Woman unaware of pregnancy gives birth while bar-hopping

Truthful Lies

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365605,00.html

"A 30-year-old woman was at a friend’s costume party when she unexpectedly gave birth.

Normally, that might not seem so unusual – except Ally Ashwell had no idea she was pregnant; it is being reported by BBC News.

Ashwell, of Newcastle, England, was bar hopping with friends – in a bumblebee costume – when she began to feel sick, according to the BBC News.

She returned to her hotel room to find she was in labor, and the contractions came so fast, she was forced to deliver in the hotel.

Click here to discuss this story.

Ashwell’s baby, Owen, was born prematurely at 26 weeks, but doctors at the Lancashire hospital where he is being cared for are optimistic about his future.

“It is very unusual for a baby to be born in this situation,” said a spokesman for Blackpool Victoria Hospital. “I think Owen surprised us all by the progress he has made.”

I still don't understand how a woman doesn't know she's pregnant....I realize every pregnancy is different..but my goodness. I would be horrified if I were her...bar hopping and "oops! be right back!". She's not so heavy, either, that it would have been completely unnoticed...like some I've seen.

I have never understood this phenomena. You hear stories of women who go to the bathroom and a baby falls into the toilet - SURPRISE!
How could you not know you were pregnant? Lets see; your hormones go crazy, your breasts become bigger and more sensitive and in some cases you lactate, no more periods(I guess some women still have their periods or have irregular periods to begin with) and that whole baby bumb thing.
There are so many physical changes it just seems crazy that a woman would not know unless she was just pretty out of touch with her body to begin with.

And wouldn't that be the shock of a lifetime? One minute you are out partying being a single, carefree person the next you are a parent with this little person who needs you for everything.

I'd be shamed to the end of my life for drinking/bar hopping and not even knowing I was pregnant - the damage!

I was so sick and wretched...there was no mistaking it (although did get period in the beginning..so I understand the delay of a couple of months if NO physical signs present, but geeze!)

I just watched a show on Discovery Health about several women that had babies and did not know they were pregnant. One lady had not had a period in 15 years and another one kept taking pregnancy tests that came back negative (she was on the pill when she got pregnant and had taken antibiotic for strep throat). Another lady had a very hard time getting pregnant with her first child and was told she would never become pregnant again and went in to labor one night at home and the husband delivered the baby in the bathroom before paramedics got there - her first child was 18 years old! None of them had the normal symptoms.

My cousin pulled this stunt with the family a few years back.
She was obviously pregnant. HUGELY pregnant.
Her mother took her to the ER and she made the DR. swear not to tell her mom she was pregnant, she told us that she was having a "false pregnancy" where she has all the symptoms of a real one.

I just straight up called her a liar.

She ended up almost having the baby at my 99 year old grandmothers house. In the toilet.

She swears she was raped by a neighbor. Total lies. The poor neighbor doesn't even know she used him in her sick tale. The kid is now 10 and is all kinds of messed up. Emotion issues and she is spoiled rotten being raised by her grandparents

I doubt she even knows who the real father of the child is. She has since had 3 kids with 3 different men.

(Don't even begin to feel sorry for her, she is not worth your pity)

Sounds like your cousin was in some major denial.

False pregnancy is an interesting phenomena too.

My moms friend was in her late 40s and she thought she was going through menopause until one night she went to bed and felt her baby kick, she was completely shocked because she and her husband had been trying for a baby for about 5 years and nothing. She was almost 5 1/2 months when she found out.

Gosh, that would NEVER happen to me.

I think I am pregnant EVERY month. :rolleyes:

God bless little Owen.

I think I'm pregnant everyday ( oh wait I guess I cant be I'm a man , I guess its just cause I like food!!!):eek:

I just watched a show on Discovery Health about several women that had babies and did not know they were pregnant. One lady had not had a period in 15 years and another one kept taking pregnancy tests that came back negative (she was on the pill when she got pregnant and had taken antibiotic for strep throat). Another lady had a very hard time getting pregnant with her first child and was told she would never become pregnant again and went in to labor one night at home and the husband delivered the baby in the bathroom before paramedics got there - her first child was 18 years old! None of them had the normal symptoms.

I just watched this show today and it surely seems like it is possible now. Although I was really sad that the woman that had the twins, one died after the show.

Sounds like your cousin was in some major denial.

False pregnancy is an interesting phenomena too.
false pregnancy is very interesting!! it can be very convicing to.. the mind / body connection.

Amanda,

I was watching the show, too!! I thought about running online and posting that it was going to be on...but I didn't. I see how things like that are possible now...although all of the Moms were somewhat heavy...I think that might be the biggest deceiver. I keep worrying that I am because of constant irregularities, etc...but hopefully a baby wouldn't be able to hide in my under-weight frame. I'll just keep testing every couple of weeks!

I guess I can see not knowing at 26 weeks. But these women that carry to term and have 8lb babies, I'm not buying it. LOL

Amanda,

I was watching the show, too!! I thought about running online and posting that it was going to be on...but I didn't. I see how things like that are possible now...although all of the Moms were somewhat heavy...I think that might be the biggest deceiver. I keep worrying that I am because of constant irregularities, etc...but hopefully a baby wouldn't be able to hide in my under-weight frame. I'll just keep testing every couple of weeks!

How funny I thought about posting that it was on to lol. They were are all overweight and they said something about the way the uterus was positioned they were not able to feel movements like average women.

I will never understand NOT know you are pregnant. I have always said you have to be that special kinda stupid to have that happen to you or the people around you are that special kinda stupid to believe you. One or the other. I will just never understand this...

I will never understand NOT know you are pregnant. I have always said you have to be that special kinda stupid to have that happen to you or the people around you are that special kinda stupid to believe you. One or the other. I will just never understand this...

I think its a combo of a few factors ..... serious denial or being so not in tune with your own body or just so not even thinking along the lines at all of ever becoming pregnant again ... due to whatever reason..

I saw a program about women having babies and not knowing they were pregnant. They were all very overweight and not regular about their periods. One woman had not had a period in 15 or 16 years and had been told way back that she could not become pregnant. She lost 30 pounds and that's when she ovulated (though she did not know it).

They did explain that the placement of the placenta can keep a woman from feeling the kicks.

One of the women said she had absolutely none of the symptoms she had in a previous pregnancy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back