs found dead, search for him now considered a recovery mission

And from the first link posted by @ClaireNC

Snipped
Knudson says as a result, volunteers are no longer needed to search the area, and authorities are shifting their effort, using specialized equipment to search the water.

I'm so sad to read his furry pals were found deceased. :( I hope they can located Kevin soon.

TY for the link, @K9Enzo! I am so glad the article authors included this information. I feel the need to point out this snipped and BBM section of the article b/c of some darker insinuations I've read elsewhere. :mad:

I think it's important to remember that most dogs are very loyal to their owners and will fight to their death to protect/save their best friend(s) if the animals detect danger. Additionally, Labs are innate "hunters" and will usually not stop until their intended "hunt" is successful. IMO, the dogs died "hunting" for Kevin in the lake after having realized he had an accident and needed rescuing. His dogs, as loyal as they most likely were to him, did what dogs (esp. Labs) do, jumped into the water in an effort to save their master's life. As a result they lost their lives trying. They are heroes and may they rest in eternal peace. (Insert beautiful, sparkly @PommyMommy hearts & puppy paws).

This story is very upsetting. This poor guy and his dogs. I feel sick to my stomach over it.

UPDATE: Missing man feared dead after fall through ice

Searchers found the bodies of the Labrador retrievers on the northwest side of Bowers Lake, where they apparently had fallen in and drowned, Knudson said.

Shortly before 4 p.m., a deputy found what is believe to be Doyle’s cane in the water along the shore in the same area. Doyle reportedly used a prosthetic leg.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back