WI - Sherry Asbury, 34, murdered in Fox Lake PD lobby, 11 March 2007

lisag

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/APC0101/703130600/1003/APCnews

FOX LAKE — A Waupun woman found dead in the lobby of the Fox Lake Police Department on Sunday afternoon died of strangulation and blunt force trauma to the chest, according to autopsy results.

An autopsy on the body of Sherry L. Asbury was performed Monday afternoon in the Fond du Lac County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said the chest trauma was likely caused by blows delivered by her estranged husband, Jeffrey A. Asbury, 40, of Fond du Lac.

Asbury is expected to face homicide charges this afternoon in Dodge County Circuit Court for the alleged killing of his wife, Nehls said.

According to witnesses, Asbury rammed his car into the front of her car in the Municipal Building parking lot. Sherry Asbury fled her husband on foot, according to a Dodge County Sheriff’s Department report

Sad...

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/FON0101/70312124/1985

Woman was apparently killed in Fox Lake police lobby

By Colleen Kottke
The Reporter ckottke@fdlreporter.com

FOX LAKE — A Waupun woman who fled to the lobby of the Fox Lake Police Department for help was killed there allegedly at the hands of her estranged husband, according to police reports.

A Fox Lake police officer was on the scene in less than a minute after the 911 call was placed, but it was too late for Sherry Asbury, 34, of 152 Olmstead St., according to a Dodge County Sheriff’s Department report.

Her husband, Jeffrey A. Asbury, 40, of 214 Harrison Place, No. 68, is being held in the Dodge County Jail on a charge of felony fleeing an officer, according to a press release. He is expected to make an initial court appearance today in Dodge County Circuit Court.

Asbury has not been arrested for his wife’s death and is being held “as a suspect only” in her homicide, said Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls.

Sherry Asbury may have died of blunt force trauma and strangulation, said Fox Lake Police Chief Patrick Lynch. Autopsy results are expected Tuesday.

Nehls, a resident of Fox Lake, said it was apparent at the scene the woman died of foul play.

Sherry Asbury was found unresponsive on the floor in the lobby of the Fox Lake Municipal Building/Police Department Sunday.

Two pedestrians enjoying the balmy weather Sunday afternoon near Fox Lake Elementary School, observed Jeffrey Asbury ram his wife’s car in the parking lot and called 911 around 4:45 p.m., according to the report. Witnesses observed him chasing her on foot around the east side of the building out of their view.

As Jeffrey Asbury ran to his car, Fox Lake Police Department Officer James Perkins confronted him. He fled and the officer deployed a Taser, according to the report. Asbury jumped into his car and drove off, heading east on Highway 68 towards Waupun. He lost control of his car as he turned left onto Oaks Road and crashed into a ditch where he was arrested.

“The man (Asbury) was quite agitated at the time. After he was read his rights, the officer asked him where the woman was. He replied that she was dead, lying on the floor of the police department,” said Lynch.

Perkins noticed the man’s hands were covered in blood, Nehls said.

Lynch said Sherry Asbury, a graduate of Waupun High School, was in her car trying to get away from the man, but he found her west of Fox Lake near the intersection of Highways 73 and 33.

“She drove back into Fox Lake and thought she had lost him while ducking down some of the back streets,” Lynch said.

Venturing onto Highway 68, Sherry Asbury saw him driving straight at her car. She backed quickly into the municipal building parking lot, Lynch said.

As Perkins arrived at the Municipal Building five minutes later, emergency personnel from the Fox Lake EMS and the Dodge County Sheriff’s Department arrived at the scene. They found Sherry Asbury in the lobby and attempts to revive her were unsuccessful. She was pronounced dead at Beaver Dam Community Hospital.

More at link

lisag said:
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/APC0101/703130600/1003/APCnews

FOX LAKE — A Waupun woman found dead in the lobby of the Fox Lake Police Department on Sunday afternoon died of strangulation and blunt force trauma to the chest, according to autopsy results.

An autopsy on the body of Sherry L. Asbury was performed Monday afternoon in the Fond du Lac County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said the chest trauma was likely caused by blows delivered by her estranged husband, Jeffrey A. Asbury, 40, of Fond du Lac.

Asbury is expected to face homicide charges this afternoon in Dodge County Circuit Court for the alleged killing of his wife, Nehls said.

According to witnesses, Asbury rammed his car into the front of her car in the Municipal Building parking lot. Sherry Asbury fled her husband on foot, according to a Dodge County Sheriff’s Department report

Sad...
and the witnesses...just what?? then she is killed in a police station, and no one notices? :confused:

Probably the best article, also has a link to the listen to the 911 call..

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703130490

FOX LAKE — A Waupun woman who fled to the lobby of the Fox Lake Police Department for help was killed there, allegedly at the hands of her estranged husband, according to police reports.

A Fox Lake police officer was on the scene in less than a minute after the 911 call was placed late Sunday afternoon, but it was too late for Sherry Asbury, 34, of 152 Olmstead St., according to a Dodge County Sheriff's Department report

j2mirish said:
and the witnesses...just what?? then she is killed in a police station, and no one notices? :confused:
It seemed like from what I read - there was no one inside to help her or that saw anything. Seems weird...

The police dept building though is also the municipal building and everything else, so that might be part of it.

That's pretty brazen! He killed her AT the police station? That's disturbing...

hipmamajen said:
That's pretty brazen! He killed her AT the police station? That's disturbing...
Well, the outside door was unlocked but the inside door was locked and she was trapped with the only cop on duty away from the scene. He looks like a tough one too. Too bad she wasn't where there was someone to help her. How frightening that must have been! I wonder if they have children.

The City of Fox Lake Police Department consists of three full-time police officers and 3 part-time officers: A Chief of Police, and two patrolmen who are dedicated to making Fox Lake a safe place to live and play. The department provides 24 hour police protection with assistance, on an as needed basis, from Dodge County Sheriff’s Department.
http://www.cityoffoxlake.org/departments.cfm?passid=10

It sounds to me like the Police Department is probably not staffed 24hrs a day. Dispatching is probably handled by 911 at another location so no dispatchers in the building. By this happening on a Sunday that would cut back even more employees who might have been in the building on a weekday.
Poor lady, she probably thought there would be someone inside that could protect her.

He looks like he's smiling slightly in his mug shot. Almost like he's satisfied. Makes me wonder how some people come to the decision that slaughtering whoever is defying them or in their way somehow is worth whatever consequences they face after their actions. Maybe they think they've won somehow. Very disturbing.

Oh I feel so for her.. it must have been incredibly terrifying to be chased and then think you have reached some semblance of saftey at the police office only to die in the lobby..

Apparently they have 3 children at home.. and now there are no parents .. between a father who so viciously killed their mother and the Mother who is now dead...I hope that the children are with someone who can provide the love and support they will need.. and get them in to counseling asap.

I had a family that lived in my neighborhood growing up whose daughter (older than i was) married a doctor and lived in california underwent a divorce many years later..with children the youngest was 5 at the time. He murdered her in the courthouse in front of the daughter. It was incredibly tragic.. thankfully her parents gained custody and raised the children on the east coast.. away from all the bad memories.. but the little girl had many years of counseling. Thankfully her parents were able to get custody.. his fought them for along time. They had retired and all their kids were riased but they wanted to be darn cetrtain that they were safe.. used most of their retirement savings to add on to their house and for anything the children needed.
Hopefully someone equally wonderful will be there for these 3 children.

:eek: :eek: WOW, killed inside the lobby of a police station.. :( :( I can't believe no one was in that lobby. Gosh, we are not even safe in a police station :( and they had 3 kids :( :( :( :( Prayers for those kids

This is terrible. I can't even imagine how terrified the mother was. This police station is typical of small town police stations. You can get in one door but that is it. Then you have to pick up a phone and explain what you want and if you are lucky someone will come to the door within 10-15 minutes. It is no place to get any help. On weekends no one is there.

It sounds like there was no where for this woman to run to in order to get help. He would have been right behind her no matter where she tried to hide.
I wonder how many times police had been called to their home. It sounds like she got the courage to leave him but he wasn't having any of that. Typical controll freak.

I hope LE have enough experience to recognize this as a murder and the guy is brought to justice.

there ya go..the face of another rabid dog killing the mother of his children.
There is something terribly wrong with our society/species that so much of this is happening!

opme said:
Apparently they have 3 children at home.. and now there are no parents .. between a father who so viciously killed their mother and the Mother who is now dead...I hope that the children are with someone who can provide the love and support they will need.. and get them in to counseling asap.
... Hopefully someone equally wonderful will be there for these 3 children.
WI has a "slayer" custody law - I would guess most states do. Basically - if you kill your kid's mother, you don't get to raise the kids. I also believe presumption goes to the wife's parents, but the crazy dad's parents can try to prove themselves worthy as well.

There are a couple cases in WI on this issue...

Crim check turns up almost nothing. He's had a lot of filings against him for monetary judgments, but no criminal history that pulls up.

However, it looks like they were divorced and remarried or something. She had filed for support in 1992, 1994 and then 2003.

Money problems and violent action w/ no crim history makes me think possibly drugs. I recently told hubby that if I ever saw any hallucenogenic drugs w/ him, I'd leave him b/c he is simply too big to be out of control and unpredictable.

Good article with details of what happened that day:
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070314/FON0101/703140490

<snip>

Asbury called his wife 10 to 20 times, and at one point, allegedly threatened to kill her, their three children, her mother and himself, according to the complaint. Asbury had also asked that same friend to accompany him to Fox Lake and Portage in an attempt to learn the whereabouts of Sherry Asbury.

"Residents Donald Klug and Julie Flemming wonder if the woman ran to the Municipal Building seeking help, only to find a locked door.

"There is very often the misconception that police departments in small communities can man a 24-hour operation inside their building. That's unrealistic," said Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls. "I can't guarantee that you'll find a law enforcement officer on the premises at all times even at the Sheriff's Department."

Fox Lake Mayor Gerald Mullins said the city has one full-time police officer on duty at all times.

"Sure, we would like to have two or three officers out on the streets or in the Police Department 24 hours a day, but the people wouldn't be willing to pay the increase in taxes to support it."

Following Sunday's apparent homicide, residents are questioning the mayor's upcoming recommendation to dissolve the Fox Lake Police Department. "

Small Town U.S.A.

I live in a small town and there are other small towns around me. In a small town, the worst possible thing you can do is to go to the police station at night or on the weekend. They aren't staffed 24 hr. the budget just won't allow it and the officers are supposed to be patrolling the town not sitting in the office. If I was desperate like this woman was, then yes I might try it. But I know it probably wouldn't get me help.
The town had been talking about dismantling the PD. But their offiicer was reported to be on scene within 48 sec of receiving the call. If the department had been dismantled, the time would have been much greater. And even though they say it was 48 sec, that is not taking into account how long it took the bystanders to decide to call and find a phone. It isn't taking into account how long it took to tell the dispatcher what they saw.
But what it really comes down to is that the man had decided to kill her, and he didn't intend to let anything or anyone to stop him. When he got her cornered, he didn't stop to talk- he did what he went there to do. When she was down, he left.
To get emergency attention in a small town drive into town and keep your hand on the horn.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back