Woman recieves $74,326.66 water bill

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Casshew, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

When Rose Mary Cook received her utility bill from the city of Mascoutah, she hoped it wouldn't be over her $200 average, so when the bill read $74,326.66, she nearly hit the floor.

The city claimed she used 10 million gallons of water -- the current estimated daily usage of drinking water for cities the size of Fargo, N.D.; Tacoma, Wash.; Des Moines, Iowa and Sioux Falls, S.D.

"Luckily, when I opened the bill, I was sitting down," Cook said. "I could have filled every pool in southern Illinois and still not used that much water."

In fact, Glen Canyon dam near the Arizona-Utah border stands 710-foot-tall and holds 10 million gallons of water from the Colorado River.

"My daughter asked me if I was hoarding water during the drought," Cook said. "I told her I would, but I don't know where I would find 10 million gallon jugs."

Cook owed $29,787 for water, $43,581 for sewer, plus $893 for municipal tax.

"And if it isn't paid by next Saturday, I owe $78,000," Cook said.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/local/12111740.htm

2. Loading...

3. aussieblue

aussieblue aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi

LOL When i read this title, for sure i thought this would be in Australia.

Our water is so damn expensive here, especially in the state i live in.

~aussieblue

4. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

Well, hopefully :rolleyes: :rolleyes: my pool will be getting filled soon, so I'm expecting a pretty large bill, but NOT THAT LARGE!!!