Will the defense quote from biblical scriptures during closing argument?

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by uklaw, Jul 1, 2011.

1. uklaw

uklaw New Member

I had this thought a while ago but have only got round to posting it today.

Do you guys think Jose Baez will refer to biblical passages in his closing arguments?

This isn't really a debate about religion, the merits of any particular religion or sacred text, Oo whether or not people should live their lives according to any particular religious doctrine.

However, the simple fact is that Juror Number 4 (the African American lady who the state tried to exercise a peremptory strike against), has stated that she has a hard time judging people due to her own religious beliefs. Upon being pressed she stated that she could judge people if she had to and referred to praying about her decision. I don't know if she explicitly stated her religion however, I presume it is save to say that this lady is a christian of some kind.

Like it or lump it this lady will place a lot of sway in the Bible. She doesn't want to judge others due to her religious beliefs, it makes sense that if forced to judge Casey that she will turn to the bible for guidance.

In particular, this is a circumstantial evidence case and there are no witnesses that can say "I saw Casey kill Caylee" or anything similar. Regardless of how one judge's the weight of evidence against Casey, there are simply no witnesses to the death of Caylee Anthony who have testified.

Because of this I think, Deuteronomy 17:6 is a scripture which if Juror #4 is referred to, could cause her to vote not guilty.

Similar scriptures are:

I was reading through the case law and there is not a blanket ban upon quoting scripture during closing arguments. So I think if the defense were smart and able to properly argue the case law (I appreciate that this is a tall order given that Jose Baez will probably be performing the closings). Further, it could be effective in swaying her.

All in all, I think that Jose Baez could use biblical references to try and sway, in particular, Juror number 4.

If anyone cares, I have quoted the summaries of relevant cases below:

2. Loading...

3. Melanie

Melanie Inactive

Just my personal observation, no facts, or anything to back it up...but I don't think JB is the religious type to me. I don't think JA or LDB would ever go that route.

It would be insulting to some jurors IMHO -- it would be insulting to me (as in don't insult me with your religious quotes). What does that have to do with the murder and disposal of precious Caylee Marie Anthony.

That's what I would be thinking, and it would probably alienate me even more (again, if I was on the jury).

If he does, I will be quite suprised.

MOO - please and thanks.

ETA: thanks for pulling up all those quotes. Interesting stuff I hadn't read before. But I still don't think it would be applicable to this case (in light of perjuring Cindy Anthony on the witness stand). ETA again to add -- I'm beginning to think we have less and less to worry about with #4. One of the tweets said she was crossing out a bunch of notes in her notebook today while the SA was degrading Cindy's testimony. My take is she was crossing out everything she took away from Cindy's time on the stand (again, no proof - just an observation). Who knows, maybe #4 will be the foreperson :)

Mel

4. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

The scriptures could bite them in the proverbial IMO.

Luke 16:10 - "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much."

5. uklaw

uklaw New Member

True. I am not saying, that I would necessarily agree that the quotes serve for the proposition for which I suggest that JB quote them. All I say is that they could hold a lot of sway for Juror Number 4.

The problem with the quote you give though is it relies upon the Prosecution knowing it and having it bring out in rebuttal. (and if they get into bible-bashing that opens up a whole can of worms).

6. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

I wasn't thinking of the Prosecution quoting Luke, I think they will stick to the facts of the case instead of religious argument. Just my impression though so I could be wrong.

I thought more in terms of the religious jurors knowing their scriptures and being disgusted by the attempts to sway their opinion by using self-serving Bible quotes while ignoring other biblical advice such as do not offer false testimony. They could come up with a few crushing rebuttal quotes of their own no doubt.

7. uklaw

uklaw New Member

Ahh ic.

8. JBounds

JBounds I feel lucky

Actually she said"does not like to judge people by what other people say about them. "http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2011/05/casey-anthony-trial-juror-profiles.html

So no I don't think he will quote the Bible.

And no one has to see or witness anything. circumstantial evidence can be pretty powerful, almost much more effective than witnessing the crime and was and is in this case because Casey pretty much doomed herself by her own actions. Plus she was the last person seen with Caylee, even GA said this on the witness stand.

No one seen Scott Peterson kill his wife and child, yet his actions spoke volumes after the fact. Same with Casey.

9. stilettos

stilettos Former Member

If they do..I pray that the heavens ROAR!

10. megsy

megsy New Member

I think too much weight is being put on Juror #4. I also think any quoting from the bible done by the defense would be a huge mistake.

11. uklaw

uklaw New Member

Yeah, but what your basically doing is stating what the argument of the case is.

What I am looking at is something a bit more focused and saying, well this women places a lot of reliance on biblical scripture. Will she look at the lack of direct witnesses as being significant if she is referred to scriptural authority which on the face of it requires 2 people to witness a crime (again I am not saying that said authority holds true, but I am focussing on juror number 4)?

The strength or otherwise of circumstantial evidence and what happened in the Scott Peterson case is not really relevant.

12. uklaw

uklaw New Member

I think the amount of weight you place in juror number 4 is determined by how strong she is in her views. I tend to agree with you to the extent that I think she would easily be swayed by other jurors.

That being said if 1 or 2 other jurors believe that not guilty is the correct verdict then I think it will be harder for her to be swayed.

13. 1tasha

1tasha New Member

And in all seriousness, he'd choose the wrong passage and God would become more obviously the state's witness.

14. leophoenix

leophoenix Xineohpoel Leophoenix

Or perhaps #4 wanted an excuse not to serve jury duty? When in a drug trial one of the jurors with me said she did not judge but, was sent in anyway. After the trial she was in a hurry to vote guilty because she wanted to bake cookies for her granddaughter today.

15. uklaw

uklaw New Member

Respectfully snipped.

I don't think JB strikes me as the religious type either (although a lot of hispanics are, at least nominally).

That being said, I doubt he would shy away from quoting scriptures if he thought it would help is cause.

16. uklaw

uklaw New Member

Couldn't help but laugh!

17. stilettos

stilettos Former Member

IDK...I voted ICA should get the death penalty...but I for my faith could not vote for it because of the scripture that states you should not put someone to death on the strength of less than two witnesses. So, I am never chosen for duty...they no likey the Shoelady.

18. nursebeeme

nursebeeme Registered User

I don't think we know much about juror #4 at all to figure out much about her (other than her crops in farmville must need watered LOL) they didn't even do the complete voir dire of her... all we know is that she said she had a hard time judging people but upon clarification by hhjp it was determined that she can follow the law.
    :twocents:

19. ynotdivein

ynotdivein Retired WS Staff

IMO, folks can be very religious without living their lives according to the strictures of the Bible--Old or New Testament, King James version or other.

Am not sure that we should be applying Biblical/Deuteronomy standards to a present-day trial, either. Though if a juror does that... well, we might never know if they did or didn't.

And this boils down to the fact that we are making a LOT of assumptions about Juror #4 based on a SMALL amount of evidence.

In general, though, as to the original question, I think the defense would be making a mistake by quoting Scripture in closing.

20. 1tasha

1tasha New Member

I think it would be risky because people who know their scripture can duel with him. People who aren't particularly religious would probably feel manipulated. I don't know the religious makeup of that part of Florida. It may work better in places like the south where I live.

21. megsy

megsy New Member

Not to mention that "don't like to judge" does not mean they don't partake in it.

I "don't like" that my pants are tight right now. Did it stop me from eating too much today? :waitasec: