Woman's body found in basement of luxury apartment building in Manhattan

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A coworker and I were roofied at a work event. I ended up wandering around downtown blacked out for several hours before eventually finding my way onto a train. I ended up in an apartment building lobby next door to my boyfriend's building - I had followed someone in and they held the door for me. I have about 5 minutes of memories for a total of six hours. It terrifies me when I hear about others who were in a similar situation and did not end up ok like I miraculously did.
Sounds like hell. So sorry that happened to you. When you look at the video of her staggering on 28th does she look drunk or roofie? I'm concerned she was drugged at the party.

jmo

I'm wondering if there is a chute that is more like a trap door at street level, that is wider than what we're thinking of as a chute from the residential floors. I could see someone inebriated stumbling into an open hatch on the ground/sidewalk. In fact, that wouldn't surprise me.

jmo

An apartment chute is primarily used to dispose of the garbage in a sanitary way in high-rise and mid-rise buildings. You only need to open the door of the chute on your floor. Put the trash inside, and close the door. The garbage goes directly to the central waste location, such as a dumpster or a compactor.
Trash chutes are usually made of galvanized steel, stainless steel, or aluminized steel. You can find a door to intake garbage on every floor. There are chute support frames made from steel and bar stock on each floor.

The diameter of garbage chutes can be 20-36 inches. The discharge door is at the bottom of the tube connected with the compactor or dumpster.

This is why I have a hard time believing she fell into one as stated in my post above:
View attachment 465447View attachment 465448

I realize what LE are claiming but could she have gained access to the bin via underground parking garage???

I'd like to know which is accurate: was she found in a garbage chute or a trash compactor? The articles are saying both things. Whilst those two things are related, I would consider the chute and the compactor to be different parts of the disposal system.

Considering Elisa Lam managed to climb into a water tower at the roof of the Cecil Hotel and drown, I'm open to a lot of different possibilities as to how JE ended up where found. COD should help.

These cases get kinda convoluted sometimes.

I also point to the case of Jack Wheeler, a high profile name who no one can still be certain of how he wound up in the dumpster.

Corrie Mckeague was a British airmen who went missing under strange circumstances and is also highly suspected of sleeping inside a dumpster and accidentally being crushed to death.

Sounds like hell. So sorry that happened to you. When you look at the video of her staggering on 28th does she look drunk or roofie? I'm concerned she was drugged at the party.

jmo
Honestly, it's hard to tell, but she definitely doesn't look sober ): She could very well have had a lot to drink in a short period of time - work parties often have time limits on the open bar - and it caught up with her as she was leaving.

I'm wondering if there is a chute that is more like a trap door at street level, that is wider than what we're thinking of as a chute from the residential floors. I could see someone inebriated stumbling into an open hatch on the ground/sidewalk. In fact, that wouldn't surprise me.

jmo

I don't think that is possible. I'm not an expert but have done security surveys as part of a job.
The dumpsters typically are all enclosed, with (1) only a top or top to side opening that lines up with the garbage chute of the building. The use of compactor dumpsters has to meet safety requirements, each city and state will have its own rules for certain buildings, including rodent control. In addition, some insurance companies require the area to be secure.

I don't think that is possible. I'm not an expert but have done security surveys as part of a job.
The dumpsters typically are all enclosed, with (1) only a top or top to side opening that lines up with the garbage chute of the building. The use of compactor dumpsters has to meet safety requirements, each city and state will have its own rules for certain buildings, including rodent control. In addition, some insurance companies require the area to be secure.
Super good info. That makes sense. Thanks.

What's your thought on how she got where she was found?

jmo

Super good info. That makes sense. Thanks.

What's your thought on how she got where she was found?

jmo

I am hoping that there is video of the chute accesses/hallway, which will take some time if they don't know which floor she was on.
If she wandered into the building by mistake, I would say it was a tragic accident and we will never know what she mistakenly thought she was doing. Depending on the chutes, there could be something at the location she entered, DNA, hair caught in metal seams, etc. I don't know how much forensics they will do without any evidence of a crime.
Not related to this, but this man died in a compactor dumpster. And an intoxicated woman in the other video.

Last edited:
How is trash from +Art collected from the compactor and taken away? Looks like manually. From a quote from the same link which shows her on video (BBM):
Residents of the building, horrified by the news of the woman's death, learned a maintenance worker found the woman's body while taking out the trash.

DSNY (City of New York Department of Sanitation) collection schedule for the address:

Trash collection is much different in NYC than in other cities I've lived in. A hired private maintenance company comes to my building twice a week to bag up and organize trash from the trash room and move it to the curb for the sanitation workers to pick up, I think this is common due to the lack of alleys and back entrances to most buildings.

How is trash from +Art collected from the compactor and taken away? Looks like manually. From a quote from the same link which shows her on video (BBM):

Residents of the building, horrified by the news of the woman's death, learned a maintenance worker found the woman's body while taking out the trash.

DSNY (City of New York Department of Sanitation) collection schedule for the address:

But, but, but, twas said upthread there was no basement...

Snipped from your link fwiw...
...Police said a building employee came across the 24-year-old woman Friday afternoon in the basement of the building.

Which witch?

In this part of Manhattan, there are very few alleys or back entrances to buildings, and the building she was found in does not appear to have any service or maintenance entrance - it's touching other buildings on all sides.

I'd be very surprised if a building that's less than 15 years old and with nearly 100 units had no way to bring the trash out except through the front door. Hard to tell, but looking at the facade on Google Street View, the service entrance could be the glass door that on the right (circled in red).

540.jpg

Or perhaps they have a deal with the building on W. 27th across the courtyard.

But, but, but, twas said upthread there was no basement...

Snipped from your link fwiw...
...Police said a building employee came across the 24-year-old woman Friday afternoon in the basement of the building.

Which witch?
I believe what was said was that the building has no garage. It almost certainly has a basement.

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if a building that's less than 15 years old and with nearly 100 units had no way to bring the trash out except through the front door. Hard to tell, but looking at the facade on Google Street View, the service entrance could be the glass door that on the right (circled in red).

View attachment 465502

Or perhaps they have a deal with the building on W. 27th across the courtyard.
There is a commercial unit on the main floor of the building, so I assume the circled red door is the commercial unit. It was an art gallery at some point.

The commercial unit could be how she accessed the building. I toured it on Matterport but I couldn't find any internal doors that connect it to the residential part of the building.

There is a commercial unit on the main floor of the building, so I assume the circled red door is the commercial unit. It was an art gallery at some point.

The commercial unit could be how she accessed the building. I toured it on Matterport but I couldn't find any internal doors that connect it to the residential part of the building.
To me it looks like the storefront entrance on the building's right side is the door I've circled in blue.

That door on the far right, however, doesn't look like to me as if it's part of a commercial unit, and I think I can see an emergency exit sign as well (yellow arrow).
540.jpg

I realize what LE are claiming but could she have gained access to the bin via underground parking garage???

quoting myself to add / basement....

or are ya'll saying the compactor / trash bin is not in the basement?

and i apologize in advance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back