NOTGUILTY WI - Selah Kaden, 13, Suspicious Death, Mineral Point, 31 May 2018 *arrests*

Seems like a lot of kids are dying from "falls" this month. <sarcasm>

I think we'll soon hear even more horror stories about what went on in that home. An article I linked upthread mentioned Selah was placed with the Barrys by some sort of church involvement. If that's true I'd like to hear more about that.

And I don't believe a word the women are saying about the numerous falls; IMO they were "disciplining" her, either for "religious" purposes or just plain old evilness.

There are any number of children with emotional trauma issues that are related to adoption. The treatment of these children is a specialized and changing field.
Years ago, children with attachment disorder were seen as "uncurable" and the kinds of behaviors often escalated. It is the reason that I posted a question about the therapist and the modality. Too many adopted (and non-adopted) children wind up in abusive situations where the adults "try to muscle through" or become so overly controlling that the behaviors (and the trust issues) don't resolve. Parents, caregivers and children can be helped or alternative settings can be found. The kids may become physically scary or out of control or wind up dead based on the actions of adults. I believe this may have happened here. Below are resources for anyone to check out based on trauma and attachment disorder treatment. (Adoption Trauma and the Healing Role of EMDR Therapy, https://evolvetreatment.com/blog/ad...ffect-of-early-trauma-on-adopted-adolescents/, and Reactive Attachment Disorder Management and Treatment | Cleveland Clinic)

Thank you all for keeping this thread up to date, and Selah's memory alive. What a tragedy. I remember when it happened, but it was all so hush-hush that I forgot about it. I am wondering if any of it will make the statewide news (I am on the opposite side of the state)?

And, it has been stated in the articles about Selah that one of her siblings had also been placed with the Barry family for a period of time.

On another note, I have not yet found social media for either of the accused or Selah.

I was here in the beginning. The accused both 100% had Facebook pages because I was on them! I just looked and they are no where to be found now. The 911 caller has an interesting past also.. maybe nothing to do with this case but still interesting.

Tuesday, July 9th:
*Initial Appearance (@ 4pm CT) – WI – Selah Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point) - *Laurie D. Barry (50) & Alexis E. Barry (27) charged (6/24/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B).
6/24/19: Have NOT been arrested, just charged. Initial appearance scheduled for both on 7/9.
The victim was a child adopted from China by a North Carolina couple David & Lisa Kaden. She was staying with the Barry family in Mineral Point because of a medical problem involving one of the family's other children. The arrangement wasn't approved by social workers or any government entity.

Tuesday, July 9th:
*Initial Appearance (@ 4pm CT) – WI – Selah Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point) - *Laurie D. Barry (50) & Alexis E. Barry (27) charged (6/24/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B).
6/24/19: Have NOT been arrested, just charged. Initial appearance scheduled for both on 7/9.
The victim was a child adopted from China by a North Carolina couple David & Lisa Kaden. She was staying with the Barry family in Mineral Point because of a medical problem involving one of the family's other children. The arrangement wasn't approved by social workers or any government entity.

Here's the Criminal Complaint:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-5f07-afe3-78f18c2f67cd/5d128b910e49b.pdf.pdf

I'm not able to cut and paste from the PDF for some reason so read it for yourselves to get the whole story. The short version:

The Kadens used to live in Wisconsin and knew the Barrys. They moved to NC in 2011. In 2014 the Barrys provided respite care for Selah's older sister.

April 2017 Selah began receiving psychiatric treatment, including meds. By August her behavior worsened and they applied for respite care in NC.

In 2018 another one of the Kadens' children needed surgery and would require long term care. The NC respite care provider was unable to provide long term respite for Selah so the Kadens again asked the Barrys to help.

David Kaden brought Selah to the Barrys on April 24, 2018, to spend the summer.

May 24, 2018 was the last time Selah's mom spoke to her by phone.

Laurie Barry stated that during May 28, 29 and 30 Selah fell and self-injured multiple times. On May 31 she had a particularly serious fall. Alexis and Laurie Barry checked on Selah throughout the day. When Jesse Barry (who has not been charged) arrived home he determined that 911 be called.

There's much, much more in the doc (6 pages).

Reckless homicide is a legal term I haven’t heard before. In Wisconsin, it seems to be the equivalent of 2nd degree murder?

Wisconsin Legislature: 940.02

940.02  First-degree reckless homicide.
(1)  Whoever recklessly causes the death of another human being under circumstances which show utter disregard for human life is guilty of a Class B felony.

So—I suspect that it’s fairly believable—they showed “utter disregard for human life” without specifically wanting to kill her.

I don’t know what the sentencing guidelines are, but I hope they’d get the very max possible :mad::mad::mad:

For both

Date Time Location Description Type Court official
07-12-2019 03:45 pm Iowa County Courthouse Hearing Court Koehler, Margaret M.

09-12-201901:00 pm Iowa County Courthouse Motion hearing Court Koehler, Margaret M.

10-08-2019 08:30 am Iowa County Courthouse Preliminary Hearing Court Koehler, Margaret M.

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

I was here in the beginning. The accused both 100% had Facebook pages because I was on them! I just looked and they are no where to be found now. The 911 caller has an interesting past also.. maybe nothing to do with this case but still interesting.
Yes, they did. I remember sleuthing them as well. I believe it has something to do with the church. MOO.

Records show suspicions about third person in Iowa Co. teen’s homicide

DODGEVILLE (WKOW) – Unsealed court records show investigators were suspicious of the actions of a third person in connection to a 13-year old Town of Mineral Point girl’s homicide.
[.....]
A search warrant return shows items seized from the home included a black jack – which authorities allege may have been used against the girl – but also a stethoscope.

The affidavit details the third family member’s return home and actions with the teen, after the Barry women had been monitoring the girl’s condition.

“The surrogate father used his stethoscope and listened for heart sounds and they were normal. Detective Fitzsimmons believes that this is inconstant (sic) with the lower body temperature,” the affidavit states. The affidavit says less than two hours after this examination, the teenager was pronounced dead, with her body temperature extremely low. Court records say authorities believed the girl was likely dead at the time the stethoscope was used.
[.....]
The attorney for the Barry women is expected to push for dismissal of their charges in a court hearing scheduled in September. Laurie Barry and Alexis Barry remain free on signature bonds.

Records show suspicions about third person in Iowa Co. teen’s homicide

DODGEVILLE (WKOW) – Unsealed court records show investigators were suspicious of the actions of a third person in connection to a 13-year old Town of Mineral Point girl’s homicide.
[.....]
A search warrant return shows items seized from the home included a black jack – which authorities allege may have been used against the girl – but also a stethoscope.

The affidavit details the third family member’s return home and actions with the teen, after the Barry women had been monitoring the girl’s condition.

“The surrogate father used his stethoscope and listened for heart sounds and they were normal. Detective Fitzsimmons believes that this is inconstant (sic) with the lower body temperature,” the affidavit states. The affidavit says less than two hours after this examination, the teenager was pronounced dead, with her body temperature extremely low. Court records say authorities believed the girl was likely dead at the time the stethoscope was used.
[.....]
The attorney for the Barry women is expected to push for dismissal of their charges in a court hearing scheduled in September. Laurie Barry and Alexis Barry remain free on signature bonds.
The third person hasn't yet been named but the description in the article appears to refer to a third person named in the Criminal Complaint:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-5f07-afe3-78f18c2f67cd/5d128b910e49b.pdf.pdf

We can't discuss the third person here until they are named as a suspect or arrested but we are allowed to sleuth privately as long as we don't bring to the thread what we find.

Iowa County Sheriff's Office SM released their public statement on June 6th.

Wondering how much money is involved with this kid's case being kept under the radar, would a poor family's child receive the same silent treatment or be somehow implicated in their own fate?

If LE doesn't want to field these questions, perhaps throw the dogs a bone, and they'll leave well enough alone.

That is a preposterous accusation. I assume that you mean that a large amount of public money is being spent on the investigation because of the family’s social status? And that a poor family would get a cursory glance?

Tell me where that has happened before.

That is a preposterous accusation. I assume that you mean that a large amount of public money is being spent on the investigation because of the family’s social status? And that a poor family would get a cursory glance?

Tell me where that has happened before.

Tell me where on the doll this post touched you.

Neither of us are such simpletons to play this passive aggressive game of politics when an innocent's life is forfeit and all hands have been tied to honor it.

Thursday, Sept. 12th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1pm CT) – WI – Selah Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point) - *Laurie D. Barry (50) & Alexis E. Barry (27) charged (6/24/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B). $250K Signature bond.
7/9/19 Update: $250K signature bond - no possession of any dangerous weapons; no contact with D.K., L.K., or any other immediate member of the K family or their residence; booking at the ICSO by July 12, 2019. Motions anticipated prior to preliminary hearing. Defense requests time to submit those motions. Atty Brophy to file motions by 7/26. State response(s) due by 8/16. Next motions hearing on 9/12 & preliminary hearing on 10/8 for both.

Thursday, Sept. 12th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1pm CT) – WI – Selah Kaden (13) (May 31, 2018, Mineral Point) - *Laurie D. Barry (50) & Alexis E. Barry (27) charged (6/24/19) with 1st degree reckless homicide (as a party to crime-Felony B). $250K Signature bond.
7/9/19 Update: $250K signature bond - no possession of any dangerous weapons; no contact with D.K., L.K., or any other immediate member of the K family or their residence; booking at the ICSO by July 12, 2019. Motions anticipated prior to preliminary hearing. Defense requests time to submit those motions. Atty Brophy to file motions by 7/26. State response(s) due by 8/16. Next motions hearing on 9/12 & preliminary hearing on 10/8 for both.
Horrifying. This is the second case of a child adopted from China who ends up dead at the hands of her guardians. The other one was Asunta Basterra Porto in Spain. My SIL who is also Spanish adopted a little girl from China. She never had an issue with her although she was found abandoned on the streets of Beijing when she was approximately a year old. These poor kids deserve so much more.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back