WI WI - Lisa Christine Staes, 21, murdered, traveled from Oak Park IL, Baraboo, 1976

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by BooImAGhost, Feb 15, 2021.

1. BooImAGhost

BooImAGhost New Member

I'm hoping to find more information regarding the 1976 murder of Lisa Christine Staes.

Lisa was from Leawood Kansas, had travelled to Oak Park Illinois, and was found a year later naked and frozen in a creek in a rural area near Baraboo, WI. Lisa was 21 when she was killed and it was believed by law enforcement that she was smothered to death.

Lisa was a Jane Doe for a long time and was buried in a rural cemetery near North Freedom, WI before she was identified. Below I will list all of the information I have found regarding her case, there is not much. Any help is much appreciated.

20 May 1977, 1 - Wisconsin State Journal at Newspapers.com

Lisa Christine Staes (1955-1976) - Find A Grave...

Search

2. Quoththeraven

Quoththeraven Active Member

I wonder what came out of that investigation in Chicago and it would be interesting to see what her cousin had to say about it since she was the last known person to see her alive that night.

UNSOLVED HOMICIDE LISA C. STAES (20-Years-Old) On January 24, 1976, a local Baraboo resident was trout fishing at Harrison Creek in the Township of Delton, Sauk County, Wisconsin, and discovered the body of a young woman under the Mirror Lake Road Bridge. On May 13, 1977, the woman was identified as Lisa C. Staes, age 20, from Leawood, Kansas. The investigation into her death at that time took investigators to Chicago, Illinois, where she was last seen alive. At the time, she was staying with a cousin in Oak Park, Illinois. The last night she was seen alive was on January 13, 1976, when she had gone out with another cousin. If you have any information about this case, please contact the Sauk County Sheriff’s Department in Baraboo, Wisconsin at 608-356-4895

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...-11e0-a440-001cc4c002e0/4e33849d844c3.pdf.pdf

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  3. cpeacock1

cpeacock1 Verified family member - Allison Renee Smith case

@BoolmAGhost WELCOME!!

Interesting case. Baraboo...I lived there once. Beautiful small town. There is another case (can’t remember the name) of a young man found deceased in the Baraboo River.

@Quoththeraven - yes the cousin should be able to shed some light on this case.

4. Quoththeraven

The above link I gave shows several unsolved Baraboo-related cases. Yours is maybe mentioned there.

5. BooImAGhost

BooImAGhost New Member

Interesting! Thank you, I didn't find this information in my original search.

coffeeandacig and Quoththeraven like this.
  6. BooImAGhost

BooImAGhost New Member

It's a great town, I enjoy it :) There are a lot of unsolved cases in the area, actually one from last year...it's odd to be such a small town but little intel on some of the weird things that have happened here.

coffeeandacig and Quoththeraven like this.
  7. Quoththeraven

Come a little north. Lots of young girls missing recently. These aren't all runaways.

Without a trace: The missing people of central Wisconsin - Wausau Pilot & Review

coffeeandacig likes this.
  8. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member