Winter Storm Nemo: Nor'easter Looms

Southern Ontario bracing for major storm today into tomorrow
10cm today, 15cm tomorrow!!!!
Sounds like a snow day tomorrow

A snow day for 15 cms? Is the Army on standby? (just kidding with you) There is still the never ending joke about the Army being called in for a snow storm in Toronto a few years ago :D

We got 45 cms in Montreal in December. I was on Holiday but my coworkers were at work. It was just another winter day.

10-15 cms. for us. Let's hope it's NOT more. I'm fed up of winter!!! :banghead:

HC so far as I can see, NJ is due for a mix of rain/sleet/snow, or just rain. I think it will just miss, hopefully.

Will probably make a mess, but shouldn't be debilitating. :please:

A snow day for 15 cms? Is the Army on standby? (just kidding with you) There is still the never ending joke about the Army being called in for a snow storm in Toronto a few years ago :D

We got 45 cms in Montreal in December. I was on Holiday but my coworkers were at work. It was just another winter day.

10-15 cms. for us. Let's hope it's NOT more. I'm fed up of winter!!! :banghead:

well... its actually 25cm over two days!!!

Hardy Canadian>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT!!!

I do remember that storm, 50 cm or so
My flight was delayed from Aruba. spent the night at the airport

well... its actually 25cm over two days!!!

Hardy Canadian>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT!!!

I do remember that storm, 50 cm or so
My flight was delayed from Aruba. spent the night at the airport

I'm not a Hardy Canadian either!!!!!

600494_10151498434741908_1413608169_n.jpg

34" predicted for where I am in central mass. :eek:hoh:

February was also when the legendary blizzard of '78 happened. I wasn't much more than a toddler, but I do remember the snow so high we were sledding down the roof of my house into the front yard.

This is supposed to be worse than that.

I usually shop on Friday mornings, but had to move it up to today. It's already a mob scene. Hitting the packy a bit later for my blizzard beer, hopefully they aren't wiped out. ;)

:floorlaugh: Lol, I texted DH awhile ago and told him to stock up on our frosty adult beverage supplies today. Otherwise we're as set as we can be...

I've only been here in CT for 1-1/2 years...I'm a central California girl. All of the weather peeps there have three forecasts - Dust storm, Hot or Fog lol...I do think snow is still magical, but NOT 24 inches of the stuff! I just hope our power doesn't go out. We have lost all food in the chest freezer and fridge twice since we moved here...

Gardenlady has better weather people than I do. Mine ca't get any closer than 4-8 inches...hers are running around forecasting down to the .8 of an inch. No fair.

I'm kidding by the way. My weather is still calling for 4-8 inches, but preparing everyone for school to likely be shut down tomorrow, so I think they are betting closer to 8, and just throwing the 4 inch possibility out there so people don't panic and clear store shelves.

Well, it is Boston, i think they must put all the MIT math nerds to work on calculating the snow down to decimal point accuracy! :giggle:

Gardenlady has better weather people than I do. Mine ca't get any closer than 4-8 inches...hers are running around forecasting down to the .8 of an inch. No fair.

I'm kidding by the way. My weather is still calling for 4-8 inches, but preparing everyone for school to likely be shut down tomorrow, so I think they are betting closer to 8, and just throwing the 4 inch possibility out there so people don't panic and clear store shelves.

hahaha... my news is like that too!

I don't buy it either :no:

I just looked at the radar

Winter Storm Nemo Could Cripple Northeast

http://www.wunderground.com/news/winter-storm-nemo-news-20130207

Winter Storm Nemo, heading for New England, has the potential to be one for the record books. The nation's snow-hardiest people should proceed with caution, forecasters say.

As much as 2 feet of snow could fall on a region that has seen mostly bare ground this winter, the National Weather Service said.
That's exciting for resort operators who haven't had much snow this year.

"This has the potential to crack the top 10 snowstorms all-time in Boston, dating to 1892, according to the National Weather Service," said Jonathan Erdman, meteorologist with The Weather Channel.

The storm would hit just after the 35th anniversary of the historic blizzard of 1978, which paralyzed the region with more than 2 feet of snow and hurricane force winds from Feb. 5-7.

"This has the potential for being a dangerous storm, especially for Massachusetts into northeast Connecticut and up into Maine," said Louis Uccellini, director of the weather agency's National Centers for Environmental Prediction......more......

Those in this region please prepare and be careful !!

Wow! Mind-boggling amount of snow all at once. I do remember a blizzard in the 70's, in the mid west that dumped so much snow on us, when they plowed the highway the snow was taller than the car and you could only see the sky. So much snow on the roads we ended up with a lane and a half for both directions. We had to go into work and could not get off. It was something like June before the mountains of snow plowed from the parking lots finally melted. The snow looked like gray dirty mini mountains.

WDIV (Channel 4 - Detroit) has sent me at least a dozen email weather alerts in the last 36 hours about the impending storm. I will be royally pizzed if it doesn't materialize :D

So far my kids school has only called a half day for tomorrow... Lucky they are walkers :crazy:

:floorlaugh: Lol, I texted DH awhile ago and told him to stock up on our frosty adult beverage supplies today. Otherwise we're as set as we can be...

The packy was...well, packed lol... But did manage to get my beer.

If I am shut in the house with no power for many days with four kids, I will need it. :D

My DS school district is notorious for waiting until the last minute. I'll probably find out at 7:28 tomorrow morning (school starts at 7:30) lol.

PS - Gardenlady, why do they call liquor stores "package" stores here? I've also never seen so much regulation on getting and selling booze! I could go into a 7-11 in CA and get liquor, any kind, but only until 2:00 a.m., they can't sell from 2:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.

ETA - Just saw this on wunderground: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2344

Hold on to our hats folks, it's gonna be a wild ride!

My DS school district is notorious for waiting until the last minute. I'll probably find out at 7:28 tomorrow morning (school starts at 7:30) lol.

PS - Gardenlady, why do they call liquor stores "package" stores here? I've also never seen so much regulation on getting and selling booze! I could go into a 7-11 in CA and get liquor, any kind, but only until 2:00 a.m., they can't sell from 2:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.

ETA - Just saw this on wunderground: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2344

Hold on to our hats folks, it's gonna be a wild ride!

I have NO idea why it's a package store, or WHY we are so liberal in so many ways but our liquor laws are absurdly puritanical (I suppose it coukd be worse, we coukd have "dry" places like other states :eek:hoh: ). I remember having lived out of state a few years, coming back, and suddenly you could buy liquor on Sundays here. Blown away! :lol:

Maybe the old puritans were embarassed to admit going to the liquor store, and instead called it a "package"??! :waitasec: :giggle:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back