Woof: Wearable Computers for Dogs Are Coming

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Reality Orlando, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

Wow. From MIT Technology Review:

"In an early study, the researchers equipped a dog vest with an Arduino microprocessor and tested four different sensors that dogs could activate by biting, tugging, or putting their mouth nearby. The three service dogs participating in the test quickly learned to activate the sensors to set off a tone, Jackson says. A paper detailing the group’s initial findings will be presented at ISWC.

Beyond helping disabled people navigate more effectively, FIDO could enable bomb-sniffing dogs to communicate with handlers remotely about what specific type of bomb they’ve encountered, and rescue dogs could remotely alert a human team that they’ve found an injured person. A grant from Google will allow the researchers to study some of these applications. Eventually, Jackson could even see a device that would let a pet dog alert you if it’s hungry or needs to go out."

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/516461/next-in-wearable-computing-a-device-for-dogs/

2. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

LOL. Like they need a computer to tell us that? Cats and dogs have had thousands of years to effectively learn how to tell us when they are hungry or want to go out.

I do not think they will decide to use a computer instead of relaying the info the old fashioned way!

3. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

I will say that I taught Guppy how to tell me he needs to go out by pushing a button that sounded a door bell. After that we moved to a bell he would ring and now he finally just barks and runs in circles. But, I can see this working in many wonderful ways for service dogs.