WI WI - Laurie Depies, 20, Menasha, 19 Aug 1992

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48522&highlight=wilde

At the above Amber Lynn Wilde missing person thread (post #14) I showed how the Amber Lynn Wilde September, 1998 and Areerat Chuprevich April, 2003) disappearances might be related. Below I show what I believe is their connection to another Green Bay/Appleton area disappearance in August 1992; Laurie Jean Depies and the possible connection between her disappearance and Karl & Gilbert McLeod, whom I assume are brothers. Karl McLeod had once been married (and divorced) to Chantel Chuprevich, daughter from Thomas Chuprevich's previous marriage. Thomas was the husband of Areerat Chuprevich.

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access shows both of them as having lived at the same addresses, one of which was located 3 blocks from the stadium sport's bar where Wilde's vehicle was found after she disappeared. (1378 Suburban St.) Gilbert McLeod was even mentioned in the armed robbery and battery case for which Karl McLeod was sentenced to 10 years in prison for. He (Karl) then hung himself sometime after sentencing.

I also showed that Intelius.com shows Gilbert McLeod having lived in Greenleaf, WI at one time, showing that he has ties to the area where Areerat Chuprevich was found and where Karl McLeod is suspected to have placed her body.

In researching the Laurie Depies disappearance in August 1992, I found that Gilbert McLeod had worked at B. M. (Note: I chose not to list the full name of the employer and that name can be found easily in online records). Gilbert McLeod's wages were garnished 7/7/1993 from that employer according to WCCA. That same employer is currently located in Kaukauna, WI (location A below). Researching further, I found that the B. M. Company moved to the Kaukauna location about 1997.

They were previously located at 117 S. Locust St. in Appleton. Did Gilbert work at that location in August 1992? Was he working the night Laurie Depies disappeared and she probably drove by that location on her way home from the mall to her boyfriend's residence?

As you can see by clicking on my Google map link below (please allow at least 20 seconds for the map to completely load at the website), B. M. was located right between where Lauri Depies was last seen at the mall and where her car was found at her boyfriend's house. B.M. Company is right on the main route between the two locations.

I believe that the chances of Gilbert McLeod and Karl McLeod having lived or worked in the immediate areas of three disappearances and/or where the victim's vehicles were found are highly improbable to be coincidences, IMO.

It is possible that Gilbert McLeod lived in Greenleaf, WI, while he worked at B. M. in Appleton, WI, where Laurie Depies disappeared, and may have been familiar with the Cooperstown Swamp area just west of Morrison, WI, where Areerat Chuprevich's remains were found. Because both McLeod's were mentioned in the armed robbery and assault case online, in which Karl was sentenced to prison for 10 years, it may be possible that these two were also involved together in the Depies and Wilde cases or else Gilbert knows something.

There must be someone in the Green Bay/Appleton area who can connect the dots to these three cases. There are just too many connections between the three cases to dismiss them as coincidences.

If I can glean all this information just off the internet alone and I don't even live in the area, who knows what someone who is close to the case and lives in the area can contribute to helping solve the disappearances and murders? These cases are still open and there may be other(s) involved in the murders who are still out there. And by the appearances of the Appleton, WI police website, there are other young girls who are still turning up missing in the area.

The person who buried a body in the thickly wooded marsh likely has ties to the Morrison area, according to Capt. Jeff Sanborn, the county's top investigator.
"Somebody usually, if they do dump a corpse, percentages are that they dump them in a place that they're familiar with themselves," Sanborn said. "That's why we're asking for help from the community that can link Karl McLeod or the family to the southern end of Brown County and why he would possibly have gone there."

Sanborn said the case is not closed. He said someone in addition to McLeod could have been involved in the murder or in the disposal of the body.
"Nothing limits this to just one person being involved," Sanborn said. "We are going back to reinterview people we interviewed back in 2003."

He said the investigation would focus on determining if anyone else was involved in the Chuprevich murder and if McLeod might have been responsible for other unsolved missing persons cases.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...812050332/1536

So here's the link that the investigator asked for; Karl's brother, Gilbert Mcleod, lived right up the road from where Chuprevich's remains were found. He lived several blocks from where Amber Wilde's vehicle was found. He worked 1.8 miles north of where Laurie Depies vehicle was found and which is on the main route between the mall and where her vehicle was found. If these locations were all in the same town I'd pass them off as coincidence, but they're not. I'm talking of three or more different towns and a close connection to either a site where a body was found, a connection to a known suspect and a connection to the area where a victim's vehicle was found in each of these towns. There's probably more connections but I just don't know the intimate details of each case and so I can't make any more connections.

One thing that stands out in several of Karl W. McLeod's online court cases is that co-defendants and others connected to his court cases have all been charged with some type of tax evasion. It would be interesting to know what kind of state income taxes they were evading. Also, does anyone know where Karl McLeod worked in the area? Anyone know the address of where Gilbert McLeod lived in Greenleaf? Maybe there's evidence still there? Maybe there are other bodies in the area of Cooperstown Swamp where Areerat Chuprevich's remains were found? The remains were found in the middle of winter so I'm sure a more thorough area search has yet to be made.

Key below is to the five Google map locations depicted in the link at bottom of this post:

A = 1215 Hyland Ave, Kaukauna WI (Current address of B. M., Gilbert McLeod's employer)
B = 300 W Wilson Avenue, Menasha, WI (Laurie Depies vehicle found)
C = Fox River Mall, Grand Chute, Wisconsin (Laurie Depies location before her vehicle was found at location B)
D = Greenleaf, WI (former address of Gilbert McLeod)
E = Morrison, WI (town where Areerat Chuprevich was found. Actual location further west near Cooperstown Swamp)
F = 117 S. Locust St., Appleton, WI (Former location of B. M., Gilbert McLeod's employer)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1215+Hyland+Ave,+Kaukauna+WI&daddr=300+W+Wilson+Avenue,+menasha,+wi+to:Fox+River+Mall,+Grand+Chute,+Wisconsin+to:Greenleaf,+wi+to:Morrison,+WI+to:117+S.+Locust+St.,+Appleton,+wi&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=44.240772,-88.369904&sspn=0.241533,0.396194&ie=UTF8&ll=44.338583,-88.15155&spn=0.48226,0.792389&z=10

Laurie Jean Depies
Missing since August 19, 1992 from Menasha, Winnebago County, Wisconsin.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 17, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5, 115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. She may have been wearing brown contact lenses.
Marks, Scars, Tattoos: Depies has an Indian art form tattoo that looks like a squid on her right ankle. Triple pierced ears.
Clothing: Black, sleeveless, rib-knit turtleneck, with horizontal white stripes. Spandex shorts with black and white stripes; black slip-on leather shoes.
Jewelry: Silver watch worn on left wrist, multiple silver necklaces, rings, anklets, and earrings.
AKA: Loriella; Ella

Circumstances of Disappearance

Laurie Depies, of Appleton, left her job at the Graffiti Store in Fox River Mall. Depies had planned to meet her boyfriend at his apartment at 310 West Wilson Avenue, where he was waiting with his sister and a friend of Depies. About 22:15, the boyfriend heard her car's loud muffler and a door slam when she arrived home, but Depies never made it into the apartment.

When Depies did not show up at the apartment, they saw her empty vehicle and began looking for her. Eventually, they called the Town of Menasha Police Department.

Her gray 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit was located less than 40 feet from the apartment in Menasha, Wisconsin. The car was locked. A soft drink cup was found on the hood on Depies' car, but there were no other signs of her at the scene. There was no evidence in the parking lot that Depies was taken forcibly.

At the time, Laurie liked Stephen King novels and was interested in Eastern religion and fashion.

Many of Depies’ friends, including her boyfriend, took lie detector tests and passed as police tried to sort out possible angles and suspects.

Foul play is possible.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Menasha Police Department
920-720-7109

Agency Case Number: 92-2912-J-400
NCIC Number: M-098391481

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
Post-Crescent
Myfox Milwaukee
The Doe Network: Case File 604DFWI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/604dfwi.html

I sure wish you expert sleuthers could solve this one!

I am so happy to see the renewed interest in this case. I live 80 miles north of the Fox Valley. I often suspected David Spanbauer in Laurie's case, he is the person responsible for the deaths of Cora Jones and Ronelle Eichstedt. He has since died in prison.

Sleuth on my friends!

So glad to see this case getting some interest! I'm in Milwaukee county,BTW. Another case that has always bothered me....the unsolved murder of Berit Beck.

Someone has confessed to her abduction and murder, I'll link shortly

just heard that in the news...immediately thought of WS :) Thought I'd update here, but you did! :)

Was just coming here to report this. Praying for closure for Laurie's family.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110703/GPG0101/107030625/Search-under-way-Laurie-Depies-remains?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|GPG-News

Search under way for Laurie Depies' remains
Police focus on remote site in southern Wisconsin

11:14 PM, Jul. 3, 2011

Police are searching in south-central Wisconsin for the remains of Laurie Depies in an effort to verify Larry DeWayne Hall's confession that he abducted and killed the Appleton woman in 1992.

Town of Menasha Police Lt. Mike Krueger told Gannett Wisconsin Media that a team of plainclothes law enforcement authorities have spent three days digging for evidence of Depies — or other potential victims of Hall — at an undisclosed remote location.

More at article, including a slideshow of pictures of Laurie and the investigation. Heartbreaking to see some of the pictures, she looks so pretty and happy.

Our local paper, the Antigo Daily Journal, has a front page article stating the Town of Menasha LE is bringing Larry DeWayne Hall out of prison to show where Laurie is buried. Can someone help link the article?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back