Woman Kicked Out Of Victoria's Secret For Breast Feeding Child

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by CW, Feb 2, 2006.

1. CW

CW Former Member

POSTED: 10:23 am EST February 2, 2006

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- In a Victoria's Secret store, surrounded by frilly bras and blown-up images of barely covered models, Lori Rueger says she was told to find somewhere else to breast feed.
    Rueger's story -- told during a hearing in support of a state bill to ensure breast feeding is allowed in public places -- so angered a state lawmaker that he's urging women to form a national Mothers Against Victoria's Secret movement.
    "It's really kind of subhuman behavior. And subhuman behavior warrants some kind of strong response other than just a little law that we pass in South Carolina," Rep. Walt McLeod, D-Little Mountain, said Wednesday.

Rueger was one of more than a couple of dozen mothers, doctors, lawyers and other breast-feeding advocates who were on hand to urge passage of the bill.

The 29-year-old Charleston mother testified that she was in a Victoria's Secret store in suburban Mount Pleasant and was told by an employee that she could not breast feed her baby in a dressing room and was encouraged to use a restroom in a nearby store instead.
    http://www.wftv.com/news/6678417/de...trange&tmi=orlc_strange_1_10000202022006&ts=H

2. Loading...

3. calus_3

calus_3 Former Member

Well, I don't support THAT! :D ;)

Unbelievable.

Cal

4. Paradise

Paradise Member

I can't believe how idiotic some people are. If I was that lady I'd have whipped my boob out right there and started feeding the kid. I'd have told the salesperson go to eat in the bathroom and see if she liked it. Some people have a lot of nerve. This is one thing that really burns me up...women are encouraged to breastfeed their children yet when they do it seems like they're treated like outcasts. :furious:

5. KatherineQ

KatherineQ Former Member

This story is almost funny. Very dark humor.

This midwife group I used to associate with had a saying - maybe it's everywhere but it seems REALLY appropriate here - rip that nipple out of the mouth of that baby and put it back in the black lace bra where it belongs.

Really. A mother told she couldn't breastfeed in a Victoria's Secret dressing room?

The irony is dripping from this story.

6. bakerprune64

bakerprune64 Former Member

Very well said Paradise:clap:

7. Jean

Jean Former Member

It sounds to me like the store is trying to smooth this over--which I don't think will happen. I think an employee made a big, big mistake and now the company is sending out their mouth pieces to try to make nice. I have a feeling there will be some employee training sessions over this situation. I certainly can understand why Lori Rueger was upset when she was told "to find somewhere else to breast feed."

From the news article posted by WindChime:

A Victoria's Secret spokesman described what happened with Rueger as a misunderstanding and said it has actually had a positive effect by reopening a dialogue on the issue.

Victoria's Secret has a "long-standing policy to allow nursing in our stores. We are still for and about women," said Anthony Hebron, spokesman for the chain's parent, Limited Brands.

8. reb

reb New Member

what they are obviously telling us is that boobs are for men, not for babies... that's just WAY too dirty and perverse...!! LOL

9. Bobbisangel

Bobbisangel New Member

I couldn't agree more :eek: