Widespread power outages with several inches of snow in Texas and the US, Feb 2021

How many that moved/lived in Texas knew that this was a potential issue at all as to the fact they aren't on the national grid?

So many things that normal folks don't know about and are ignorant of. (I've said that many times about myself as to the Jan 6th event and government, so that ignorant comment is NOT a slam)
I would think super backup generators would be a given. I worked along time with DOD in the DMIL programs. Generators were the main need for county and state agencies. We were required to plan accordingly and always pull from the military surplus all year long to anticipate needs. I never dreamed of this sort of failure. But somebody should have. moo

The insulation required to make air conditioning work should do fine in cold weather. But there may be problems such as water lines not protected from the cold and heating systems that can only handle moderate weather.

I Respectfully disagree. I lived in an apartment in Miami, and when it got cold, it was impossible to get that place warm. Maybe it is because it was an older building.

I am in East TX. Finally got power on last night after a few days of having power for 5 to 20 min and then out for hours. We got the dogs and cat in the car to run the heater. (Open carport). My chickens, goat and my two pot belly pigs are still alive. Last night the water pipe burst upstairs. OMG, had a waterfall downstairs. It was awful. Saved the computer and modem. My husband fixed the leak and then we had another leak in a other part of the house. Can't fix that yet because the tiny hardware store does not have the parts he needs. Cannot get to the larger town because the roads are too icy. I know other people have it a lot worse but just chiming in.

A lot of people are also on well water, so without a big generator (and fuel delivery) to operate the well pump - you cook/clean dishes with the scarce bottled water you use to drink.

Well prepared for hurricanes, flooding and tropical storms.

It’s hard to get a charcoal grill going and stand outside and cook when it’s that cold - frostbite starts after 15 minutes.

Cold wear clothing? You’d better get it from Amazon because local stores don’t stock long Johns or thermals or wool socks!

No mail, no deliveries for a while.
We always get out our old transistor radios and make sure we have fresh batteries. We’ve been without water, food or power for over two weeks in the heat. We barely had a roof over our heads. We were locked into our property by the National Guard for the entire time. If not for the Red Cross, we would have quickly dehydrated reducing our immunity to continue to fight for our health. Water is so very important.

This situation really made me review our situation at home. If we had no electricity for longer than a day, I would be okay. My husband, who is over 80, and disabled, wouldn't be able to live. He uses an oxygen concentrator, we have one bottle of oxygen for backup, but it would only last 8 hours....

From Canada manitoba. When power turns on if you can access your frozen pipes use hair dryer to heat pipes....Very important defrost corner/angled pipes first or you will blow your pipes. Also open all taps just a little all you need is a tiny trickle the water movement will defrost pipes. I called a plumber once for frozen pipes...he used my hair dryer and sat at my table while hair dryer did it's thing..it cost me $100 to learn that lesson. Take care and best wishes

Last edited:
I am in East TX. Finally got power on last night after a few days of having power for 5 to 20 min and then out for hours. We got the dogs and cat in the car to run the heater. (Open carport). My chickens, goat and my two pot belly pigs are still alive. Last night the water pipe burst upstairs. OMG, had a waterfall downstairs. It was awful. Saved the computer and modem. My husband fixed the leak and then we had another leak in a other part of the house. Can't fix that yet because the tiny hardware store does not have the parts he needs. Cannot get to the larger town because the roads are too icy. I know other people have it a lot worse but just chiming in.
I’m glad you did. Two of my best friends live in Texas so I’m protective of Texas. You’re one of our WS members that we care so much about. When members of our tight-knit community are in trouble, it’s healthy to share. ❤️

This situation really made me review our situation at home. If we had no electricity for longer than a day, I would be okay. My husband, who is over 80, and disabled, wouldn't be able to live. He uses an oxygen concentrator, we have one bottle of oxygen for backup, but it would only last 8 hours....
See if insurance would pay for one of these plus a spare battery or two.
Have it charged and ready.
Inverter for the car.

Inogen One G3 Portable Oxygen Concentrator with DOUBLE BATTERY

Chemical Plants and Utility Emergency Preparedness

“Not only did the power go out, but the plant’s backup generators also failed to operate.

As a result, the plant’s refrigeration system could not operate. This ultimately led to multiple explosions from volatile chemicals when they could not be kept cool, and adding insult to injury, the risk of airborne chemicals triggered local evacuations.”

That waterfall sounds pretty bad to me. I'm glad your power is back on and you, your husband, and your animals are OK.

I have friends in northern Texas near the Oklahoma border, they're snowed in, no power.

I feel for everyone who has no heat, no fireplace, and snowed under. Went through it once for 3 days back in CT but we did have a fireplace which I managed to keep going for as long as I needed it to.

My thoughts and prayers to anyone who is going through the loss of heat and water. All of these stories break my heart and make me stop and count my blessings.

I live in Ohio and even with the snow, ice storms and bitter cold temperatures we have experienced this week, it is nothing compared to what some of you are having to endure. Hugs to all of you and hopefully this will end soon. :)

How many that moved/lived in Texas knew that this was a potential issue at all as to the fact they aren't on the national grid?

So many things that normal folks don't know about and are ignorant of. (I've said that many times about myself as to the Jan 6th event and government, so that ignorant comment is NOT a slam)
I’ve lived in Texas my whole life and didn’t know about this! But it doesn’t surprise me. o_O

I live in between DFW and Midland/Odessa and I just went three days without electricity and two of them without water. I was prepared with food and plenty of bottled water, ( because of the pandemic), unfortunately I was not prepared to go more than a day without electricity. Three days felt like a week!
I chose not to go to a warming center 1) because I wouldn’t leave without my dog and 2) I’d rather be at home than in a big place with a bunch of strangers and no beds. I made a cozy tent in my walk-in closet near the middle of our home and my doggie and I kept each other warm. I had a feather mattress topper folded in half, piled with extra comforters and pillows (like “The Princes and the Pea!”), and a little string of battery operated Christmas lights which I set on top of a mirror to increase the glow. I had the foresight to make sure that my phone was truly fully charged and charged up two multi-charge back up batteries. (My phone charger in my car doesn’t work.) Without electricity I had no internet but at least I had cellular service so I could keep up with the news, web sleuths, listen to an audiobook and my fave YouTubers, Stephanie Harlowe, It’s a Crime, That Chapter and more. That kept me sane. Electricity is back on today and I am so grateful that it is!

I still love Texas. I would not live anywhere else!

This storm broke records as far back as 1896. The only place in Texas that one would expect a blizzard would be in the Panhandle. Our electric grid is designed to handle heat. We are prepared for hurricanes, tornadoes, and heat in the triple digits.

I am all for ERCOT being better prepared for the next time something weird like this happens. The fact is it probably won’t happen again for another hundred years. We will fix this the way the Texans do- without relying on the federal government to do it for us. This disaster didn’t happen because Texas is the most independent state in the USA and we will handle it independently because independent is the way we are going to stay! MOO

I am in Texas, and it is bad. When we say we aren’t prepared for this type of weather, consider I have one neighbor who moved here from New York that owns a scraper for their windshield and a snow shovel. One. There are 800+ homes in my immediate neighborhood. I’ve never owned an ice scraper for my windshield here because I’ve never needed one. Ever. Been here for nearly 20 years.

The water, food, and gas situation is really, really bad. We are personally fine because, hello, covid prep. Minus gas. I’ve got about half a tank and my teen driver has about 3/4 of a tank. I work in healthcare, so this is a problem if we don’t get access to gas in the next 4-5 days.

The food shortage is a huge problem. Shelves are worse than they were during the initial covid panic-buying. I think it’s worse now because without power, even those who are normally stocked up are struggling and needing different types of food. People didn’t necessarily stock up for covid anticipating electricity being out.

The water issue is critical. There’s just zero excuse for the national guard and FEMA not already being on the ground distributing bottled water. None. The complete lack of local, state, and national leadership has been horrifying.

I am so, so thankful I’m a pretty catastrophic thinker. When covid hit, I prepared for... well, honestly, some sort of apocalypse. People laughed at me, but that’s ok. It helped my anxiety to have a plan if we lost power, water wasn’t safe to drink, gas stations were empty, grocery stores were empty, police weren’t able to respond to 911 calls, internet was down, etc.

I feel for those who aren’t the paranoid worry-wart type like me. People who have a day or two of food in the house and don’t think anything about it. People who rely on tap water being safe and always available and scoff at buying water or storing water.

Even with preparations, I’ve realized there’s more I should’ve done. The reality is, we cannot count on our government to help in a crisis in any sort of timely fashion. Ever. Whether it’s because they actually can’t (not the case here, but whatever) or because they just don’t care to or perhaps are just inept. We are all so dependent upon electricity, water, gas, phones, internet, etc. It’s scary.

In the meantime, I thought perhaps one silver lining would be people iced in at home would at least help out covid numbers. Alas, I think we’re in for another massive spike in a month or so. As one example, when the local grocery stores opened on day 3 of this mess, every single shopping cart was in use in under 5 minutes. Stores were a complete zoo. Families are piled into each other’s homes depending on who has electricity and/or water. So, I think ultimately this is going to be very bad for our covid numbers. We won’t see it for a bit. But it’s coming.

It appears this was one day of rolling outages. We’re now entering day 6. So, no, I wouldn’t compare one day to nearly a week. The temps that day were also about 20 degrees higher than what we saw earlier this week, so that’s also a significant difference.

For us, we happen to live in part of the electric grid that also powers a hospital, so my guess is we wouldn’t have really blinked at a single day of outages back then. I even went back on my Facebook timeline just now to see if I posted anything weird going on around that time... nothing.

I’ve also never once not been able to buy water. It’s nowhere to be found, at least during the few hours of the day that the roads aren’t iced over so that you can venture out to search. This is assuming you have gas to burn looking around town. And cash to pay in the gas stations or stores that have no power. I’ve truly never seen anything even remotely like this.

So, yeah, for us at least, this experience has been absolutely nothing at all like this random day in 2011 you’re talking about.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back