WI - Sylville Smith, 23, fatally shot by Milwaukee PD officer, 13 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

Here's the Topic.

Violence erupts in Milwaukee after deadly officer-involved shooting

It's always great to hear an alderman inciting more violence before anybody knows what really happened.

In the beginning she was with her drug addicted parents, then her drug addicted mother, then foster homes. Not a predictor of good outcome

She was adopted when still a young child, which no doubt changed her outcome.

Trident, why don't you start by telling us what these differences are? I was raised on the belief that we are all the same so it would be very interesting to hear what one percieves these differences are that we must realize and admit to.

I don't know why you think we are "all the same". There are people who get up in the morning and go deliver meals on wheels, and there are people who get up in the morning planning to go looking for cars to steal. It's not divided on gender or racial lines, it's character lines. Those people who were out there in the late hours destroying property are not the "meals on wheelers". They're the car jackers.

Wait. On second thought, it is divided by gender lines, actually.

Here's the Topic.

Violence erupts in Milwaukee after deadly officer-involved shooting

And let us not put all people living in that area of Milwaukee in the same category. Otherwise, we should say anyone who was at a post game event where cars were burned down as needing to be put down like a rabid dog.

The local Aldermen were not even pretending like the riots were because of the shooting that night of the fleeing armed suspect. They did not even mention that. They said it was because the local s were so oppressed that they were not putting up with it anymore:

"This is a warning cry," Milwaukee Alderman Khalif Rainey said. "Black people of Milwaukee are tired. They are tired of living under this oppression."

The news conference ended with Aldermen Russell W. Stamper II and Khalif Rainey delivering strongly worded statements about the disturbance springing from the frustrations of black Milwaukeeans and the problems they face.
... He said Sherman Park had become “a powder keg” this summer, and ended his remarks by implying that downtown could be the site of disturbances if the issues facing African-Americans here not addressed.
“This entire community has sat back and witnessed how Milwaukee, Wis., has become the worst place to live for African-Americans in the entire country,” Rainey said. “Now this is a warning cry. Where do we go from here? Where do we go as a community from here?

“Do we continue – continue with the inequities, the injustice, the unemployment, the under-education, that creates these byproducts that we see this evening? … The black people of Milwaukee are tired.
They’re tired of living under this oppression. This is their existence. This is their life. This is the life of their children.
“Now what has happened tonight may have not been right; I’m not justifying that. But no one can deny the fact that there’s problems, racial problems, here in Milwaukee, Wis., that have to be closely, not examined, but rectified. Rectify this immediately. Because if you don’t, this vision of downtown, all of that, you’re one day away. You’re one day away.”

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...rt-1-dead-officer-involved-shooting/88689152/

I tried to quote one of the previous posts, but failed. What is the Alderman talking about ? Can he give examples of the inequality and oppression ? I honestly don't understand what he means. I think everyone who is rioting is going with the crowd , not thinking about the unfair situation they are living in.

And let us not put all people living in that area of Milwaukee in the same category. Otherwise, we should say anyone who was at a post game event where cars were burned down as needing to be put down like a rabid dog.

Although it is a false equivalency to compare criminal acts arising out of drunken celebration with criminal acts arising out of ethnic intimidation, I do agree with the overall point that these are all cases that usually involve young people who are capable of change when they are held accountable and provided guidance and support.

Jumping off this post.

Just hearing and reading about this, have to add. How dare anyone, media or individual call these Protesters!!!! This is a riot, the participants are criminals and arsonists engaged in a felony. LE has video of these crimes, and those involved should be charged with attempt murder. I will start a letter writing campaign locally. When a person starts a building on fire, or throws a brick at a person they know their actions could be deadly. If they don't know, then that person is a danger to society and should be in a mental institution for an extremely long time. It's time to take back our country....legally.

August 14, 2016
12:30 AM EDT

Latest: Milwaukee Police Try Again to Disperse Protesters

The Latest on unrest in Milwaukee following a police shooting that left one man dead (all times local):
11:15 p.m.

Police in Milwaukee are trying again to disperse protesters on the city's north side in the wake of a man's fatal police shooting.

Some 100 protesters skirmished with officers Saturday night, hours after an officer shot and killed a 23-year-old man whom police said was armed and had run from a traffic stop.

Police say it's not clear whether the man pointed the gun at or fired at officers.

Police said in a tweet that officers were moving into an intersection and asking the crowd to disperse peacefully, but rocks were being thrown at officers.

The department said in earlier tweets that one officer was injured by a thrown brick, a squad car had its windows smashed and another one was set on fire.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-milwaukee-officer-hit-brick-shooting-aftermath-41367976

I tried to quote one of the previous posts, but failed. What is the Alderman talking about ? Can he give examples of the inequality and oppression ? I honestly don't understand what he means. I think everyone who is rioting is going with the crowd , not thinking about the unfair situation they are living in.

I'm interested too. I do get that the schools are apparently not functioning to educate the kids, and that is something concrete that can be worked on. The other accusations are just too vague to be actionable - what injustices and inequities?

Name of man shot by police Sylville Smith. Mother says he had 'license to carry' but cops say the gun was stolen?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...e-subject-witness-intimidation-case/88721094/

And the handgun had 23 rounds STILL in it, according to numerous sources. Whatever it is, it's a high capacity magazine-- probably something like a glock 18 magazine that holds 33 rounds ("happy stick"), and will fit in other glock 9mm pistols. (Wisconsin has no limit on magazine capacity.)

Nobody has that kind of magazine by mistake-- they are relatively hard to come by in that you don't walk into a store and buy them. They're available online. Here's an example online for $34. But as the handgun was stolen, and 500 rounds of ammunition were stolen at the same time, it's a good bet that the magazine was stolen, too.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/glock18-33rnd-magazine.aspx#.V7CykJjysgc

Governor Walker has granted the request by the police chief, and called up the Wisconsin National Guard to help with peacekeeping in Milwaukee.

Posted: Aug 14, 2016 10:15 AM CDT
Updated: Aug 14, 2016 1:04 PM CDT

UPDATE: (AP) -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker activates National Guard to help if needed after night of Milwaukee unrest.
Meanwhile, Sunday morning President Obama was updated about the situation in Milwaukee while on vacation in Martha's Vineyard. His Senior Advisor, Valerie Jarrett, spoke with Milwaukee Mayor Barrett. Jarrett offered federal support for local authorities. President Obama requested that he be kept up to date with new developments in Milwaukee.

http://www.wkow.com/story/32754796/...-national-guard-requested-in-milwaukee-unrest

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-wisconsin-police-idUSKCN10P06W
The Latest: Governor Activates National Guard in Milwaukee
Walker says he took the step after receiving a request from Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke and talking with Mayor Tom Barrett and the Guard's leader. His announcement says the Guard will be in position to help "upon request."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-volunteers-cleaning-milwaukee-violence-41372081

MAN KILLED BY MILWAUKEE OFFICER ID'D AS CLEAN UP CONTINUES

The 23-year-old man shot and killed by a Milwaukee Police officer on Saturday evening has been identified by his father as Sylville Smith.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/man-killed-by-milwaukee-officer-idd-as-clean-up-continues/1469291/

Mug shot of Sylville Smith from July 2014.

http://jail.com/arrest-records/sylville-smith-8181826

Police said in a press release that the 23-year-old man who was fatally shot had a “lengthy arrest record.”

A search of Wisconsin court records revealed several arrests, but only one misdemeanor conviction for Sylville Smith. His record also included traffic offenses. No felony convictions were found.

The misdemeanor conviction, for carrying a concealed weapon, came in July 2014. He pleaded guilty to the charge and was fined $443 and ordered to serve one day in jail.

His record also included guilty findings on traffic offenses for speeding, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, possession of open intoxicants in a motor vehicle and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.

Smith was arrested in 2015 on a charge of intimidating a witness by a person charged with a felony, which is itself a felony offense. The case was dropped later that year by the prosecutor.

He was also charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety, a felony, and misdemeanor possession of THC earlier in 2015. Those charges were dismissed by a judge based on a motion by the defense.

According to the Journal Sentinel, both cases stemmed from a February 2015 shooting in which he was a suspect.

Smith was accused of calling his girlfriend from jail to tell her to call the victim in the shooting case to get him to fill out a sworn affidavit saying Smith didn’t commit the crime, according to court documents obtained by the Journal Sentinel.

The victim recanted his identification of Smith and the case was dropped after the victim did not show up to court and was uncooperative, the newspaper reports.

In 2013, Smith was charged with retail theft, but that case as also dropped by the prosecutor.

A friend of Sylville Smith, Nefataria Gordon, told the Journal Sentinel that he “was a nice, good person. He was really respected. That’s why everyone came out. They’re angry.”

Smith was shot six times in a previous shooting, his family said. Details of that incident were not immediately available.

According to his Facebook page, Smith was the father of a 2-year-old son.

“I’m not going to say he was an angel. He was out here living his life,” his godmother, Katherine Mahmoud, told the Journal Sentinel.

“He was always kind of a troubled kid,” Darin Ware, who worked at the local Boys & Girls Club, where Smith went while growing up in the Sherman Park neighborhood of MIlwuakee..

http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/sylvi...k-photos-pictures-video-mother-sister-family/

I don't know why you think we are "all the same". There are people who get up in the morning and go deliver meals on wheels, and there are people who get up in the morning planning to go looking for cars to steal. It's not divided on gender or racial lines, it's character lines. Those people who were out there in the late hours destroying property are not the "meals on wheelers". They're the car jackers.

Wait. On second thought, it is divided by gender lines, actually.

When I speak about being "all the same", I am speaking about inherently. Of course there are "differences", but everybody already "realizes" these differences and therefore there is nothing for us to "admit to".

I am trying to figure out what differences Trident was talking about that apparently none of us are aware of?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back