Woman's body found in basement of luxury apartment building in Manhattan

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

sunflowermomma

Reaction score
Police said a building employee came across the 24-year-old woman Friday afternoon in the basement of the building. Officers and EMS arrived at the luxury residential complex on West 28th Street around 3 p.m. MORE AR LINK… <modsnip: copyright>

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=2dotxn_0q0gUKsE00

+Art is the Manhattan Development where the woman's body was found.

Law enforcement sources reported that the circumstances surrounding the woman's fate remain unclear. Investigations are underway to determine how long the body had been in the compactor and the precise cause of her tragic end. MORE AT LINK… <modsnip: copyright>

*Heidi Planck reflections…

Last edited by a moderator:
Missing posters indicated that Elmquist was last seen getting into a yellow cab outside Catch Steakhouse in Manhattan.
The body of missing woman Jaclyn Elmquist was discovered Friday in the garbage chute of a Manhattan apartment complex

Alarm bells started ringing after she never returned to her Brooklyn home or showed up for work.

Elmquist's niece Katlyn Kampmeier said her coworkers put her in a cab the night she disappeared.

Family tracked her phone to 184 11th Street before losing signal. Elmquist's body was discovered at the apartment complex just a few blocks away.

Police were called to the complex around 2:40 p.m. after a report that someone had been injured in the area.

Missing posters indicated that Elmquist was last seen getting into a yellow cab outside Catch Steakhouse in Manhattan.
The body of missing woman Jaclyn Elmquist was discovered Friday in the garbage chute of a Manhattan apartment complex

Alarm bells started ringing after she never returned to her Brooklyn home or showed up for work.

Elmquist's niece Katlyn Kampmeier said her coworkers put her in a cab the night she disappeared.

Family tracked her phone to 184 11th Street before losing signal. Elmquist's body was discovered at the apartment complex just a few blocks away.

Police were called to the complex around 2:40 p.m. after a report that someone had been injured in the area.
"police do not currently suspect foul play" hmm...sorry, but I'm always immediately suspicious with deaths involving garbage chutes. Even among the extremely intoxicated.

I believe the building has a doorman there 24/7 and likely its own security as well - apartments go for $2m, it's in a very trendy part of town right by Hudson Yards. There will likely be tons of cameras inside and around the entrance as well.

90 units, 13 stories. Cheapest rental is $3700 which is not bad at all for that area, but most are upwards of $5k.

Aw, poor young woman and her family. Sincere condolences to her loved-ones.

I hope she's not a crime victim.

To me, it sounds like her coworkers called her a cab to get her home safely. What happened next? Was she dropped off at the correct location? Did she have her keys?

I really hope they can run toxicology to make sure any drinks she consumed were not spiked.

I do not mean to place any blame on anyone in particular, just thinking about the unexpected outcome of someone who should have made it home safely but ended up in a very strange place. Why?

Do I have this timeline right:

Thu, Nov 30 late night:
* After a work party, co-workers put JE in a cab at Catch Steakhouse, 9th Ave & 16th St, Manhattan. She lives in Brooklyn, but she did not get home.
* JE seen on camera stumbling down W28th Street, Manhattan.

Fri, Dec 1
* Morning: JE does not show up for work.
* 2:40pm: Police called because JE's body found by maintenance man in trash compactor, 540 W28th St b/ 10th & 11th Ave.

Sat, Dec 2
* LE announce no foul play. LE had noticed flyers about her being missing and that was their lead to ID her.

Info from links in above posts.

Wow. Sincere condolences to her family.

jmo

Aw, poor young woman and her family. I hope she's not a crime victim.

To me, it sounds like her coworkers called her a cab to get her home safely. What happened next? Was she dropped off at the correct location? Did she have her keys?

I really hope they can run toxicology to make sure any drinks she consumed were not spiked.

I do not mean to place any blame on anyone in particular, just thinking about the unexpected outcome of someone who should have made it home safely but ended up in a very strange place. Why?
She didn't take the cab home as she was seen stumbling several blocks away from where she got into the cab.

I'd like to hear from the cab driver.

jmo

It's pretty common for drunk people to be kicked out of cabs if they are vomiting or about to vomit. It's possible the driver was headed to get on the freeway to take her back to Brooklyn but she was sick and he made her get out?

There's security footage of her looking very drunk and stumbling, trying to open other doors on that street. Such a sad situation all around but I really hope they figure out how she got into the chute.

What would be involved in ending up in one of these trash chutes by your own doing? I have never seen one...
Usually they are little doors about waist-high from the floor and open to a chute so residents can throw their trash bags away without having to go to the basement. There is usually at least one per floor, perhaps more, I suppose, if the building is big.

I don't know if new buildings have a different type of chute system. I cannot imagine crawling into the type I described, no matter how drunk. But, again, the building's chutes might be bigger than what I've seen.

I'm unclear if she was IN the chute or in the area of the basement where the chute empties.

jmo

It's pretty common for drunk people to be kicked out of cabs if they are vomiting or about to vomit. It's possible the driver was headed to get on the freeway to take her back to Brooklyn but she was sick and he made her get out?

There's security footage of her looking very drunk and stumbling, trying to open other doors on that street. Such a sad situation all around but I really hope they figure out how she got into the chute.
I'm curious about her address in Brooklyn. Perhaps it's a numbered street, and the cab driver assumed she meant a street in Manhattan and she was too drunk to realize she was still in Manhattan and not Brooklyn. Or, she gave an address to someone she wanted to see? Or, she wanted out of the cab. Or, like you said, she got kicked out of the car.

It's so sad to think a young woman essentially took a cab ride and then died.

jmo

Last edited:
I believe the building has a doorman there 24/7 and likely its own security as well - apartments go for $2m, it's in a very trendy part of town right by Hudson Yards. There will likely be tons of cameras inside and around the entrance as well.

90 units, 13 stories. Cheapest rental is $3700 which is not bad at all for that area, but most are upwards of $5k.
From the link:
" The building employs a full-time door attendant, and a live-in-superintendent."

So I'm assuming there was someone at the front door.

jmo

I would agree with inthedetails description ^^ of a trash chute. I live in a small building so we don't have one, but my best friend's building in Manhattan, built in the 90s, has a waist-high little door in the wall inside a closet next to the elevator. I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs and I could probably fit inside but it would be a tight squeeze and I probably wouldn't slide/drop down.

It's also fairly common for them to have the type of door that donation boxes have - it opens outward and you place a bag in it, then close the door and it drops down. A human couldn't fit in one like that.

I would agree with inthedetails description ^^ of a trash chute. I live in a small building so we don't have one, but my best friend's building in Manhattan, built in the 90s, has a waist-high little door in the wall inside a closet next to the elevator. I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs and I could probably fit inside but it would be a tight squeeze and I probably wouldn't slide/drop down.

It's also fairly common for them to have the type of door that donation boxes have - it opens outward and you place a bag in it, then close the door and it drops down. A human couldn't fit in one like that.
I cannot imagine a drunk person having the coordination it would take to get into a chute from a residential floor. Since LE is saying no foul play suspected, I'm thinking she had to somehow access the garbage area in the basement and perhaps got into some sort of utility area where the chutes empty. ?? It is strange.

I am curious what COD will be. That will provide some answers, imo.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back