WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus or testing for Coronavirus (Group Hug)

We have had patients show up at our clinics asking to be tested, in nearly all of our clinics we have no CV test kits so we aren’t testing.

We advise them to call the dedicated health department CV hotline, and give them the number. They are screened by health department personnel, but unless they are high risk (over age 65, or with other chronic conditions) they aren’t offered testing but told to go home and self-quarantine.

There simply aren’t enough tests available to test everyone who needs tested.

Is there any information about when test kits will be available? Without the test, many will probably assume that self-quarantine is a "suggestion" without scientific basis.

Is there any information about when test kits will be available? Without the test, many will probably assume that self-quarantine is a "suggestion" without scientific basis.
The tests that are available in many states are being made available to hospitals first.

We don’t know when we will be able to get them for our clinics, we have ordered them but they are still on backorder.

I have not yet sought nor taken a test. I am at some risk, but I'm staying at home here in NC.

Bless you, @IceIce9, your co-workers and all of our healthcare pros. Take a good deep breath every now and then, and know that you are doing wonderful things for the people of the world. Making miracles.
Be good to yourself and rest when you can so that you can fight another day. :)

The thing is - testing does not impact treatment. It's a virus. Treatment is of symptoms only.
Testing gives us data on transmission and spread but DOES NOT guide treatment.
We need to be aware of those who test positive for Coronavirus so those who have had close contact can self-quarantine for 2 weeks to slow the spread.

We need to be aware of those who test positive for Coronavirus so those who have had close contact can self-quarantine for 2 weeks to slow the spread.

I don't disagree. But transmission is possible BEFORE symptomatic. I guess my take is this: You feel sick? Self-quarantine voluntarily without exposing others by showing up in an ER to get tested. You don't feel sick? Take all recommended precautions (hygiene, physical distancing).
Results are not instantaneous anyway.

Some of the issue with testing is that a special swab is required. Apparently there is a shortage of the swabs that are required for the test.

I needed a swab last night for a patient in a long term care unit and our local hospital parted with one and only one. We have about 115 patients. But meanmaryjean, you are right. You have to treat the symptoms.

In East TN, the disqualifying question for testing is 'Have you travelled internationally in the (specific time period)?' No travel, no test even though that is irrelevant to how it is currently spreading in the US.
International travel was an important question at first, before it had spread in the US. Now that Coronavirus has been confirmed in all states it matters not.

The thing is - testing does not impact treatment. It's a virus. Treatment is of symptoms only.
Testing gives us data on transmission and spread but DOES NOT guide treatment.
That's not exactly true. There is anti malaria drug (effectiveness against covid still not clear) but it can be prescribed off label.
There is an experimental anti-viral that can be given either through clinical trial or for compassionate use. So, yes, correct diagnosis could be very important.

Hello guys, I am fairly sure I have this blinking virus so thought I would hop on here and share with you. Hopefully to reassure.

I am in the UK, county of Bucks where a few people have sadly died already. I work in retail and my husband commutes to London on the train. So there was always a good chance I might get it. Also someone coughed in my face earlier this week (really appreciated that) and I was at the hairdresser last Saturday. She had been in London all week on a course, using the tube every day. So there are risks there, for sure.

My symptoms started yesterday morning. A huge headache which floored me. Luckily I wasnt due into the work so I stayed home in bed. I thought maybe it was stress related after a nightmare week, as I know headache isnt a typical starting point for the virus. In the afternoon, a cough started up. I do cough a lot anyway but not usually through the day. This cough has started to make my back ache now and although it isnt constant, I can have a bout that ends up in a squeaky kind of cough and leaves me shattered.

I am very very tired. Had a bath first thing today and have been in bed all day again. Although I would stay in my room anyway to keep from family, I would struggle at the mo to make coffee and toast. Thank God for Mr HKP.

I have a v low appetite. Have to be encouraged to eat like a child. This is not me at all!! Normally could eat like a horse all the time.

Weird one but I have a numb dry tongue. It feels almost scratchy but actually isnt. Hard to describe.

My eyes have on and off been dry and itchy. Not conjunctivitis but just something I noticed.

Stupidly, we have no thermometer (ordered one now). Sometimes in myself I feel v hot (like now, it's gone 9pm and my window is open for the breeze). Other times I am under the duvet with layers on and hot water bottle.

My legs ache a lot! But they often do, due to vit D deficiency. They are v uncomfortable tho, kept me awake last night. I was rationing the paracetamol but dont need to tonight thank goodness, we have supplies!

Earlier my chest felt a bit tight. My breathing was fine, I was just aware of it. If I take a deep breath in, I always cough out.

So you prob know but here in the UK we only test hospital cases now. This is really hard because I would love to know for sure. I went on NHS 111 online and completed the short questionnaire and it said my symptoms "suggest coronavirus infection", even without me confirming a high temperature. So I suppose I just have to take that as what's happening.

So we are following the guidance here. Husband and son will self isolate for 14 days and I will for 7 initially.

Right this minute, I do not feel too bad. Despite the paracetamol, the headache is trying to inch back in. Legs are aching. But I have eaten something and just had a cup of tea (of course...). My brain feels feverish which is the worst thing as I cant sleep. Cough has settled for now.

My biggest worry is that Mr HKP has asthma and it seems v likely he will get this too, although he is sleeping in another room and avoiding me as much as poss other than to deliver food and drink trays at the door bless him.

So right now, I'm not too bad at all which hopefully may be reassuring altho it is early days and I know we will possibly all react differently.

Incidentally I have controlled hypertension and take Losartan but have no intention of stopping taking it.

Ask me anything and if anyone has similar symptoms I'd be interested to know.

ETA age wise, I believe I would qualify as golden these days but only just ;)

HKP

Hi all, I am v lazily quoting my own post from the main cv thread! Someone suggested I come over here and share what's happening with me at the mo. Hope you find it helpful.

Effectiveness not clear. HUGE side effect potential. Now creating shortages for those who need it for its intended purpose. #medtwitter is all over this
I went to refill my prescription two days ago and the pharmacy is out, unsure of when more will be available. Maybe just a coincidence but this has never happened to me before.

We have had quite a few patients call and say they have had a cold, or cold symptoms, and they are not allowed to return to work until they have a coronavirus test. If the test is negative, they can return to work. But their employer won’t allow them back until they have a negative test. Problem is, they can’t find a place to get tested. So they are off work until they are able to get a coronavirus test.

This discussion is for personal stories from people who are part of this community to discuss coming into contact with the virus.

Anyone who is is isolation, quarantine, or ill, please let us know.

My son will be in isolation when he arrives in Canada in the next 24 hours, and we don't yet have a safe place for him to isolate. He can't isolate at home, regardless of the number of bathrooms and bedrooms, plates and cutlery sets. He cannot self-isolate at home because no one at home is willing to take the risk, much as we love him.

There are no facilities for him to self-isolate. I can probably trick a hotel into taking him for 2 weeks, but then what, call them to disinfect the room after he vacates?

Who else is dealing with isolate, quarantine and illness?
Ohio man trying to protect his parents by self-quarantining in tent

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back