Willamette Week "The Kyron Files"

Thanks everyone,

so what I am hearing is that he had to of had this gun before everything happened...because I HIGHLY doubt that no one would have 'spilled the beans' about him buying a gun after the fact.

The obsessed person from Colorado seems like a filler. What has she got to do with anything? Why do we need to know about her? Is she important in finding out what happened to Kyron?

And the People reporter. :waitasec:

He's left out everybody at the school.

In Oregon, you aren't supposed to purchase guns unless it is from someone licensed to sell. However, you can buy them at gun shows. Go figure! I have a friend who sells guns and he told me this when my mom had him sell one for her. I'm not sure if you can sell a gun that you own to others without a license, so not sure how that works with Craigslist? I'd have to ask him. I was able to sell a flint gun for my mom. It was an antique and was no longer operational and was used as a wall ornament. He said it was legal for me to sell it.

As for shooting, you can shoot on your own property in the county areas. As for the towns, that is up to each town. In my town, you cannot shoot within the city limits.

I don't know much about guns. Wondering if a person can target shoot just anywhere? Can a person legally target shoot on their own property? Are there laws regulating such hobbies? ?TIA

Depending on where you live. Probably within most city limits they have ordinances about discharging a firearm. If not, and you have a large enough property to safely shoot on, its probably ok. I guess its ok where Kaine is since the police and neighbors seem ok with it.

I don't know much about guns. Wondering if a person can target shoot just anywhere? Can a person legally target shoot on their own property? Are there laws regulating such hobbies? ?TIA

It depends on where you live. I lived in a Boston suburb for many years, and it was illegal for an ordinary citizen to discharge a weapon within town boundaries.

We moved to a rural area of another state. I hear gunshots all the time. It alarmed me, at first, but now I am used to it. I can buy guns and bullets and shoot them all I like, as long as I don't engage in homicide or poaching or kill the farmers' cows.

Only speaking for myself, it isn't the legality of him shooting it off that I am thinking about.

It is the how long has he had it that I am curious about.

Especially since on his RO he stated that he didn't know if she had access to guns ect.

It really depends on where the property owner lives. Most subdivisions have a Homeowner's Association and/or city laws. They live in a rural area, as do I, so there may not be any laws that apply to personal property target shooting. I wouldn't do it on my property (we go to a range), but I haven't been the target of a MFH either.

There are so many talented and informed members here at WS, I just love it. Ask a question and 'bingo' you are showered with great answers. Thanks so much everyone for the information about target shooting. :grouphug:

Poor neighbors listening to gun shots for hours..........

I'd imagine Tony, being LE, could provide Kaine with all the guidance he needed on everything from how to obtain a gun legally, to where he could practice, and Tony could even probably give him some lessons. The two of them may be relieving stress by shooting the carp outta beer bottles. Who knows? God bless them, if it helps, by all means, shoot away.

Are you allowed to purchase guns online?

Isn't it illegal to have a gun w/out a permit?

Note: I am NOT bashing Kaine-just curious

Here you are; I didn't see anything in the OR statutes prohibiting it, as long as the dealer is legit (referenced US statutes).

I hadn't called my gun dealer friend in awhile so I just got off the phone with him. :)

First, you must sell your guns through a dealer unless they are not operational. Even if the gun belongs to you, you need the broker to do the background check which is required on all gun purchases.

You can't sell a gun on Craigslist and Craigslist doesn't allow it.

You can shoot on your own property in the counties. He doesn't know of any city that allows shooting within their city limits in Oregon.

You don't have to have a permit to own a gun unless you want to conceal it and then you need a concealed weapon permit.

Only speaking for myself, it isn't the legality of him shooting it off that I am thinking about.

Especially since on his RO he stated that he didn't know if she had access to guns ect.

I imagine that it wouldn't matter for the purposes of the RO how long he had it because Terri and Kaine had separated when he filed for the RO and I think he would have taken his gun with him if he had it so he'd have known that Terri didn't have access to that gun but not if she had access to any other.

BBM I don't get the connection to him having a gun, and him not knowing if she has access to a gun. One wouldn't really have any bearing on the other, would it?

Does it matter really what caused Desiree's kidney problems??? Her precious son Kyron is missing, and she is a distraught broken hearted mother, just wanting her little boy to come home safely to her arms!
K- Kyron, a Precious name for a Precious little Boy.
Y- Is for Yellow, like the big bright shining Sun,
R- Is for Remembering to never Forget, God is above watching all his little Ones
O- Is for the Ongoing Love that we all feel for you Precious Boy.
N- Is for the Name" Kyron" your Mommy and Daddy hold close in their hearts.
I agree we should never forget in all of this it is all about Kyron, and not all the muck raking that is going on with this tragedy. I Pray everyday this little guy will be found alive and unharmed, as i also Pray for all of the other lost children.Please God, we need some miracles.

I hadn't called my gun dealer friend in awhile so I just got off the phone with him. :)

First, you must sell your guns through a dealer unless they are not operational. Even if the gun belongs to you, you need the broker to do the background check which is required on all gun purchases.

You can't sell a gun on Craigslist and Craigslist doesn't allow it.

You can shoot on your own property in the counties. He doesn't know of any city that allows shooting within their city limits in Oregon.

You don't have to have a permit to own a gun unless you want to conceal it and then you need a concealed weapon permit.

Thanks! and Darn!

lol

Wish I'd known you had a gun friend :)

If you speak to him again, ask if there are any laws forbidding loaning or gifts of guns. I couldn't find anything in the statutes.

I also did not "officially" know that Desiree has been married 3 times. Nor did I know she was denied custody by both of her sons' fathers, and fought neither of them in court for custody. (I would like to know more about all of that. I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't completely understand why a mom would give up custody rights to both children to begin with. And then to choose not to fight the fathers in court over custody ... perhaps it was because Desiree eventually felt satisfied with the informal parenting plans arranged, and the custody arrangements for her sons met with her approval and made her sons happy?)

SBM

I think I have a good guess, based on personal experience. I went through kidney failure (subsequent to another serious illness) five years ago.

It is not like having the super-flu, pneumonia and shingles simultaneously, then recovering. It is maybe one thousand times worse than that. Conservative estimate.

When I came to consciousness in the hospital, I was literally so weak I could not feed myself because a spoon or fork was too heavy for me to lift to my lips.

When I finally got out of the hospital, I had to work out with four ounce weights. Yes, quarter pound weights! Because I simply could not handle more than that. I still needed assistance in finishing meals. I could not pick up more than one pound, maximum; more weight than that would just slide through my hands.

Keep in mind that I was already considered healthy enough to go home at that point so long as I had an adult caretaker (my husband who is my hero).

For the first six months after I got out of the hospital, I had to sleep 16-20 hours a day. If I did not lie down and sleep, I just fell asleep wherever I was. I had no choice, I could not force myself to stay awake.

It took me over a year before I felt anything approaching normal again.

One of my best friends also experience renal failure. He was in the army and given an antibiotic that triggered it. He was young, in top shape (a drill instructor) and his experiences and recovery time were pretty much the same as mine.

While I was recovering, there is no way I could have cared for an infant. I couldn't lift a baby, I probably couldn't even roll one over. I was ordered to avoid close contact with small children for that year because my immune system was so damaged that any normal childhood infection would have had serious consequences for me.

My guess is that when DY came back from Canada, she was still recovering and clearly not able to take care of her children. By the time she regained enough strength and health to do so, they were each established in their father's homes, which would have made it unlikely for her to win custody in court (in my state).

Oh, I see. I guess when we hear about FDA approval in the news it is usually some new prescription, so yeah I can see that. Sorry for the confusion.

All drugs - be they OTC or prescription - require FDA approval. Supplements do not require FDA approval. Supplement vendors can not claim (legally) that their products have therapeutic benefit, and have learned to walk a very fine line in labeling products, choosing language that pushes FDA regulations as far as possible, without stepping over the line.

Here is an example. I take Biotin because it is reputed to improve the strength of finger nails. The label on the front of the bottle reads: "A vitamin supplement for healthy hair, scalp, and nails" - followed by an asterisk. On the back of the bottle there is another asterisks and the following in very tiny print: "This statement has not been approved by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease." Note: The manufacturer can legally state that Biotin is a “supplement for healthy nails.” The manufacture could not legally claim the Biotin improves the strength of nails.

The FDA doesn’t test supplements, but it prohibits the sale of supplements that are known to be harmful. (A prior poster mentioned the FDA banning Ephedra.) But many herbs and other so-called “natural” substances are sold without any labeling or packaging and escape all FDA notice. The father of a friend purchased an herbal mixture from a shop in chinatown to treat his arthritis. The friend (an MD) had the herbal mixture tested. It contained herbs . . . but it also contained the prescription drug prednisone.

As far as FDA approved prescription drugs go, once a drug receives FDA approval, a doctor can legally proscribe that drug for purposes other than the specific indication (disease) approved by the FDA. Proscribing a drug to treat a condition that has not received FDA approval is called prescribing “Off Label.” Many drugs are routinely prescribed “Off Label.” To give just one example, the tricyclic antidepressant Evavil (amitriptyline) is frequently prescribed for pain – but has never received FDA approval for the treatment of pain.

From the wording in the article it sounds to me that DY took a drug that had not received FDA approval as either a prescription drug or an OTC drug, and was not being legally marketed as a supplement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back