Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

What's really sad is that this should have been a week of celebration for Will Smith. Making the rounds of morning talk shows, celebratory lunches and parties. Basking in the glory of his achievement and promoting upcoming projects.

Instead, the world is rehashing Jada's affair with AA, Willow's letter begging Tupac to come back and make her mom and her happy, and how far Will Smith has fallen in his messy, messy life. The subject of a thousand demeaning memes. In "defending his wife's honor" over a joke about hair of all things, WS had made himself and his wife the butt of a million new jokes and memes.

Instead of enjoying his moment in the sun and being clapped on the back and celebrated he has spent the last nearly two weeks hiding from the fallout. It's just such a train wreck of self-sabotage.

IMO

Last edited:
Academy ‘split’ over confiscating Will Smith’s Oscar on decision day
Academy 'split' on confiscating Will Smith's Oscar
Snipped
The members — of which there are over 9,000, with hundreds of WhatsApp groups flying about — are completely split,” an LA source told the Sun of the hearing by the academy.

This is going to be interesting! Just IMO. Some thoughts:
The Academy has been tracking public opinion: One report (Twitter data) had most of the country (41 states, 82%) supporting Chris Rock. Their problem though, is the business side of the Oscars, not something discussed in public, usually. Oscar campaigns are expensive. The unspoken truth is that Will Smith's company spent a lot to secure the win. Cumberbatch had a lot of votes.

And this year's high-profile sponsor of the Awards was Pfizer/BioNTech. They took out big ads in the trades. They had an Alopecia drug ready to launch; they've now said it won't be ready until sometime 2023. Jada was very public about her condition, pre-Oscars. A lot of people thought she was going to be the 'face' of this new product. Of course, the Slap de-railed that. Comments on this have been immediately taken down on Variety, etc.

Just a side note, the interview with Wanda Sykes on Ellen was a great look at what was going on that night. I think she had an excellent take on the whole thing.

If I was voting, I'd ban him for at least 5 years from the Academy and take back the Oscar. Weinstein and Polanski have nothing to do with what's going on today. It's not legal precedent, that's for sure. Bad decisions that were made in the past cannot be repaired by making more bad decisions in the present.
Anyway, just my opinion.

I’m truly mystified why he is with that woman. She really is using him for her dumb SM thing. Why put up with someone so toxic. He let her bring him down to her level, IMO. No excuse for what he did to poor CR though. That’s all on him.
There's no pre-nup, his first mistake. He has to either keep her or part with $150 million dollars to get rid of her. But richer people than he have done it, so can he if he really wants to. It's just going to cost A LOT.

jmo

Banned from being nominated for next 5-10 years.

Jmo
Yup. People think being banned from the Academy is no big deal. So what, he doesn't get to vote. He doesn't get to be nominated for a while. He already won his Oscar, so why does he care? etc.

But see, it IS a big deal because other people are still working for and chasing their awards. Who wants to be attached to a picture if they already know they won't be in the running if Will Smith is involved? This is exactly how you get unofficially blackballed in Hollywood. People want to work on projects with half a chance, not ones doomed from the start. Big projects won't invite him to participate and people will be reluctant to participate in WS's own productions knowing the Academy will ignore them.

I'm sure this is all slowly dawning on Will Smith. The sheer magnitude of the ripples. It'll be interesting to see how his PR team manages this over the next couple of years. IMO

Last edited:
Now not giving the Best Actress award at the 95th Academy Awards, as is traditional for the previous Best Actor winner, there is nothing in today’s AMPAS decision that prevents the busy Smith from being nominated in future years. Such a move on the part of the Board of Governors would have been unprecedented for AMPAS, and likely could blow up in their face.

Will Smith Banned From Oscars For 10 Years For Slapping Chris Rock – Deadline

Now not giving the Best Actress award at the 95th Academy Awards, as is traditional for the previous Best Actor winner, there is nothing in today’s AMPAS decision that prevents the busy Smith from being nominated in future years. Such a move on the part of the Board of Governors would have been unprecedented for AMPAS, and likely could blow up in their face.

Will Smith Banned From Oscars For 10 Years For Slapping Chris Rock – Deadline
Well, I guess even if he's nominated, and wins, he'll be accepting that award from his time-out couch.

ETA: oops....he can't even attend from the time-out couch:

"The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards," the organization said in a statement Friday following a hearing to discuss Smith slapping comedian Chris Rock at the Oscars."

In other words, they don't want so much as to see his face, in any context, for the next 10 years.

Will Smith blocked from Academy events for 10 years after Oscars slap

Last edited:
"During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry," the Board of Governors said in its statement. "This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented."

The organization shared its "deep gratitude" toward Rock "for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances," as well as the award show's hosts, nominees, presenters and winners "for their poise and grace during our telecast."

"This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith's behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy," the statement concluded. "We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted."

Will Smith blocked from Academy events for 10 years after Oscars slap

Film Academy Bans Will Smith from Oscars Ceremony for TK Years – The Hollywood Reporter

Twelve days after Will Smith slapped and screamed profanities at Chris Rockduring the 94th Academy Awards ceremony, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has ruled that Smith — who was presented with the best actor Oscar later that same evening — has been banned from returning to the Oscars or attending any other Academy events for the next 10 years.

Smith will retain the Oscar that he won and remains eligible for future Oscar nominations and wins.

Boy that will sure teach him a lesson :rolleyes:

This is going to be interesting! Just IMO. Some thoughts:
The Academy has been tracking public opinion: One report (Twitter data) had most of the country (41 states, 82%) supporting Chris Rock. Their problem though, is the business side of the Oscars, not something discussed in public, usually. Oscar campaigns are expensive. The unspoken truth is that Will Smith's company spent a lot to secure the win. Cumberbatch had a lot of votes.

And this year's high-profile sponsor of the Awards was Pfizer/BioNTech. They took out big ads in the trades. They had an Alopecia drug ready to launch; they've now said it won't be ready until sometime 2023. Jada was very public about her condition, pre-Oscars. A lot of people thought she was going to be the 'face' of this new product. Of course, the Slap de-railed that. Comments on this have been immediately taken down on Variety, etc.

Just a side note, the interview with Wanda Sykes on Ellen was a great look at what was going on that night. I think she had an excellent take on the whole thing.

If I was voting, I'd ban him for at least 5 years from the Academy and take back the Oscar. Weinstein and Polanski have nothing to do with what's going on today. It's not legal precedent, that's for sure. Bad decisions that were made in the past cannot be repaired by making more bad decisions in the present.
Anyway, just my opinion.
Yes, and besides the business side of the Oscars there is just the business in general. He’s going to be a liability for quite a while. Especially in the short term because no one is sure yet how this will impact people going to see his movies. That will make any investors nervous to bank roll anything with him attached. It comes down to being a bankable star, and right now he’s a carp shoot. He’s definitely lost any steam he had.

Smith will retain the Oscar that he won and remains eligible for future Oscar nominations and wins.

Boy that will sure teach him a lesson :rolleyes:
I’m ok with not taking his Oscar. It was determined before the incident and based on performance, not personal behavior. He shouldn’t have been allowed to stay and receive it though, and the Academy is acknowledging that. It might not seem like a big deal to ban him from Academy events, but it is in a symbolic way. He’s unwanted and will be shunned, which isn’t really a good way to secure future projects in Hollywood. If he’s not a sure thing to make people lots of money, they’ll choose to work with someone less iffy and controversial.

I’m ok with not taking his Oscar. It was determined before the incident and based on performance, not personal behavior. He shouldn’t have been allowed to stay and receive it though, and the Academy is acknowledging that. It might not seem like a big deal to ban him from Academy events, but it is in a symbolic way. He’s unwanted and will be shunned, which isn’t really a good way to secure future projects in Hollywood. If he’s not a sure thing to make people lots of money, they’ll choose to work with someone less iffy and controversial.
I'm ok with them not taking it too since, as CharlestonGal pointed out, it's just a symbol and reminder of his 'cringy behavior'.

However, I'd be ok with them taking it too. He didn't assault someone in a night club or bowling alley. He assaulted another participant in the show--- live. All the work of the organizers of the event, the work of the people who worked to be nominated, the millions of people watching and thousands in attendance and he single handedly (no pun intended) ruined the event. If they wanted to take away his trophy from the event for doing that, I'd understand.

I'm ok with them not taking it too since, as CharlestonGal pointed out, it's just a symbol and reminder of his 'cringy behavior'.

However, I'd be ok with them taking it too. He didn't assault someone in a night club or bowling alley. He assaulted another participant in the show--- live. All the work of the organizers of the event, the work of the people who worked to be nominated, the millions of people watching and thousands in attendance and he single handedly (no pun intended) ruined the event. If they wanted to take away his trophy from the event for doing that, I'd understand.
What they could have done - but who can think that fast when something extraordinary like this happens - is announce that due to unforeseen circumstances the award for best actor would be delayed until X date, pending review. Or some such.

And let Chris Rock make the announcement. jmo

It’s really interesting to read comments on The NY Times story about his 10 year ban. Many attacking CR for his “hurtful” joke about JPS’s alopecia. I really do believe that CR didn’t know about it. I certainly didn’t and I thought she looked stunning.
Will Smith Barred From Attending Oscars for 10 Years After Slap
JMO

Meanwhile, in Ukraine….:(

I hope someone has Will on suicide watch after today's expulsion. Seriously.

All these years he has a wife who tells the world over and over that she did not want to marry Will but she was pregnant and her mother told her she had to. That her relationship with Tupac was a one of a kind connection she will only experience once in a lifetime, that it's been a long, long time since she felt good with Will and she just wants to feel good and that's why she turned to a 22 year old boy. She babbles this nonsense constantly.

But to balance out all that negativity and lack of validation, he had the admiration of fellow actors, comedians, fans, the Academy to give him some kind of sense of self-worth. That is now gone. He was soundly rejected by them today, too.

What does he have left? In his own words, their marriage is "the most difficult, grueling, excruciating thing that we have ever taken on in our lives." That's what he has left after today. More of that.

I worry for the man. jmo

Chris Rock is funny has been funny for years, I hope he has sell out shows and is able to add this physical attack into his routine and not carry it like a weight.

Jmo

Watched him on joan rivers, first appearance, he was green but good.

Jmo

@Lilibet. Yes Ukraine

I do need a break from that travesty, death, destruction. It can’t end fast enough.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back