Woman dies from using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses.

If it's in the tap water, I still don't understand how it is not killing people who shower. I noticed after this article (I'm a netti user but always use distilled water) that I get water up my nose in the shower. That made me wonder how only the tap water from the netti pot was transferring the killer bug and not the tap water from a shower.

If it's in the tap water, I still don't understand how it is not killing people who shower. I noticed after this article (I'm a netti user but always use distilled water) that I get water up my nose in the shower. That made me wonder how only the tap water from the netti pot was transferring the killer bug and not the tap water from a shower.

There have been a case of a person getting while they showered. The patient was a child, which is most commonly seen in. The water was likely not chlorinated properly. Also, it could depend on level of infestation. The patients were healthy or they say they were. It is poorly understood as it is a rare disease. Perhaps there could be a milder form of this disease.

http://aem.asm.org/content/69/10/5864.full

Most people don't get water into their sinuses when they shower.

I don't think it's just a problem with the water, it's a problem if the water is tap water and then you don't dry out the neti pot properly. And I do get water in my nose in the shower :). I also think it would be more of a concern if your immune system is already compromised.

I don't think it's just a problem with the water, it's a problem if the water is tap water and then you don't dry out the neti pot properly. And I do get water in my nose in the shower :). I also think it would be more of a concern if your immune system is already compromised.

I am not sure what "not drying the neti pot properly" is going to do. It is the problem with a tap water since the organism is found in tap water. If you get the water into your sinuses when you shower the same thing can happen.

I am not sure what "not drying the neti pot properly" is going to do. It is the problem with a tap water since the organism is found in tap water. If you get the water into your sinuses when you shower the same thing can happen.

If you don't dry and then put the pot away, pathological organisms grow in the warm, dark, moist environment. Most people's nasal passage near the outside of the body dries quickly and usually is exposed to a bit more light, which kills the organisms. Think "solariums" for tuberculosis; similar concept. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back